Beginner's (noob) questions thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lifting for like 3-4 months now, and my quads dwarf my hamstrings in terms of size, and are a good deal stronger (though I assume that's normal).

I'm doing WS4SB, so I usually squat once per week, and on the same day do a glute/ham lift. Typically this is a glute bridge or SLDL, are there any exercises better for adding mass to my hamstrings than others? Thanks.

Question is: Am I finally doing my low bar squats correctly and properly engaging my posterior chain, and is that tension supposed to feel similar to the start of a good morning? Or did I just make a mistake and do a weird hybrid exercise?

I don't really know what I'm talking about, but if pushing your hips way back without pushing your knees out, I think you're going to feel it a lot in your posterior chain.
Spread your knees and some of that weight will be moved to your hips and off of your posterior chain.

Or I could be way off.

I've been lifting for like 3-4 months now, and my quads dwarf my hamstrings in terms of size, and are a good deal stronger (though I assume that's normal).

I'm doing WS4SB, so I usually squat once per week, and on the same day do a glute/ham lift. Typically this is a glute bridge or SLDL, are there any exercises better for adding mass to my hamstrings than others? Thanks.

You need to work the hamstrings around the hip joint and knee joint as they operate around both. Exercises around the hip joint only activate 3 out of the 4 heads of the muscle to a significant degree, where knee flexion activates all three. You need to do a leg curl, or ideally a glute ham raise in addition to your other hamstring exercise.

Quick question about squat form:

I'm running 5/3/1 and I just had my deload squat day. For assistance I did 5x10 of good mornings. Then I did some sets of squat assistance at 50%.

An interesting thing happened which is that on these squat assistance sets, I'd start my descent and REALLY feel the tension in my posterior chain, similar to how I start my good mornings. These assistance squats really felt different than my squats have ever felt before but I completely blasted through them. I think I was on my heels more and engaging my glutes/hips better out of the hole. It's now two days later and my hammies are still sore (remember this was supposed to be deload day).

Question is: Am I finally doing my low bar squats correctly and properly engaging my posterior chain, and is that tension supposed to feel similar to the start of a good morning? Or did I just make a mistake and do a weird hybrid exercise?

It sounds like maybe you finally engaged your PC properly. Or it could be that because you were doing GM's before your squats that when you squatted you leaned forward too much and GM'ed the squats more than you normally because you had the GM technique still in your mind. I think it's hard to say without seeing a video which obviously you don't have.

melatonin lozenges.... natural sleep aid that wont leave you tired or groggy in the morning....ive tried heaps of shit and even prefer these over vallium or any other pharmecopia ..... hit up your chemist bra.

Your pineal gland will stop secreting melatonin if you supplement it too much, and it only secretes normally in absolute darkness (even your alarm clock is too bright). Making your room as dark as possible can aid in sleep. Source anatomy and physiology class/teacher and im assuming the textbook (tortora)
Posted via Mobile Device

There is a ton of empirical evidence supporting melatonin as a sleep aid. Plus it has some other benefits, namely stimulating growth hormone secretion.

PM Plugchop.

He's a scientist who has personally done studies on it.

You can search likkuid's log too. I remember Plug talking about it in there about a year ago.

PM Plugchop.

He's a scientist who has personally done studies on it.

You can search likkuid's log too. I remember Plug talking about it in there about a year ago.

Sounds interesting. Do you remember the gist of what his studies found?

Not really. But I think he found that it's basically useless except to counteract the effects of jetlag.

And that's not to say that there haven't been other studies showing the opposite of what he found. I really don't know.

Not really. But I think he found that it's basically useless except to counteract the effects of jetlag.

That's what I've heard before as well. Like I said though, there are other benefits of it beside sleep aid, and it's dirt cheap. Off to PubMed to do some research though.

how do you experienced guys feel about people who lift heavy later on in the week opposed to guys who do it early in the week.

how do you experienced guys feel about people who lift heavy later on in the week opposed to guys who do it early in the week.

You're body doesn't know what day of the week it is so it doesn't matter.

Is this in reference to cycling your intensity throughout the week or something? This seems like an odd question to have by itself.

You're body doesn't know what day of the week it is so it doesn't matter.

Is this in reference to cycling your intensity throughout the week or something? This seems like an odd question to have by itself.

I just wanted to know if anyone else is like me.

I just feel like I can lift more later in the week particularly by Wednesday.

I just wanted to know if anyone else is like me.

I just feel like I can lift more later in the week particularly by Wednesday.

Perhaps its just that you don't get a very good sleep sunday night, and are stressed out by the fact that monday is, well, monday.

Perhaps its just that you don't get a very good sleep sunday night, and are stressed out by the fact that monday is, well, monday.

That's the way Ive been doing things for a while I tend to ease into the week instead of going all out on Monday, however after learning a lot over the last couple months I figured that I could be doing it wrong.

But yes Monday's are sometimes rough not always bad, but sometimes its like shit man it's Monday It can be hard to get the juices flowing.

That's the way Ive been doing things for a while I tend to ease into the week instead of going all out on Monday, however after learning a lot over the last couple months I figured that I could be doing it wrong.

But yes Monday's are sometimes rough not always bad, but sometimes its like shit man it's Monday It can be hard to get the juices flowing.
I know what you're saying for sure. Personally I slap myself as hard as I can a few times if I'm feeling sluggish before my big lifts. That may not work for you, but I'm sure there are some people here with different ways they get amped up before a set when they're just not feeling it.

I know what you're saying for sure. Personally I slap myself as hard as I can a few times if I'm feeling sluggish before my big lifts. That may not work for you, but I'm sure there are some people here with different ways they get amped up before a set when they're just not feeling it.

I walk back and forth like BJ Penn cursing at myself and sticking my tongue out, making weird faces, and licking my gloves like if they have someones blood on them.

JK...

I usually try to motivate myself by kind of pacing back and forth a couple times telling my self that this is too fucking easy lol, and thinking about stuff that motivates me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back