Beginner's (noob) questions thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a trap bar I can get for free, I think I will give it a shot. I won't be competing in strongman.

Stoopid noob question coming right atcha!

Are there only certain grips you can use with straps? i.e overhand, hook, mixed, etc...

Usually you use overhand grip with straps because the straps remove any grip issues thus making hook or mixed grip redundant.

I don't think I could hook grip with straps. I can barely do it without.

I have a noobish question.

when doing deadlifts, if you take a moment to reset after each set down (since you arnt suppose to just touch and go) but dont actually stand up, is it still a rep? Or if you pause long enough does it become 5 sets of 1 instead of 1 set of 5?

when doing deadlifts, if you take a moment to reset after each set down (since you arnt suppose to just touch and go) but dont actually stand up, is it still a rep? Or if you pause long enough does it become 5 sets of 1 instead of 1 set of 5?

When doing deadlifts you should always pull from a dead stop. That's why it's called "dead" lift.

Yes. No.

I want to start running hills for conditioning but I am a little unclear on what hill sprints means - are you supposed to run the hill as fast as you can even if that's actually pretty slow, or find a hill you can legit sprint up? I have a pretty decent hill near my new place but I'm not going to be able to flat-out run more than a few metres before I slow way down.

I want to start running hills for conditioning but I am a little unclear on what hill sprints means - are you supposed to run the hill as fast as you can even if that's actually pretty slow, or find a hill you can legit sprint up? I have a pretty decent hill near my new place but I'm not going to be able to flat-out run more than a few metres before I slow way down.

You are supposed to sprint up the hill thus as fast as you can. If you can't maintain a decent pace the hill might be too steep or you might need to do other conditioning first, it's hard to say. Have you done any other conditioning?

Also: all new questions should be directed to the new thread:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/beginners-noob-question-thread-three-2245253/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back