Bellator Signs Rory Macdonald

Great signing by Bellator never thought the UFC would let him go. He must have got a pretty big amount.

Great signing. They have a chance to get cowboy.... The issue is perception. Bellator is seen as second rate.Name value has made UFC brand name

I would be shocked if the UFC let Cerrone go but I'm nearly as shocked by them letting Rory go.

I would be shocked if the UFC let Cerrone go but I'm nearly as shocked by them letting Rory go.

Really??

Sure Rory is a great fighter. But at the same time has kind of run through the gauntlet at WW. He does zero to promote any of his fights. The UFC does an embedded or what ever feature with him and he literally does the bare minimum and it comes off as just plain boring. He comes out says I hate doing any media stuff. That is all fine but that isn't how you get paid the big $$$$$.

I like watching him fight. But he surely doesn't get me excited leading up to his fights. I've always been more excited about the match up than him fighting and most of it had to do with his opponent. In Bellator he won't have the luxury of the fighter standing across from him putting butts in the seats or eyes on the tube. I'll be very interested in seeing what ratings he pulls.

I do like the signing of Rory. I just hope some of the recent cuts wasn't because of the signing. But history seems to show that when Bellator starts cutting a few (WTF are you doing type) fighters they land a named guy.

Quick! We need to think of some excuses in case he loses. I have a few.
- Rory lost his last two fights, he's clearly not that good.
- Rory hasn't been the same since the Lawler fight
- [Bellator fighter who beat him] got lucky
- Who cares? Rory would clearly lose to the current UFC champ if they ever fought.

Really??

Sure Rory is a great fighter. But at the same time has kind of run through the gauntlet at WW. He does zero to promote any of his fights. The UFC does an embedded or what ever feature with him and he literally does the bare minimum and it comes off as just plain boring. He comes out says I hate doing any media stuff. That is all fine but that isn't how you get paid the big $$$$$.

I like watching him fight. But he surely doesn't get me excited leading up to his fights. I've always been more excited about the match up than him fighting and most of it had to do with his opponent. In Bellator he won't have the luxury of the fighter standing across from him putting butts in the seats or eyes on the tube. I'll be very interested in seeing what ratings he pulls.

I do like the signing of Rory. I just hope some of the recent cuts wasn't because of the signing. But history seems to show that when Bellator starts cutting a few (WTF are you doing type) fighters they land a named guy.

I can't argue with a lot of this. I think it's surprising because of the canadian market and Rory is so young. Your right though whenever his fights come up I'm more excited to just see if his opponent can beat him so I can know if we have a new contender.

ufc never wanted this guy as a champion anyways he has the personality of a shovel. let them pay him to fight in the clown show bellator is.

I think they let him go cause Rory is very odd cat. The guy simply doesn't want to do anything to help his own stock outside of just showing up and fighting. Which is fine, but at the same time you'll never reach your true value. So it also effects the promotions bottom line. The dude is just boring outside of his fights. He rarely even does an interview and when he has done any embedded kind of shows he makes you yawn. I think the UFC just feels like they got what they got out of him and time to move on. Similar to guys like Fitch, Okami, and even Phil Davis.

In Bellator he can just show up and fight. There won't be anyone reaching out weekly to him for promotional type stuff.

Good signing for Bellator and probably explains a few recent cuts to help clear money for Rory. Which in itself is a whole other problem and tells us fans Spike isn't all in with Bellator and its running on a very strict budget.

You're 100% right.

I wonder what would happen though if Viacom/Spike said "Funk it" and went ba//s out with Bellator... Hmmmm...

well...thats a helluva signing. No doubt about it. If they can land Cowboy and Larkin...Bellator will have a very strong WW division ..they might even dare try to bring Ben Askren back

Bellator is making moves.

I'm sure he will be back in the UFC at some point in his career, but I like this move for right now.

Big signing for Bellator. Will help them with any Canadian shows they plan to do. I wonder if Rory will be allowed to fight for Rizin in addition to his Bellator schedule?

They should push a huge card on cbs following an NFL playoff gm. Get more eyes on the organization

Big signing for Bellator. Will help them with any Canadian shows they plan to do. I wonder if Rory will be allowed to fight for Rizin in addition to his Bellator schedule?
I don't think he'd be able to, unless Coker sent him as a Bellator representative.

I wonder if the UFC think Rory is damaged goods at this point after the Lawler war. Letting a top guy in his prime go isn't normal, especially one who has earned nothing but praise from Dana White. Not exactly a Shields situation where watching Rory fight is a chore. He's very exciting. Or Bellator really did offer him so much money that the UFC paying him wouldn't work for them. Weird. But now we'll finally see how Bellator's best WWs stack up. Better not fucking have him fight their usual slew of journeymen. It'd be a waste of everyone's time.

Awesome signing. There was still a lot I wanted to see him do on UFC, but there are some decent fights in Bellator and will hopefully be treated like the excellent fighter he is.

he knew gsp was coming back so he left

All the best to Rory, good Canadian kid from BC. Fuck the UFC, get that money and go for the title. Good for him.

Back