Bellator 178: Straus vs. Pitbull 4 (7pm ET Prelims - 9pm Main Card) Fri. April 21st Discussion

I think the Pitbull that showed up tonight is going to handle Weichel just fine, who imo lost that fight to Macapa.

I think Weichel is a little overrated to be honest. He has been winning, but he's not exactly impressive or exciting. He's got good boxing fundamentals, that's about all I can really say for him.

I think Patricio would fare alright vs Chandler, Straus is a big 145er and Patricio was hanging in there vs Bendo so it might just be competitive.

As for Straus, let's see him vs Macapa next. That would be a good one

Good boxing fundamentals is more than a lot of fighters have, and one does not need to be exciting or impressive looking to be a top fighter. Top fighters win, and Weichel wins. I don't expect him to beat Pitbull, but it isn't a given.

I'd like to see Weichel get a title shot next, and hopefully they make that fight soon. If Pitbull wins and Chandler manages to be impressive vs Primus, that champ vs champ fight is the one to make. There's a great story and a great matchup, they could build a great card on that main event.

I think if they do that fight it's gonna be next for Pitbull. Weichel gets screwed again.

I'm sure they would love to do that but I think you need to give Weichel the fight and get it out of the way.

After that both divs would be clear for them to meet up but yeah they could def just say screw it and do it next.

Def would be one of the two best fights Bellator can make imo, other being WW with combo or Rory vs Lima or Larkin for the title.

What a bizarre series between these 2. After last fight i was sure Straus had pitbull figured out.

There is NO such thing as a sure thing, in mma. That's what makes the sport so exciting.

A good fuckin night for Pitbull.

I think the Pitbull that showed up tonight is going to handle Weichel just fine, who imo lost that fight to Macapa.

I think Weichel is a little overrated to be honest. He has been winning, but he's not exactly impressive or exciting. He's got good boxing fundamentals, that's about all I can really say for him.

I think Patricio would fare alright vs Chandler, Straus is a big 145er and Patricio was hanging in there vs Bendo so it might just be competitive.

As for Straus, let's see him vs Macapa next. That would be a good one
Nothing wrong with just being fundimentally sound imo. The overwhelming majority of the time, fundamentals are all you really need. Weichel has that.

I'd like to see weichel rematch pitbull again. This fight interests me. I honestly like the point karate stance/style pitbull adopted for last nights bout. It worked for him. I also liked the fact that he engaged in the clinch a lot more. Utilizing more of his overall game can only benefit pitbull. What has gotten him in trouble in the past is that he fell in love with his power, and wanted to strike at range with everyone. This allowed for him to give up a fair amount of range to people like weichel and straus(when pitbull lost his belt).

Adopting a point karate stance, and closing distance quickly should work well for pitbull in a rematch against Daniel.

Smith is absolutely right when he says that grappling with pitbull is like grappling with a fire hydrant. I've been saying that pitbull needs to clinch more with straus to have a better shot. I think working in the clinch against weichel will also give him a huge advantage.

I'm not going to lie; I don't wanna see chandler ca little pitbull. Both are on my favs list. Don't wanna see either lose. Would be a hell of a fight though.

Straus wouldn't commit to anything really, even on take downs. He looked off, just had the vibe during the walkouts that Pitbull had this in the bag even though I was cheering for Straus.

i watched the card. It was pretty good. Fast forwarded through most of the wmma card. AJ looked good with the kick. I'm interested in his next fight.

The only thing i was really shocked about was the PPV ad segment. Wand and Chael looked AWFUL. I was shocked at how old and frail they looked. I was excited a lot for the fight until i saw that. I still like it but it really hit how old they are. Fedor looked terrible as well. Very flabby and fat. He's still solid but a lot of flab these days. Mitrione looked huge.

Chandler cleared his division and Pitbull has already beat Weichel and Curran. Dantas still has Caldwell to deal with.

I like Chandler but let's call a spade a spade, the UFC cleared the division for him.

I knew Straus would lose when I saw him interviewed early in the show. Looked like he didn't want to be there. But there were some nic finishes. One of bellators more entertaining shows lately I thought.

Back