Bellator Signs Rory Macdonald

CC27

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
http://www.flocombat.com/article/45513-breaking-rory-macdonald-signs-with-bellator

Rory MacDonald has found a new home.

The long-time top UFC welterweight has signed a new deal with Bellator MMA after a brief free agency period. The UFC elected not to exercise the matching clause in MacDonald's expired contract.

Sources close to the deal confirmed the news with FloCombat on Wednesday. Earlier in the day, MacDonald was removed from the UFC's official rankings.

MacDonald has reigned as one of the top 170-pound fighters in the world for the past several years, and has been involved in several classic matchups inside the UFC cage. The 27-year-old has hit a rough patch as of late in back to back losses, but his market value still remains incredibly high because of his resume and potential.

Bellator locking down MacDonald is undoubtedly the biggest free agent signing in the promotion's history, and it is another strong step in a recent uptick of activity.

Great signing for Bellator, a young top 5 WW.

Fights vs Koreshkov, Lima and MVP down the line are really interesting fights.

So the guy who beat UFC WW Champ is now in Bellator?

Amazing... he should beat anyone at Bellator.

Gotta give him a real tough guy as his first fight, is Rudy Bears available? Dennis Olson would work too. But for real, great signing. It'll be interesting to see who they give him first, perhaps Gonzalez or Njokouani, Gilbert Smith if they want to give him an easy win while not making it a total can crush fight.

Lets just start off with a bang and give him Michael Page as his first fight.

Then we can really see where MVP's ceiling is at.

Wow. That's a legit loss for the UFC. Dana and co. had better have something spectacular up their sleeves to let Rory Mac go. Bellator is making some big time moves as of late!

looking.gif

Bellator signed the Tyron-Slayer? That's a heavy card right there.

Bellator presents the debut of "The Red King".. Very marketable.

great signing. Bellator WW division is shaping up nicely and there are some verry competitve fights for Rory in that division.

Great signing for Bellator, a young top 5 WW.

Fights vs Koreshkov, Lima and MVP down the line are really interesting fights.
Semtex and chidi would make for great stand up scraps as well.

People may bash bellator for releasing guys like held and Bradley and such, but if it means singing someone like Mac, it makes complete business sense

Lets see if he can avoid the ex-ufc fighter curse...

I think he will stay with Bellator for quite some time. They will make him rather active, likely fighting 3 times a year. Only see a small handful of decent opponents for him though.

-Douglas Lima
-MVP
-Koreshkov
-Paul Daley

I don't want to see Rory fighting the likes of Fernando Gonzalez, Koshcheck, Brennan Ward or Cyborg.

Meh. Who really cares about Bellator any more if it's not their BW & FW division. I care about some individual fighters - MVP, Chandler, etc. but Bellator pretty much broke my heart.

They halved their schedule, nixed tournaments, and for what? A lot of their headliners are just as awful as when they were having cards more frequently. They let their homegrown guys go (this is what really gets me), while they overpaid freakshows and octogenarians.

I think they'll throw him in there with Koreshkov right away. Good for Rory, get dat cheddar.

they spending a lot of money...wonder if they can get Larkin too, WW is already starting to get interesting, Larkin would even make it more so

Back