Awesome Gif of Jose Aldo and Max Holloway Trading Punches in the Pocket

How is he not the greatest. Just because you beat a guy doesn't mean you are an overall better fighter than him since styles make fights and Max or Conor are now the greatest. Max has a huge task of defending before he has a better resume than Aldo or accomplishes half as much. I don't view Bigfoot or Henderson better fighters than Fedor. I've watched combat sports since I was a kid starting with boxing. All it takes is a year at the very top to lose that step that once made you champion even if it was just a fraction. All the wars Aldo and Edgar have been in and with my own eyes their time is done. A new era doesn't automatically mean those fighters are going to be better than the fighters who only come around once a great while and Aldo was that sort of champ.
He's the most accomplished for sure, but Max is a better fighter. Max hasn't even reached his prime yet and finished Aldo twice. He's getting better with every fight. He didn't just defeat Aldo once. He finished him twice. Not because his style. It's because he's just better. If Aldo was better he would have found a way to win the rematch. The Conor loss was obviously just getting caught.

I've said it before, and I say it again: Max takes Conor in a rematch.

Conor was winning the first 8 minutes vs Holloway. As per usual. But he was also working extremely hard and still not breaking him.

Then in the second, he surprisingly decides to take it to the ground. Keep in mind: he wasnt injured at that point - that happened on the ground.

I said it then, but given what we saw vs Nate, it pretty clear now: Conor was slowing down and did not want to stand with Max anymore. Check the time on that TD: it's right about where the 8 minute wonder usually hits the wall.

The frame rate is so low on that gif that it's hard to see what lands and what doesn't

You're entitled to your opinion. He's the greatest of his generation, not of all time. That's my opinion. If Max was around at the same time as Aldo was beginning his run then he wouldn't have gone on his run. That's my opinion and there's nothing to suggest otherwise. Max is just a better fighter than Aldo ever was or could be.

Yes, you're entitled to your shit opinion.

Max is the definition of a fighter that doesn't cut height.

That fight was hard to watch as an Aldo fan. Aldo fought like a lion, but it wasn't enough. Fuck, even during that final push from Holloway, he was firing back and landing. And Holloway just walked through it all. I remember thinking "what the fuck is Also supposed to do"? He was literally blasting Holloway back, and getting nothing from it except an ass kicking.

Both of them were great fights. Halloway is destined to be an all time great FW. If he takes out Ortega, that will be a big step.
If he gets past Ortega I have a hard time seeing anyone taking him out. He might indeed become the goat at FW

Aldo has sloppy boxing. He overreacts way too much, like Adrien Broner. Max always looks composed and set, ready to fire of combos.

Max's pullback counters are fantastic.

He uses his height and reach perfectly to stand in front of his opponents and hit them when they can't fire back.

His fight with Ortega is gonna be crazy.

I'm not sure if you're implying the pull counters won't be there as often for Max since they're almost equal height, but I'm going to assume you are. Max still has one of if not the most complete stand up games in MMA. He'll find ways to hit Ortega, probably a lot of feinting and stance switching.

I need to watch the Will Chope fight again to see how Max deals with lanky guys. I understand the sub and take down threat, I'm just assuming we're discussing stand up since this was originally about pull counters.

Last edited:
That fight was hard to watch as an Aldo fan. Aldo fought like a lion, but it wasn't enough. Fuck, even during that final push from Holloway, he was firing back and landing. And Holloway just walked through it all. I remember thinking "what the fuck is Also supposed to do"? He was literally blasting Holloway back, and getting nothing from it except an ass kicking.

Both of them were great fights. Halloway is destined to be an all time great FW. If he takes out Ortega, that will be a big step.
Aldo is weak

Sad to see Aldo trading punches like that. Old Jose would've thrown a flying knee right up the middle and knocked Max out.

His speed has diminished. People can say how well he did against Edgar and then losing to Holloway but he did lose a step. I saw the same shit when Fedor fought Arlovski. He's still king, undefeated, but he lost a step. Still kept a win streak but it was only a matter of time. Holloway is a great FW, and has potential to be the only one that can maybe rack up defenses like Aldo. I remember seeing fighter stats and Jose was like in the top 5 for everything. His TDD was phenomenal and his leg kicks have slowed down. I like the WEC cage for FW and even at LW it would work.

Aldo beat Frankie twice, so he wasn't out of his prime then. Max beat the brakes off of Aldo shortly after Aldo beat Frankie. Max is a better fighter. How can Aldo be greater than someone who destroyed him twice. Aldo's resume is impressive, but he isn't a better mixed martial artist than Max Holloway.

From a pure skill stand point yeah he is. He can do more things than Max can, doesn't mean he can beat Max though

Watching that I knew Aldo was going for broke. He was either gonna win right there or it was gonna be the point where he had nothing left.

Why are we obsessing over McGregor's left overs?

A good display of Aldo’s third-rate boxing ability.

Aldo is the FW GOAT and Holloway is on his way to becoming the next.

Back