Bagwork

Sano

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Sup guys.

Haven't been posting much lately as I've been busy, but thought I'd upload a vid with some bagwork from today. I'm floating around a little bit in regards to training, but I'm still trying to improve when I have the time. Don't know if I will go back to any gym, but maybe at some point. Hope you're all well:

Any comments and critiques are appreciated as always.

Sup guys.

Haven't been posting much lately as I've been busy, but thought I'd upload a vid with some bagwork from today. I'm floating around a little bit in regards to training, but I'm still trying to improve when I have the time. Don't know if I will go back to any gym, but maybe at some point. Hope you're all well:

Spacetime and speedboi wood wreck you

footwork and looking to pivot around the bag is nice but i assume its partly down to no gloves (barefisted bagwork has never struck me as a particularly good idea) your punches are either slapping in terms of the bent arm shots or purely pushed from the elbow in terms of straight hitting. Not to try and put you down or try and be negative purely to give feedback it seems a bit bagwork for the sake of it , were you trying to work on antyhting specifically on the bag? as it looks to me like you would have done just as well shadowboxing around a point on the floor. Like i say though your footwork looks to be sharp and decent head movement although a little stiff from your hips. always more to work on and improve hey so keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

footwork and looking to pivot around the bag is nice but i assume its partly down to no gloves (barefisted bagwork has never struck me as a particularly good idea) your punches are either slapping in terms of the bent arm shots or purely pushed from the elbow in terms of straight hitting. Not to try and put you down or try and be negative purely to give feedback it seems a bit bagwork for the sake of it , were you trying to work on antyhting specifically on the bag? as it looks to me like you would have done just as well shadowboxing around a point on the floor. Like i say though your footwork looks to be sharp and decent head movement although a little stiff from your hips. always more to work on and improve hey so keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.
Solid observations.

Yeah mostly just bagwork for the sake of it. I did try to work on a few things though which was the mix of coming down straight the pipe and then slipping to the inside with the right timing a jab. Also the, slip to the right and move forward with double jabs, rear uppercut, rear hook + lead hook, pivot to the right, left hook and shuffle pivot to the left, right hook was a combination I wanted to practice a bit. I'm trying not to smother my hooks (which I do and which is why I have a hard time using them i sparring unless someone covers up).

I definitely slap my punches more than I want to. Especially my jab becomes lazy at times and my rear hook is so oddly slappy. When I'm closing the distance it's less of a problem, and in midrange the sorta looping shorts works well, but I need to work on it so I can dictate when I use which kind of punch and not the other way around. I used to tend to smother my punches more but it has become a little better.

Yeah the straights are a little more speed oriented as I was practicing recoiling and moving my head. I prefer shadowboxing because I have an issue with my neck that when I really sink into a bag on the straights it hurts. It's a remnant from an old injury but it's getting much better. Hopefully I can keep progressively putting more into it. Hitting mits doesn't effect it as much.

Thank you for your input! If there's more feel free.

Last edited:
Footwork look much improved. Still machida inspirered upper body movements. Nice hand speed. I like that you keep the combinations realistic short.

Not sure about that sideway jab you did a few times. But i need to feel it in real life to tell. It might work just fine.

And if we ever actually do meet to spar, it wont be with open mma gloves. Saw you practicing that Jackson/wink eye poke at the end of the video.

Still looking solid, mate. I actually liked the slapping hooks. My boxing coaches havent been complaining about slapping with hooks at all, in fact according to them it is a good technique.

I ve missed on other sherdoggers calling your upper body movement Machida like :D Having a good laugh on that one.

I can't offer any technical insight but I like how there's no douchey music/radio in the background in that gym.

Footwork look much improved. Still machida inspirered upper body movements. Nice hand speed. I like that you keep the combinations realistic short.

Not sure about that sideway jab you did a few times. But i need to feel it in real life to tell. It might work just fine.

And if we ever actually do meet to spar, it wont be with open mma gloves. Saw you practicing that Jackson/wink eye poke at the end of the video.
Thanks! Footwork is feeling more stable. Haha well, at least I'm not as rigidly upright (with chin up) as a little while ago. Think I was over-correcting.

Gotta use that reach, eyepokes are what champions are made of.

Looking very good Sano, kind of sucks to hear that you don’t have a gym? Good punches and form. Main thing I saw is the smoothness to your movements, might need to slow it down in order to smooth everything out.

I also notice you do tend to stand very tall. I see people get timed with the overhand on their jab all the time when standing this tall.
I feel like in order for your jabs to be consistent and effective like how you throw against the bag, that you need to lower your level on your legs a bit and maybe even tuck the posture. I think in a real fight your jab might be working at first but there’s some people who can eventually time that kind of jab and step in with a hard overhand.

So I would either lower my level so I can use an effective jab to set up other punches like how you are throwing; or momentarily lower levels, cover distance with a gsp like jab and throw it for some real damage as a singular strike and not necessarily a set up. and then stand like how your normally do.

Otherwise to be honest I don’t see the jab being an effective tool in your type of style. Which isn’t too be of a deal in kickboxing imo, not everyone has the stance/style to be a good jabber. It’s not a huge tool of mine beyond a set up either

All in all looking good dude. Keep us updated on the PCS and whatever’s been happening irl

Last edited:
Looking very good Sano, kind of sucks to hear that you don’t have a gym? Good punches and form. Main thing I saw is the smoothness to your movements, might need to slow it down in order to smooth everything out.

I also notice you do tend to stand very tall. I see people get timed with the overhand on their jab all the time when standing this tall.
I feel like in order for your jabs to be consistent and effective like how you throw against the bag, that you need to lower your level on your legs a bit and maybe even tuck the posture. I think in a real fight your jab might be working at first but there’s some people who can eventually time that kind of jab and step in with a hard overhand.

So I would either lower my level so I can use an effective jab to set up other punches like how you are throwing; or momentarily lower levels, cover distance with a gsp like jab and throw it for some real damage as a singular strike and not necessarily a set up. and then stand like how your normally do.

Otherwise to be honest I don’t see the jab being an effective tool in your type of style. Which isn’t too be of a deal in kickboxing imo, not everyone has the stance/style to be a good jabber. It’s not a huge tool of mine beyond a set up either

All in all looking good dude. Keep us updated on the PCS and whatever’s been happening irl
Hey my friend!

Thanks for the advice. I know what you mean about the opening for the overhand. I'm trying a more side on/spearing jab as a variation. Just like the GSP example you mentioned, but without leaping in. For some reason I usually I don't get hit with overhands much, although I'm vulnerable to them. I think it's because I move forward a lot and slip to the right often when coming forward with the jab so I'm not really in a position at that time to be hit with it. I will keep working though, I like using the jab and my jab is decently fast when I want it to be. Most of the time though I use it to set other stuff up, as you say.

PCS is going meh. Good and bad days. It's definitely better, but still not great, with my neck problems being a deciding factor. Funny thing, I'm writing my bachelor on PCS and concussions and I just finished an intervention with a few case studies. Very interesting stuff. Something I can see myself working with in the future, whether that be combat sport athletes or genpop.

I don't think I'll fight anymore, don't want to risk getting my head scrambled worse. I have responsibilites now. Maybe some light sparring here and there. But I do want to have more private lessons and gym sessions in the near future. I have a lot to learn, but I'm getting better and I still have a few years left in my physical prime. I'm stronger than I ever have been, I'm nearing the best shape I have been in and I haven't lost my speed. Now if only my I could go back in time and train differently :)

Sometimes you just have to play the cards you're dealt. The good thing is that this whole thing helped me become who I am today, and if I can help others then I'll be better for it.

Hope you're doing well and train smart!

Last edited:
Looking fast and furious

giphy.webp

I don't know if it was because you were working on something else, but I might humbly suggest to keep moving your feet during the combo.

I might also try to work out of some different guards, or perhaps practice some feints.

Balance looked good, footwork looked good. With those two things right, there's not a lot you can't do in combat sports.

- at the beginning: you turn your head in while you jab, i don't see the point.
- stiff with the feet, in and out of range, see this leonard fight:
- relax more into your punches
- think of your punching as throwing
- i dont like you keep yourself in front of the bag while throwing combinations. Try moving to the side while throwing
- throw punches instead of touching the bag, the bag will make a different sound when you throw them
- you give yourself too much rest time with throwing jabs and not doing anything. Try to distribute your energy over the whole round, your opponent (if above average ) will take over if you take a break

that's on the top of my head. This is my opinion and is my interpretation on how i like to fight.

The bag doesnt move when you punch. Throw them more thats the most important thing.

Really good improvement since last time. Keep it up

Sup guys.

I think doing the pec flyes to three quarters instead of full to the top might be better.
Also, loving the hairstyle.

Btw who was the douche prancing around on the bag ?

All jokes aside, here's what I saw :

You frame your hard jabs. The jabs in the beginning. Your head turns with it like a surprised dog. That means I can see it before you throw it and you won't see my left hook when I throw it. Also you won't react well to it.

The hands are way too low. Starting, during and after. Your arms look average to short for your height. Low hands, short arms, upright style and at that weight means I'd probably have success busting straight shots through to your head. They'd sail right over your hands.

That right hand is too short and truncated. And it being that way means there's no way you'd be able to use those lead rights you're throwing on the bag, on a real live person. You just won't be able to get in close enough to do so.
I bet throwing bare knuckle is a big reason why it's like that.

Speed's good but seems a bit overspeed / rushed. Slow it down and place them better. Also you don't dig in, I've noticed.

You seem a bit too light on your feet. I suspect you can get bullied around the ring fairly easy. There's times to be light and times to be heavy. It seems like you're boxing on a marble floor in summer.

Your upper body rhythm seems a bit too staccato to me. IMO.
The vid also seems very unfocused to me. Just going through the motions.

Good things I see ?

Left hook ain't bad.

Your stance seems strong n balanced. I like the spacing.

Your move your head fairly constantly.

I'm not good at these kind of posts.

Back