Bellator Signs Rory Macdonald

I thought Dana White said they don't let guys moving up the top 15 in their division go ( remember that comment he said after Bendo left) plus I read that the UFC didn't want to match Bellators offer, Rory probably gets a title shot like Bendo

I thought Dana White said they don't let guys moving up the top 15 in their division go ( remember that comment he said after Bendo left) plus I read that the UFC didn't want to match Bellators offer, Rory probably gets a title shot like Bendo

No doubt he gets first crack at the WW champ Andrey if he wants it.

I thought this to, Rory at MW could be a smart decision for Bellator, can bring money and ratings, Koreshkov have already a large list of opponents waiting at WW and Carvhallo has no-one

I don't know if he is big enough for that division but I feel that Rory would beat Carvhallo, sespecially if he come out fighting like he did v. Melvin Maneofo

This signing surprised me the most because I would have sworn Rory was using Bellator just to raise his worth, I never believed that he was going to leave the UFC. But after that last Bellator Kickboxing event and the dude Raymond (who Rory brought into camp to mimic Wonderboy) had GSP cornering him. I bet Bellator was GSP's ear about Rory.

I'm pretty shocked UFC would let him go considering his win over Woodley.

I think it was one of two situations;

Him and the UFC accepted this was the best for him right now and left the door wide open for a return. He's incredibly young, if he storms through Bellator, UFC can re-sign him with fresh momentum and they get the joy of knowing Bellator is left with the guys he beat. Makes financial sense for both Rory and the UFC if it does play out that way. He gets paid what he's worth as a fighter, and the UFC doesn't have to do it until they think he's profitable again.

The other is what I feared, the UFC now being owned by a talent agency has cemented the shift from sport to a star-driven reality tv. The new owners probably looked at nothing but social media metrics and what he was asking for, and wouldn't even negotiate. He just doesn't have the personality you can sell out of a cage. If that's what made this happen it's essentially s statement saying "It doesn't matter how good you are if we can't sell you outside the cage". And that's fucking scary.

Man! I hope you're wrong...

But I think you're right. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeavyChag
Back