Being obese is now a disease

Ok, you have $33 a week in food stamps. Go ahead and make a healthy grocery list and get back to me. Oh, and that's for being single, now feed you and 2 kids.

So $33 is somehow enough to buy junk food and cookies and treats and sodas for yourself and your 2 kids for a whole week but not enough to buy rice and beans and chicken and milk?

Dude, plz.

So $33 is enough to buy junk food, cookies, treats and sodas for yourself and your 2 kids but not enough to buy rice and beans and chicken and milk?

Dude, plz.

Where's the grocery list? Go to a grocery store website, build a grocery list and screenshot it. Let's see what you guys are eating on a weekly basis.

Where's the grocery list? Go to a grocery store website, build a grocery list and screenshot it. Let's see what you guys are eating on a weekly basis.

Are you really going to argue that if you're poor you can't afford milk but you can afford cookies?

Ok, you have $33 a week in food stamps. Go ahead and make a healthy grocery list and get back to me. Oh, and that's for being single, now feed you and 2 kids.

I could make a list based on myself. I'm not going to screencap shit because I'm not doing that work, but I know what food costs here as I do all of our shopping. I'm in Indiana - so I know it's cheaper than some of the US and Canada.

Milk (a half gallon goes for around $2.50)
Turkey Breast (1 lbs goes for around $5 here)
Wraps (6 wraps goes for about $2 here)
Spinach (small bag goes for around $1.50 here)
Produce Items - Broccoli, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Apples (Around $10 for week)
Chicken Breasts (3 full sized chicken breasts go for around $4.50 on sale - if they weren't on sale, I'd buy two the weeks they are)
Pasta and rice ($2)
Eggs (18 pack - $2)
Cheese (shredded cheddar): $2
Tuna (5 cans - $3.50)

This puts the list a little above budget at $35. This is eating eggs every morning in a spinach omelet w/ a bit of tomato, A turkey wrap w/ spinach and tomato and an apple on the side for lunch, and some variation of chicken w/ potatoes or rice or tuna w/ pasta for dinner.

Including cleaning supplies/pet food/other non-food items, I'm spending around $125-$150 on average for us (me, wife, son). We eat salmon and steak a lot too (buy in bulk). We do eat out once a week though. People overemphasize how much food costs at the store. If you know how to cook, dinners can be pretty cheap.

Again, as I pointed out elsewhere - it's often all you CAN buy. And that's the best case scenario - the worst case is that it's all you can BUY (low price of junkfood due to subsidized corn industry) *and* you don't know any better.

That is such a cop-out. Stop making excuses and blaming it on the government and high fructose corn syrup. The only argument the Farm Bill introduces is that a purer form of sugar cannot be used versus HFCS for sweetening due to the price discrepancy, and you don't need to eat sweetened food. Buying junk food is a choice.

I have a relative who has no issue feeding herself and her kid(s) on food stamps in a semi healthy manner. It isn't expensive organics but the kid on whole food is always munching on broccoli and fruit.

The whole food argument is irrelevant anyways if you remove the sedentary lifestyle and add physical activity. I ate ridiculous amounts of candy when I was a kid, probably more than anyone in this forum ( My father owned a distribution business which gave me access to warehouses full of junk), but I was in 3 sports minimum a year from the age of 4 on, and if it wasn't organized it was hours of back yard sports or miles of bike riding. Why are prison inmates able to get yoked off of ramen, tuna, and candy?

My question is this: do you really think your parents really didn't know that sitting around all day eating cookies/treats/soda/etc. will gradually make you fat? And as they saw you getting fat, do you really think they couldn't have known that all that shit must have been a factor there?

Yes, they didn't "know" for all practical purposes, they weren't told and then were thrust out on their own and set with concerns like keeping whatever food on the table they could afford (ie: boxes of govt shit most of the time) or a roof over our heads and trying to enjoy their own youth to some degree, before they had a chance to develop like people from better socio economic backgrounds or with more educated parents. And I dare say I had it better than most poorer people, they werent violent drunks or addicted to anything, they were just too young. The average situation is FAR worse than what I had, both in terms of living conditions and quality of humans.

They certainly had a clue that overeating and sitting around is what helps make you fat, but the real gravitas of it was lost to them, and their entire generation for the most part. Now we're a few generations deep into that, and it's only gotten worse.

It may seem hard to believe if you grew up in a better sort of area and/or are fairly young and educated yourself, but this is how it happens most of the time. This is whats actually out there.

And not all poorer people are fat, its not that one issue that gives me this perspective, its just that when you're poorer, you're far more likely to have underdeveloped surroundings that can have quite a profound effect on your perspective, which is what drives everything in your life.

I totally agree that as an adult its your own responsibility, but taking ownership of it is extremely difficult when you aren't grown with the tools to do so. It was extremely hard for me to do so, requiring many changes in character and approach over long periods of time, and those are the things I try to foster when I try to give advice/help out other people struggling with the same situation.

Circling back to the point of the thread I think education about these things is the only real way to make a difference, not just about the nutrition, but about lifestyle and approach to living in general. Lifestyle has been highjacked by corporations that manipulate the information that gets shoved down peoples throats, literally and metaphorically, to keep them sick, ignorant, and consuming.

Declaring it a disease will likely have a positive effect overall, despite what I may think (my own personal opinion) about using the term disease, but I think much broader strokes can be made, though those would involved harming large corporations quite a bit, which won't happen while they run everything.

Milk (a half gallon goes for around $2.50)
Turkey Breast (1 lbs goes for around $5 here)
Wraps (6 wraps goes for about $2 here)
Spinach (small bag goes for around $1.50 here)
Produce Items - Broccoli, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Apples (Around $10 for week)
Chicken Breasts (3 full sized chicken breasts go for around $4.50 on sale - if they weren't on sale, I'd buy two the weeks they are)
Pasta and rice ($2)
Eggs (18 pack - $2)
Cheese (shredded cheddar): $2
Tuna (5 cans - $3.50)

Not bad. In my last couple of months of school I was living on a little over $30 a week, and mine was similar.

1 bag of milk (Oh Canada)
1 loaf of bread (half price when it was soon to be stale)
1 carton of eggs
3 cans of kidney beans
2 boxes of rice
1 green pepper
1 kielbasa sausage
Pork chops
Asparagus, broccoli, or green beans depending on what was on sale.
Maybe fruit depending on what was on sale.

Bonus money would go towards orange juice, peanut butter, cereal, or ice cream if one of them was on sale.

I'd have a couple of eggs every morning, with toast, a bit of milk and some cereal if I had some. Lunch was rice and beans with green pepper and sausage. Dinner was the same every other day, alternating with pork chops and whatever vegetable I had. Water was the go-to beverage, with small glasses of milk worked in between the meals.

Macros and satiation weren't too bad, and I certainty wasn't gaining weight lol. Of course I was also in school (and hanging around these boards for advices) so I sort of knew what I was doing ahead of time.

My grocery list for the week:

6 pounds of chicken breast or any other cheaper meat that I like - 18$
3 pounds of oats- 2$
some whey protein shakes - 7$
olive oil ~150ml - 1.5$
10 eggs - 1.5$
2 pounds basmati rice -1.5$
32.5$

If I'm feeling generous, I buy some beer and veggies/whatever I feel like. If I feel poor, I buy less meat, drink more protein shakes. Possibly I substitute quark for meat, as it's way cheaper per g of protein.

Also consider that those prices are relatively high by US standards I think (besides the oats maybe?), and the average salary is like 3 times lower here too.

I must have a disease too because I have a hard time putting on weight.

I must have a disease too because I have a hard time putting on weight.

Most people that have a hard time gaining just don't eat enough. What you think is enough to gain probably isn't close.

I buy various types of meats, lean red meat and ground beef, chicken breasts, some lean porkchops, fatty fish like salmon and tuna. Plain greek yogurt, fat free (skim) milk, eggs, some low-fat cheese.

I buy lots of greens...romaine lettuce, various veggie packs for stir frying, some fresh veggies and produce like bell peppers, onions, strawberries, bananas.

The only thing I buy from a grains standpoint is oatmeal.

I also get some red wine for a daily small serving or two.

Most people that have a hard time gaining just don't eat enough. What you think is enough to gain probably isn't close.

4,500+ calories a day...I have a fast metabolism....I mean a disease.

-EDIT-

Nevermind, link to the article no longer works. Anyways, on CNNs homepage it was talking about overweight peoples rights groups being upset that being obese was labelled as a disease, and they felt that a larger comittee including at least some 'heavier' people in every field discuss it.

These two comments really stood out:

"They do not seem to understand that calling one-third of the natural variety in a population 'sick' is a hostile act and undermines the trust that millions of people would otherwise place in their doctors' advice," Burgard said.

As one petition signer, Victoria Centanni, commented: "My doctor already attributes all of my health problems to my being fat. It makes me want to avoid seeking health care for any reason."

Just blew my mind. I honestly have no idea how you would even go about trying to help people like that, and I feel bad for their doctors more than anything else. It's also worth noting that in the first quote, the person talking seems to think that one third of the population is obese, and that being obese is part of the natural variety in population. I don't think 1/3 of a population has ever been obese before, and can't see how it can be argued that that is a number that occurs in nature.

Last edited:
4,500+ calories a day...I have a fast metabolism....I mean a disease.

Guy i work with is 22 years old. He works out 4 days a week and we have a rather physical job. At 4500 calories daily he wasnt gaining either. He had to bump it up even more. You probably do have a fast metabolism. Just means you have to eat more.

I think there are two really annoying extremes of opinions familiar when it comes to this subject.

1) Victim mentality, a failure to accept a reasonable level of personal responsibility.

2) Then there are those who want to attribute everything, at all times, categorically to "character" . Our weight, state of health, propensity to engage in addictive behaviors etc can be solely attributed to "character". Obesity therefore reflecting poor character. This exemplifies a failing to recognize that all other things are not equal. Circumstances that are conducive to education are not equal. Then comes into play some degree of biological determinism - consider the possibility that some of these individuals may have neurochemistry that is simply unfavorable. On the low end of the spectrum of dopamine receptor site density manifesting in an insatiable appetite and vicious binge-eating cycles. Even if this applies to a tiny minority that alone should be enough to deem any categorical condemnation unfair.

Soon the media will inform us that calling people obese or overweight is politically incorrect....they prefer to be called horizontally challenged

2) Then there are those who want to attribute everything, at all times, categorically to "character" . Our weight, state of health, propensity to engage in addictive behaviors etc can be solely attributed to "character". Obesity therefore reflecting poor character. This exemplifies a failing to recognize that all other things are not equal. Circumstances that are conducive to education are not equal. Then comes into play some degree of biological determinism - consider the possibility that some of these individuals may have neurochemistry that is simply unfavorable. On the low end of the spectrum of dopamine receptor site density manifesting in an insatiable appetite and vicious binge-eating cycles. Even if this applies to a tiny minority that alone should be enough to deem any categorical condemnation unfair.

The argument that "it's my neurochemistry that leads me to be more prone to addictive behavior, therefore it's not my character/personality" is based on a false understanding of what character/personality (and, ultimately, free will) is about.

If your genes predispose you towards addictive behavior, then that's who you are. It's part of your personality.

If your current neurochemistry predisposes you towards addictive behavior (because of actions/choices you, for some reason or another, made in the past) and you are "unable to resist", then that's who you are. If your current neurochemistry predisposes you towards being "weak minded" (at least when it comes to your particular addiction), that is part of your character. It's part of who you really are.

The argument that "it's my neurochemistry that leads me to be more prone to addictive behavior, therefore it's not my character/personality" is based on a false understanding of what character/personality (and, ultimately, free will) is about.

If your genes predispose you towards addictive behavior, then that's who you are. It's part of your personality.

If your current neurochemistry predisposes you towards addictive behavior (because of actions/choices you, for some reason or another, made in the past) and you are "unable to resist", then that's who you are. If your current neurochemistry predisposes you towards being "weak minded" (at least when it comes to your particular addiction), that is part of your character. It's part of who you really are.

What was i referring to pertaining to character in this context?

Is it a false understanding of what character is? or is character in this context a concept without solid defining parameters? Is it all things to all people? no it isn't and i was alluding to a simple-minded version of character applied in these debates. Where determinism isn't acknowledged or understood as something that contributes to "character" and disparities between people in this respect. As if there's complete equality in terms of being able to acquire it. I'm referring to those who are inclined to think that we can transcend determinism by making decisions.

Those who threw around will-power and character in a simplistic and smug fashion wouldn't do so if they acknowledged what you just did.

Free will is equally incoherent and loose a concept.

Last edited:
Back