Bagwork

I get the head-turn thing during the jab, it's not the head that's turning so much as the body is, taking the head with it.

The body is turning sideways to help elongate the jab to it's fullest extension, longest possible reach for the jab.

There are some ways around this. Maybe mix it up with some other types of jabs that don't need the fullest possible reach. I mean, with most punches the head moves to the side with the movement of the spine so is it that much of a telegraph?

But what it really comes down to is if you find others can time it and take advantage of it. It's pretty fast, and it probably wouldn't be used in close but rather far away so imo, it would be rather difficult to counter. Spar against some higher level guys and see what they say

Last edited:
I get the head-turn thing during the jab, it's not the head that's turning so much as the body is, taking the head with it.

The body is turning sideways to help elongate the jab to it's fullest extension, longest possible reach.

Nonsense, you can try it for yourself behind your pc elongate the body and look straight

The body is turning sideways to help elongate the jab to it's fullest extension, longest possible reach.
Exactly, that's the idea. Just trying different things.

Nonsense, you can try it for yourself behind your pc elongate the body and look straight

I learned some sword before I took boxing. Principle is the same. To get the longest extension/reach, you need to be at least somewhat sideways.

I'm not saying you guys need to start doing this with your jab or that it is vital part of a textbook jab, it's not. Just that it does extend reach should you ever choose to use it, and that it gives the jab a deceitfully long extra bit of reach. If you have long arms and are already fast, it can really mess with your opponent's sense of time and distance

I learned some sword before I took boxing. Principle is the same. To get the longest extension/reach, you need to be at least somewhat sideways.

I'm not saying you guys need to start doing this with your jab or that it is vital part of a textbook jab, it's not. Just that it does extend reach should you ever choose to use it, and that it gives the jab a deceitfully long extra bit of reach
It's because I'm standing a tad more square so when I turn sideways with it it looks like the head is turning. If I was in a more bladed stance I would be in a better position to have the most reach on my jab. Just playing around with manipulating the distance and making the other guy think you have a certain range, before you change it.

Liked all the critique though.

It's because I'm standing a tad more square so when I turn sideways with it it looks like the head is turning. If I was in a more bladed stance I would be in a better position to have the most reach on my jab. Just playing around with manipulating the distance and making the other guy think you have a certain range, before you change it.

Yep, I have to do the same sometimes. It's not needed/useful when in close, though

Even though some people may not feel like that extra bit of reach is needed, remember that an extra inch or two of reach doesn't just equal the ability to touch farther, it also increases penetration should they pull away and that's always surprising to get rocked with something you think you're out of range of AND rolling with

Last edited:

You have alot to learn but you need to find a good trainer.

I'm not saying you guys need to start doing this with your jab or that it is vital part of a textbook jab, it's not. Just that it does extend reach should you ever choose to use it, and that it gives the jab a deceitfully long extra bit of reach. If you have long arms and are already fast, it can really mess with your opponent's sense of time and distance

schermen-vrouwen-floret-team.jpg

Look at the guy on the right. Then you introduce another problem. When the opponent figures you out (noticing that you are extending yourself too much such that following through with the right is not possible due to balance isues/ commiting too much in 1 punch, while your opponent is fighting from is base stance position and therefore balanced and defensive if needed), you are in for a horrible situation. If you do that against me i will take over (when i get the timing right), giving me way to land some free punches which will most probably land you on your ass.

even this guy above me is looking straight ahead, so i dont get your way of turning your head based on how these people fight and based on my own theory about fighting.

btw, think logically. Always look your opponent in the eyes. Always. You have the most overview of incoming blows, plus you can read his facial expression to get a feel for his manner and mindset which will translate into the way that the opponent fights.

If you turn your head, you can't look your opponent in the eyes, and will have a blind spot on one side.

You're not wrong on any of your points, it is a risk and spamming anything can get you in trouble against someone smart. It's probably a bad idea to keep doing only this unless it's working really great on someone.

Over extending is a weight distribution problem (leaning too much frontwise, having weight committed forward). Blading your body while jabbing doesn't cause this weight distribution commitment problem unless you lean too much, although it's still possible to counter (like any thing or any jab). It's definitely good for a surprise here and there, though. Shouldn't let it become your textbook thing, I guess I can agree on that

As for eyes facing forward, I think that is optimal. Heads will still move when punching (they're supposed to as part of correct form), maybe not turning sideways but still moving (same movement that makes a slip is built into punches in boxing, notso in karate). I don't think you have to look at a person's eyes, a lot of people like to look at the upper chest or shoulders for body language because eyes can lie

To expand on the eyes always facing forward. That is the best for vision, no doubt.

It should be noted Crab style (and philly shell) don't allow for a straight facing forward. Why? Because they're bladed and hide behind the shoulder (shell) which takes space that keeps the head from facing perfectly straight. They can still see, but their head isn't facing straight forward. That kind of thing

To expand on the eyes always facing forward. That is the best for vision, no doubt.

It should be noted Crab style (and philly shell) don't allow for a straight facing forward. Why? Because they're bladed and hide behind the shoulder (shell) which takes space that keeps the head from facing perfectly straight. They can still see, but their head isn't facing straight forward. That kind of thing

Interesting I'm not knowledgeble in boxing only fighting with hands shins and knees. As far as eyes on the chest, I'm adamant on looking the opponent in the eyes. If he indeed turns his head we have an opportunity. I know al ot of gyms where just looking people in the eyes while sparring give you a big advantage in sparring/fighting. (I'm from Holland btw)

Youll be suprised about how many people look at the place where they are going to attack. Even on a high level it happens. This means you know they are not looking where YOU can punch from. Always big oppurtunity

Interesting I'm not knowledgeble in boxing only fighting with hands shins and knees. As far as eyes on the chest, I'm adamant on looking the opponent in the eyes. If he indeed turns his head we have an opportunity. I know al ot of gyms where just looking people in the eyes while sparring give you a big advantage in sparring/fighting. (I'm from Holland btw)

Yeah looking in the eyes is a legit strategy that can have great yields against most people. If people are predictably telegraphing with their eyes (which the majority do), there's no reason not to use that. I do use it myself but I don't rely on it against the sneakier people because they know how to feint with their eyes, but those people are only maybe 2% of fighters, so..

---

As for turning the head @Sano , a subtle tweak that would look almost identical but make it more functional would be to lower it down (with the spine, not the neck) instead of sideways. It will look the same, but it will protect your head (behind your shoulder/arm) and still get it out of the way so you can turn to full extension. It will also help slip another jab (or possibly slide under a hook) coming at you, can use it as a jab counter against another jab whereas before you'd both get hit

Last edited:
Why no gloves?? Street cred or what?

My cousin who's a pro boxer (former IBF Champ) was unfortunate enough to have a Kyokushin Karate black belt turned boxing coach... Who thought it would be good conditioning for my cousin. His coach had done Kyokushin in Japan.

Needless to say, it fucked up my cousins hands, something he still suffered from as pro. I think he even underwent surgery. He told me this personally that it was from bad advice from the Kyokushin coach.

you have good head and body movement before you engage the bag, but once you start throwing hands your head is stationary on the center line begging to be countered. Chin is high up too like a karateka. Nice footwork and speed though.

i'm not much of a boxing coach. i'm a better punching coach. when i can figure out technology i was planning on posting a clip. but for now it's all about the weight transfer. try setting more weight on each foot before throwing your punches. about 100% should do the job. slapping has zero to do with the arms it is a lack of weight transfer. your technique looks sharp. i would say almost too sharp. you seem to sacrifice offence for to sake of recovering your guard a bit. reminds me of mayweather. not saying that's a bad thing it just depends what your hoping to accomplish.

Last edited:
also i see what your doing with the double jab slip uppercut, but give it up, it's just making you vulnerable to the left hook overhand right. change it to the 1-2 fade off, shoulder roll ,uppercut, double left hook (low-high) and your in business. i really like your off centre line stance i'm a big fan of it. don't mean to be rude but to me it looks like you are more interested in avoiding damage than hurting someone. boxing by it very nature is not a defensive art. that would be judo.

Last edited:

The body is turning sideways to help elongate the jab to it's fullest extension, longest possible reach for the jab.

There are some ways around this. Maybe mix it up with some other types of jabs that don't need the fullest possible reach. I mean, with most punches the head moves to the side with the movement of the spine so is it that much of a telegraph?

But what it really comes down to is if you find others can time it and take advantage of it. It's pretty fast, and it probably wouldn't be used in close but rather far away so imo, it would be rather difficult to counter. Spar against some higher level guys and see what they say

I get what you're trying to say but in this case it is his head he's turning. And yes, it's turning because he's trying to turn his body to gain an extra inch or so, but it's almost like he's initiating it from his head. Standing in front of him, he's offering up his ear hole n juicy temple for a big right hand.
Also turning your head like that actually robs of you the distance that you supposedly get turning like that.

Turn the body without the head. Pair it with a weight shift to the front leg if you want. Settle the head into your lead shoulder.

Back