Attn fantasy readers: What do you think of Brandon Sanderson?

G

Guestx

A little while back I was sitting around being a little sad about the fact that I didn't get in on the GoT series when the first book came out and that I was WAY late to the party. So I started wondering if there was any other epic fantasy series that was in its early stages and after a bit of research I found out about Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series. Only two of a planned 10 books have been released so I decided to go ahead and jump on board and I'm now reading the first book.

I know that he also finished up Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (which I've never read and which I've heard pretty mixed things about).

So what's up fantasy fans? What do you think of Brandon Sanderson?

latest

the-way-of-kings-by-brandon-sanderson.png

He literally saved the WoT series that was already in decline before Jordan's death. All of his books have interesting magic systems and characters. He also tends to have imaginative solutions to whatever major problem is presented in a story so you're never predicting what exactly will happen.

He's also has a work ethic the exact opposite of George R.R. Martin so they're is always something new to read from him. I'm a pretty big fan.

He is my favorite author. He nails structure so well. His worldbuilding, plot, and magic system are amazing and should knock your socks off.

And he's really stepped up with The Stormlight Archive series, giving some extra grit to his story. The one area i find he falls down as an author is his characters and dialogue can be bland. He doesn't take big risks with them. He pumps out so many books and they are very cleanly written but he's a Mormon dad who relies very much on his own voice and doesn't stray too far from his sensibilities. He is logical and pumps out .

It's an epic read and takes it's time but I thoroughly enjoyed myself 90% of the time, I did struggle with reading through Shallan's story initially. But overall, both books kick ass. The action sequences are the best I've read, the mystery of what's happening or going to happen with several plot points - one of the most intriguing assassins, the political climate in this new world and Kaladin's whole arc has been super impressive.

No author is perfect and I'd get into authors like Joe Abercrombie and George R R Martin for your dark fantasy fix but I'm super excited to read and reread these books. He has breathed new life into the fantasy genre and has stepped up the structure of how to write it in a big, big way. He is already a classic of this era.

He literally saved the WoT series that was already in decline before Jordan's death. All of his books have interesting magic systems and characters. He also tends to have imaginative solutions to whatever major problem is presented in a story so you're never predicting what exactly will happen.

He's also has a work ethic the exact opposite of George R.R. Martin so they're is always something new to read from him. I'm a pretty big fan.

About fucking time someone responded to this thread!

I've heard mixed things about how he handled Wheel of Time, but I'd definitely say more positive than negative. One day I'll check that series out.

And you're right about his work ethic. I've followed him a bit as I've been reading Way of Kings and he seems like a workaholic--methodical, organized and always busy.

What all have you read from him?

About fucking time someone responded to this thread!

I've heard mixed things about how he handled Wheel of Time, but I'd definitely say more positive than negative. One day I'll check that series out.

And you're right about his work ethic. I've followed him a bit as I've been reading Way of Kings and he seems like a workaholic--methodical, organized and always busy.

What all have you read from him?

I've read the first mistborn trilogy, stormlight archive, the Reckoners trilogy (my favorite) and WoT.

Ha. Thought I replied to this thread when we were chatting earlier. Guess I didn't press send.

@streets ahead pretty much nailed it. I've only read the Mistborn series and of course his wrap up of the WOT series but I like his style.

And yeah, GRR fat bastard is likely to pull a Jordan, and go man tits up before he finishes his series.

And he's really stepped up with The Stormlight Archive series, giving some extra grit to his story.

What do you mean exactly? How does it differ from his other works?

He pumps out so many books and they are very cleanly written but he's a Mormon dad who relies very much on his own voice and doesn't stray too far from his sensibilities.

Yeah, I remember reading that he was a Mormon. It has seemed Mormonism is starting to break out into the mainstream in a way that it never had before.

It's an epic read and takes it's time but I thoroughly enjoyed myself 90% of the time, I did struggle with reading through Shallan's story initially. But overall, both books kick ass. The action sequences are the best I've read, the mystery of what's happening or going to happen with several plot points - one of the most intriguing assassins, the political climate in this new world and Kaladin's whole arc has been super impressive.

I'm about 300 pages into Way of Kings and I'm enjoying it so far. I read quite slowly so it's going to take me a few months to finish it up and it will take me a few more to get through Words of Radiance. But I'm determined to do so and to be ready when the third book hits next year.

No author is perfect and I'd get into authors like Joe Abercrombie and George R R Martin for your dark fantasy fix. . .

Yeah, I've noticed that Sanderson's stuff seems to be pretty PG-13.

I've seen Abercrombie recommended numerous times. Maybe I'll have to give his stuff a go.

He has breathed new life into the fantasy genre. . .

Elaborate on that. . .

And yeah, GRR fat bastard is likely to pull a Jordan, and go man tits up before he finishes his series.

What's particularly fucked up about this is that from what I've read he has explicitly stated that if he dies he wants his wife to burn all his notebooks and shit specifically so that another writer CAN'T finish the series. That's pretty goddamn selfish.

What's particularly fucked up about this is that from what I've read he has explicitly stated that if he dies he wants his wife to burn all his notebooks and shit specifically so that another writer CAN'T finish the series. That's pretty goddamn selfish.
I usually "like" informative posts but just can't in this instance. Lol

I didn't think I could have a worse opinion of that guy, but look at that, I was wrong again. What a dick.

I usually "like" informative posts but just can't in this instance. Lol

I didn't think I could have a worse opinion of that guy, but look at that, I was wrong again. What a dick.

Yeah, I mean really? You're going to string your readers/fans along for more than 20 years and not only not put safeguards in place to make sure the series gets finished (as Robert Jordan did) but you're going to actively work against it? Fuck that.

Yeah, I mean really? You're going to string your readers/fans along for more than 20 years and not only not put safeguards in place to make sure the series gets finished (as Robert Jordan did) but you're going to actively work against it? Fuck that.
Those two are the reasons I won't start reading incomplete works anymore. At least Jordan made an attempt, but Martin doesn't even care? Not cool.

Last edited:
Those two are the reasons I won't start reading incomplete works anymore. Ate least Jordan made an attempt, but Martin doesn't even care? Not cool.

Yes, considering his work ethic and age I assume that Sanderson will finish the Stormlight Archive series. I guess by starting it I'm taking something of a leap of faith.

I wonder if he has made any provisions like Jordan did just in case, you know, he gets hit by a fucking bus or something.

Yes, considering his work ethic and age I assume that Sanderson will finish the Stormlight Archive series. I guess by starting it I'm taking something of a leap of faith.

I wonder if he has made any provisions like Jordan did just in case, you know, he gets hit by a fucking bus or something.
Lol. Let's hope not.

You should check out his website, if you haven't already. Last time I looked he kept a progress report on all his works and it was always up to date. The guy is a work horse, for sure.

Lol. Let's hope not.

You should check out his website, if you haven't already. Last time I looked he kept a progress report on all his works and it was always up to date. The guy is a work horse, for sure.

Yeah, I have checked his website out. Looks like he's 73% of the way through the first draft of Stormlight #3.

BTW just a couple of months ago he did a signing here in Utah about 30 minutes away from where I live. I wasn't able to make it and I regret that. I hope he comes through here again.

Those two are the reasons I won't start reading incomplete works anymore. Ate least Jordan made an attempt, but Martin doesn't even care? Not cool.
I don't read unfinished series either. I like to read the whole thing, if the first book or so is really interesting.

Nothing worse than being really drawn into a series, and then it being abandoned. Not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent.

I'm a fan, TS.

I really enjoyed the Mistborn series. Have wanted to get into the stormlight archive but as one of the posters above says, find it hard to get into book series which hasn't finished yet.

Another +1 for Joe Abercrombie here.

I'll second Abercrombe. Best Served Cold is great as is the First Law trilogy. I'm going old school soon and will be reading all of Feists' stuff. Wonder if it will be as good now as 20 years ago.

What do you mean exactly? How does it differ from his other works?

Yeah, I've noticed that Sanderson's stuff seems to be pretty PG-13.

It's different because there's more violence and the world is a harsher place. Kaladin starts off as a slave and endures some heavy events and emotions. Instead of getting angry like Vin did in Mistborn during a crisis, Kaladin will emotionally break down and give up. He's a potential suicide risk.
We see more of the villain in these books too.
He definately writes for the PG-13 crowd, this series is more of a mature theme though.

I'm about 300 pages into Way of Kings and I'm enjoying it so far. I read quite slowly so it's going to take me a few months to finish it up and it will take me a few more to get through Words of Radiance. But I'm determined to do so and to be ready when the third book hits next year.
Good stuff. Go at your pace. A slow chew works well for these books.
Can you relate to Kaladin as a character?
I've seen Abercrombie recommended numerous times. Maybe I'll have to give his stuff a go.
I used to avoid hyped material growing up but I've learnt that you can find some real quality in well reviewed and over suggested authors. Abercrombie is quite raw compared to Sanderson but he's also fresh. If I had to liken a fighter to his style, I'd go with Robbie Lawler. He's not afraid of throwing down, a little blood and dirty language are fine too.

He has written one of the most inventive characters I've ever read. Here's his character profile:

Sand dan Glokta is a former champion swordsman and dashing war-hero in the King's Own, before his capture and torture by the Gurkish. Now a shunned cripple, he has turned torturer himself, as an Inquisitor in the King's Inquisition.

Elaborate on that. . .
Breathing new life into the fantasy genre?

Well he completely nailed an exciting magic system from Mistborn on with specified rules and created the framework for others to do so. Not only has he shown how to create a believable magic system by giving logical explanation to it but has inspired others with how he brings an exciting and new version of magic into each story.

He has provided a blueprint for writing fantasy that has been lacking, fantasy authors often meander around and lose their structure. His structure is so tight. Reading his interviews or watching his how to write videos will provide a more indepth understanding of how he's been an evolution in the genre.

I really enjoyed the Mistborn series. Have wanted to get into the stormlight archive but as one of the posters above says, find it hard to get into book series which hasn't finished yet.

I actually like that it's unfinished. That means that I get to be part of the fan community IN REAL TIME as the series is being produced. I look forward to the anticipation of each new entry and all the conversation that will take place over the years.

I'm 34 and by my estimation I'll mostly likely be around 50 when the Stormlight series finally wraps up. To me, there's something exciting about following a series for that long.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back