Awesome Gif of Jose Aldo and Max Holloway Trading Punches in the Pocket

Good point.

Aldo landed some massive shots and it had no effect

Its part of the reason I am not buying Ortega as a threat tbh.

Max at 145 is the king imo and the only way to be him is to take him down imo. Why i thought the khabib fight was a bad idea

He shouldn't have kept trading in the pocket, but he didn't seem to have the cardio to play the stick and move game. It's a shame, because he was driving low kicks home hard when he had the space.

The fps on the gif is pretty bad but aldo landed 2 very hard shots there that were much harder than any of holloways.

This is what is called selective viewing. Even with this poor fps you can see some shots for aldo. Seeing comments like this makes it more understandable how people say Holloway destroyed aldo both fights even though aldo was winning every round of both fights up until he faded and was tkoed both times.

the only time in the both fights did i think Aldo had a chance was the first fight when he landed that huge uppercut at flying knee on Holloway.

everything else, Aldo doesn't really hit him with that much power, because of 2 reasons. Max is taller than Aldo so Aldo has to punch UP. Max knows his distance really well and a lot of the punches that look like they land flush aren't landing with barely any power because Aldo is overextending himself on a lot of his punches trying to make up that height and reach difference.

it's the same exact thing that happened to Conor vs Nate in the 1st fight. Conor was winning the first round easy, but you could tell that Conor had overextended too much on his punches and that he had expected to do much more damage and hurt Diaz more than he apparently had.

another fight like that was Volkov/Werdum. Werdum was definitely winning the fight easily, but you could tell that he was having to do too much to stay on top, he was having to work more than he wanted to, just to keep Volkov honest. then he gassed himself out and Volkov saw his opportunity.

ThatLameChamois-size_restricted.gif

Holloway has a chin from the gods.
Aldo lost but he's a game dog .

Max just had aldos number.
Not an Aldo fan, but he went out on his shield, stayed in front of max and gave it his all

ThatLameChamois-size_restricted.gif

Holloway has a chin from the gods.
Aldo simply does not seem to have the power of some of his peers in his punches. That’s why he always did better when he mixed it up more. Am glad to hear he is giving up the boxing dreams and will focus back on his MMA. I doubt he gets the title back but would be good to see him win again.

Aldo being tired didnt have enough pop on his punches. And Max will outcardio him 10/10 times. Aldo needed to pull a win out in the first or 2nd round when he's fresh and has full power. He can put Max away, but it has to be early. Otherwise Max will pull away in rds 3-5.
Clearly he can’t put max away even In the first couple rounds lol

He had to wait till Aldo was gassed to trade though. Max wants no exchange in the pocket with a fresh Aldo, Jose rocked his shit in the 1st round of their fight with some wicked hooks.

But fuck Max is gonna be great

The fps on the gif is pretty bad but aldo landed 2 very hard shots there that were much harder than any of holloways.

This is what is called selective viewing. Even with this poor fps you can see some shots for aldo. Seeing comments like this makes it more understandable how people say Holloway destroyed aldo both fights even though aldo was winning every round of both fights up until he faded and was tkoed both times.
Nah. They were 1-1 in rounds going into round 3 at UFC 212. Same story for UFC 218.

Aldo is great, but in the end I don't think he'll be recognized as the greatest in his division because he has the best skills. He's know as the best because he beat inferior fighters for a decade. They weren't cans, just not as skilled as him.

Presumably somebody loses the fight because the winner and the loser are unequal in some respect. Winning the fight because you're more skilled than your opponent seems to me by far the most creditable inequality that can bring about a win (much more so, say, than winning because you're younger or bigger than your opponent).

Holloway needs to watch that chin cause it won't always be that strong. Aldo use to be in the same position where his chin was so strong and he would sometimes take one to give one, Mendes fight for example. But eventually he aged and his chin became weaker, ultimatily cracking with Conor.

I mean...

You can hate on Conor all you want, and you won't find me stanning for him anywhere on these boards, but this just sounds like serious mental gymnastics to deny him any credit as a fighter.

Conor-Aldo was right after he fought Mendes. Aldo's chin held up fine against Max and Frankie. Max just wore him down but its not like Aldo's chin is shot. He has one KO loss on his record.

And yet people have the nerve to say that the fighter who outclassed both of them is over rated

You watched that gif and deduced maxs chin is iron ? Aldo is tough as nails those were some clean shots on the jaw

Agreed. People claiming Aldo’s chin is toast are overreacting tremendously.

Aldo being tired didnt have enough pop on his punches. And Max will outcardio him 10/10 times. Aldo needed to pull a win out in the first or 2nd round when he's fresh and has full power. He can put Max away, but it has to be early. Otherwise Max will pull away in rds 3-5.

Aldo tried, he fought his heart out in the 2nd fight. He landed a lot of clean shots. He just couldn't hurt Max. Max chin is insane.

the only time in the both fights did i think Aldo had a chance was the first fight when he landed that huge uppercut at flying knee on Holloway.

everything else, Aldo doesn't really hit him with that much power, because of 2 reasons. Max is taller than Aldo so Aldo has to punch UP. Max knows his distance really well and a lot of the punches that look like they land flush aren't landing with barely any power because Aldo is overextending himself on a lot of his punches trying to make up that height and reach difference.

it's the same exact thing that happened to Conor vs Nate in the 1st fight. Conor was winning the first round easy, but you could tell that Conor had overextended too much on his punches and that he had expected to do much more damage and hurt Diaz more than he apparently had.

another fight like that was Volkov/Werdum. Werdum was definitely winning the fight easily, but you could tell that he was having to do too much to stay on top, he was having to work more than he wanted to, just to keep Volkov honest. then he gassed himself out and Volkov saw his opportunity.

Good analysis

That was fairly one-sided for "trading punches".

This is some revisionist, out of context, blowing hot smoke out of your ass bullshit.

In hindsight, without context, everyone will eventually suck and have beaten inferior guys.

"Jose beat less talented fighters!"...

Uh, no shit. He was more talented than them so he beat them.
You're entitled to your opinion. He's the greatest of his generation, not of all time. That's my opinion. If Max was around at the same time as Aldo was beginning his run then he wouldn't have gone on his run. That's my opinion and there's nothing to suggest otherwise. Max is just a better fighter than Aldo ever was or could be.

No, he's known as the best because he is one of the most complete Mixed Martial Artists we've ever seen. Phenominal complete striker, phenominal takedowns and top control and arguably the greatest TDD in the sports history.

From a pure skillset stand point Conor isn't even in the same league, Holloway is getting there though
Aldo beat Frankie twice, so he wasn't out of his prime then. Max beat the brakes off of Aldo shortly after Aldo beat Frankie. Max is a better fighter. How can Aldo be greater than someone who destroyed him twice. Aldo's resume is impressive, but he isn't a better mixed martial artist than Max Holloway.

I know the routine, every new fighter is the better fighter, that's all I see on here. The guy went through Frankie Edgar twice that tells me he's tough and not elite just by default of the division being weak, that's a silly approach in seeing things. Unless you're going to tell me Edgar is primitive and never really elite aswell? That division was always tough and Aldo was that good. He was killing it in WEC while Conor was pondering quiting the game. Miles on a fighter is a real thing and easy to see.
Aldo and Frankie are both elite fighters. I believe both are them are two of the best that ever competed in the sport. Aldo beat Frankie shortly before losing to Max. The so called miles on a fighter had no effect on Aldo when he fought Frankie. Why is it used as an excuse when he loses to Max twice. Max is better, therefore Aldo is the greatest of his era. He accomplished great things and deserves to be recognized as one of the greats, just not the greatest.

This is some revisionist, out of context, blowing hot smoke out of your ass bullshit.

In hindsight, without context, everyone will eventually suck and have beaten inferior guys.

"Jose beat less talented fighters!"...

Uh, no shit. He was more talented than them so he beat them.
Remember when Renan Barao was running through the bantamweight division and being touted as #1 P4P? Not so much anymore.

Aldo and Frankie are both elite fighters. I believe both are them are two of the best that ever competed in the sport. Aldo beat Frankie shortly before losing to Max. The so called miles on a fighter had no effect on Aldo when he fought Frankie. Why is it used as an excuse when he loses to Max twice. Max is better, therefore Aldo is the greatest of his era. He accomplished great things and deserves to be recognized as one of the greats, just not the greatest.

How is he not the greatest. Just because you beat a guy doesn't mean you are an overall better fighter than him since styles make fights and Max or Conor are now the greatest. Max has a huge task of defending before he has a better resume than Aldo or accomplishes half as much. I don't view Bigfoot or Henderson better fighters than Fedor. I've watched combat sports since I was a kid starting with boxing. All it takes is a year at the very top to lose that step that once made you champion even if it was just a fraction. All the wars Aldo and Edgar have been in and with my own eyes their time is done. A new era doesn't automatically mean those fighters are going to be better than the fighters who only come around once a great while and Aldo was that sort of champ.

Back