Beginner's (noob) questions thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disclaimer: This isnt a injury question/i am not injured...but:

after mondays lifting (Squat/DL) a few hours later i noticed i have something similar to a blood blister above my right hip...its horizontal about 4 inches...i had no pain from it whatsoever & my guess it has come from where my belt digs into my skin? especially when i squat

basically i am just wondering if anyone else has had one of these, tried googling but couldnt find anything...i also stretch/warm up plenty

it has now pretty much gone as well

I walk back and forth like BJ Penn cursing at myself and sticking my tongue out, making weird faces, and licking my gloves like if they have someones blood on them.

JK...

I usually try to motivate myself by kind of pacing back and forth a couple times telling my self that this is too fucking easy lol, and thinking about stuff that motivates me.

You know, if you get really psyched before you lift, it is harder on your recovery. Glenn Pendlay and many other knowledgeable people recommend doing most of your lifting in a relatively normal state of mind, and to save the 'psyche' for a big session every now and then.

after mondays lifting (Squat/DL) a few hours later i noticed i have something similar to a blood blister above my right hip...its horizontal about 4 inches...i had no pain from it whatsoever & my guess it has come from where my belt digs into my skin? especially when i squat

basically i am just wondering if anyone else has had one of these, tried googling but couldnt find anything...i also stretch/warm up plenty

Pretty funny combo between your owie which isn't there anymore and your "aint got time to bleed" sig.

First time I've ever heard of blisters from a belt. But all kinds of bruising and either discomfort is normal, so I don't think blisters are a big deal. The big thing it doesn't get worse each time you use a belt.

Pretty funny combo between your owie which isn't there anymore and your "aint got time to bleed" sig.

lulz...prehaps watching predator fixed it?

yes it is weird, specially since i've had my belt for a few months now i am thinking prehaps it was a few burst blood vessels, as i say there wasnt any pain/brusing at all & squats were fine today...who wants pics, pm only/srs

You know, if you get really psyched before you lift, it is harder on your recovery. Glenn Pendlay and many other knowledgeable people recommend doing most of your lifting in a relatively normal state of mind, and to save the 'psyche' for a big session every now and then.

I depends sometimes Ill find myself sorta lost in between sets so I just give myself a slap or something to loosen up.

But I don't make a big scene about it. But the majority of the time I don't need to get ultra pumped before my lifts.

But that's cool info though.

I think this sort of thing can be repeated enough. Especially regarding routines that have any sort of ME work. It's mean to be ME from a normal state of mind, not ME from eye-popping-rage state of mind.

I have a question regarding forearm exercises. I have very thin forearms that looks really funny with the rest of my body. My chest and biceps have developed remarkably since I started the gym but my forearms are still very thin. Can you suggest any exercise routines for forearms that would help me?

I have a question regarding forearm exercises. I have very thin forearms that looks really funny with the rest of my body. My chest and biceps have developed remarkably since I started the gym but my forearms are still very thin. Can you suggest any exercise routines for forearms that would help me?

Hate soundin' like a hater, but this isn't a bodybuilding forum.

Heavy deadlifts and grip work.

I'm going to ignore the fact that this is a question strictly about appearance (a forbidden topic) and tell you to check the FAQ. There is a section with links to threads about grip and forearm (specifically levering) work.

This might seem like a noob question, but... do bars weigh anything, or are they weightless, like helium balloons?

d'oh. they are balloons do not lie !

This might seem like a noob question, but... do bars weigh anything, or are they weightless, like helium balloons?

They are weightless. If you attach several thousand to yourself, they will totally support your weight, and you can fly.

It depends on how many drunks, skanks, bouncers, bartenders, good cops and bad cops tend to be there that night.

FF 3:45

Here I've got a noob question. I've been told different things about how long to do starting strength (anywhere from 6 months to 2 years) but basically bottom line is I'm hearing do it until you plateau and then switch to 5/3/1 or TM or some such. My question is what are some respectable numbers for someone like me (5'11", 170 and growing) to hope to achieve before plateauing? I don't have anything special now, but I'll put out my working set numbers:
Squat: 145
Bench Press: 135
Dead Lift: 200
Press: 100
Power Clean: 110

Hello! I thought of making a new thread since I have so much to ask, but then i figured i can get answers for these questions here.

First of all. I ain't that good in reading english. Particularly when it has lots of difficult, sciency words. I tried to read these things from the FAQ but it was all links to very sciency articles. I cant really understand them all in such a good way I would be able to mix the information i get from each article. So, here it goes.

I have been going to the gym a lot for the past two years and i have built some muscle mass. Now that i have taken up MMA, i notice my muscles get so tired after a short session of grappling and i would like to improve that. I also do get tired after sparring a couple of rounds on the feet. So the conclusion is this: I need muscle endurance and cardio. How should i try to achieve these both? And is it possible for me to still build muscle mass while getting the muscles to be more endurant. I have read about the complexes and really thought those would be good.

How do i mix all these goals, or should i just forget about building muscle mass and just go for the endurance part?

My training schedule right now is this:
Mon: Gym (reps from 5-12 so building muscle mass and strenght) and MMA practise in the evening.
Tue: Hard workout in school, prepping me for my future profession, maybe HIIT/regular joggin in the morning.
Wed: same as monday.
Thu: Jog/HIIT in the morning, practise in the evening.
Fri: Gym, jog in the evening.
Sat: Every other weekend practise.
Sunday: Just chilllll, maybe jog.

What changes should i make? Summer is about to start and i will be able to religiously follow a tight workout plan in order to make me better at MMA. I have read about sprints, should i do them too? And if so, in what kind of a schedule? Im sorry if this is the wrong place but i hope for an answer. And I do thank in advance if someone cared to answer and make the difficult things easier for me to understand. =)

Hello! I thought of making a new thread since I have so much to ask, but then i figured i can get answers for these questions here.

First of all. I ain't that good in reading english. Particularly when it has lots of difficult, sciency words. I tried to read these things from the FAQ but it was all links to very sciency articles. I cant really understand them all in such a good way I would be able to mix the information i get from each article. So, here it goes.

I have been going to the gym a lot for the past two years and i have built some muscle mass. Now that i have taken up MMA, i notice my muscles get so tired after a short session of grappling and i would like to improve that. I also do get tired after sparring a couple of rounds on the feet. So the conclusion is this: I need muscle endurance and cardio. How should i try to achieve these both? And is it possible for me to still build muscle mass while getting the muscles to be more endurant. I have read about the complexes and really thought those would be good.

How do i mix all these goals, or should i just forget about building muscle mass and just go for the endurance part?

My training schedule right now is this:
Mon: Gym (reps from 5-12 so building muscle mass and strenght) and MMA practise in the evening.
Tue: Hard workout in school, prepping me for my future profession, maybe HIIT/regular joggin in the morning.
Wed: same as monday.
Thu: Jog/HIIT in the morning, practise in the evening.
Fri: Gym, jog in the evening.
Sat: Every other weekend practise.
Sunday: Just chilllll, maybe jog.

What changes should i make? Summer is about to start and i will be able to religiously follow a tight workout plan in order to make me better at MMA. I have read about sprints, should i do them too? And if so, in what kind of a schedule? Im sorry if this is the wrong place but i hope for an answer. And I do thank in advance if someone cared to answer and make the difficult things easier for me to understand. =)

If I remember correctly, low intensity steady pace cardio done for a long time will help increase the amount of blood your heart can hold, while high intensity cardio will strengthen the muscles of the heart so it can pump blood with greater force. Both will serve to increase the amount of blood your heart can pump. If you already do a lot of high intensity work, then you could probably benefit from low intensity cardio.
You can still make muscle and strength gains if you eat and rest enough to recover. Gains will be slower than if you were doing only strength training.
You will also need to learn to be patient, somewhat relaxed, and exert less energy. If you are tense and use a lot strength during grappling, or you are constantly throwing strikes with all your power, you will get tired no matter what.
Posted via Mobile Device

Here I've got a noob question. I've been told different things about how long to do starting strength (anywhere from 6 months to 2 years) but basically bottom line is I'm hearing do it until you plateau and then switch to 5/3/1 or TM or some such. My question is what are some respectable numbers for someone like me (5'11", 170 and growing) to hope to achieve before plateauing? I don't have anything special now, but I'll put out my working set numbers:
Squat: 145
Bench Press: 135
Dead Lift: 200
Press: 100
Power Clean: 110

Educated guess, based on you height; to get you to intermediate, good numbers would be: (1 rep max)

Squat: 275
Bench: 205
Dead Lift: 365
Press: 135
Power Clean: 205

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back