ASSASSIN'S CREED Movie (First Critics' Reviews)

Edit: Double Post. See post below.

Last edited:
First Critics' Reviews for ASSASSIN'S CREED

Rotten Tomatoes: 16% Approval Rating (4 out of 25 critics like it)

Critics Consensus: Assassin's Creed is arguably better made (and certainly better cast) than most video game adaptations; unfortunately, the CGI-fueled end result still is still a joylessly overplotted slog.

Assassins-Creed-Movie-121916-Dragonlord.jpg

New York Daily News - If you’re unfamiliar with the game, you may be confused by what’s going on and why anyone would even bother playing it. If you have played, you'll wonder how the moviemakers could mess things up so badly and squander the game’s rich tapestry of stories. 1.5/5

CinemaBlend.com - The hope and promise of Assassin's Creed ultimately flitters away thanks to its underwhelming action, incomprehensible plot, and repetitive structure, and it ultimately only adds further weight to the curse of the video game theory. 1.5/5

IGN Movies - Though it’s bolstered by some glorious action sequences and a stellar cast that really gives us their all, the lack of any levity whatsoever in Assassin's Creed amounts to a soulless experience that wastes its potential. 6.5/10

Collider - The big screen adaptation of Assassin’s Creed had a lot going for it and even finds a great deal of success on the technical front, but when you couldn’t care less if the characters live or die, the movie is dead in the water. 2.5/5

ScreenCrush - Assassin’s Creed makes you actively work for its pleasures, and it’s heartening to see a film of this scale that’s strange and ambitious and doesn’t spoon-feed viewers every little detail. Maybe they don’t entirely succeed, but you appreciate the effort. 6/10

Forbes - It's the Anakin Skywalker of video game movies, a promising project meant to redeem a bedeviled sub-genre that merely leaves it covered in more darkness. 2/10

The Playlist - It's a good thing these actors play this material so persuasively straight, because if you give even an inkling of thought to the film's near-indecipherable plot, the philosophical implications may well be unsettling. C-

Critics Consensus: Assassin's Creed is arguably better made (and certainly better cast) than most video game adaptations; unfortunately, the CGI-fueled end result still is still a joylessly overplotted slog.

New York Daily News - If you’re unfamiliar with the game, you may be confused by what’s going on and why anyone would even bother playing it. If you have played, you'll wonder how the moviemakers could mess things up so badly and squander the game’s rich tapestry of stories. 1.5/5

CinemaBlend.com - The hope and promise of Assassin's Creed ultimately flitters away thanks to its underwhelming action, incomprehensible plot, and repetitive structure, and it ultimately only adds further weight to the curse of the video game theory. 1.5/5

IGN Movies - Though it’s bolstered by some glorious action sequences and a stellar cast that really gives us their all, the lack of any levity whatsoever in Assassin's Creed amounts to a soulless experience that wastes its potential. 6.5/10

Collider - The big screen adaptation of Assassin’s Creed had a lot going for it and even finds a great deal of success on the technical front, but when you couldn’t care less if the characters live or die, the movie is dead in the water. 2.5/5

ScreenCrush - Assassin’s Creed makes you actively work for its pleasures, and it’s heartening to see a film of this scale that’s strange and ambitious and doesn’t spoon-feed viewers every little detail. Maybe they don’t entirely succeed, but you appreciate the effort. 6/10

Forbes - It's the Anakin Skywalker of video game movies, a promising project meant to redeem a bedeviled sub-genre that merely leaves it covered in more darkness. 2/10

The Playlist - It's a good thing these actors play this material so persuasively straight, because if you give even an inkling of thought to the film's near-indecipherable plot, the philosophical implications may well be unsettling. C-

So much for hoping for a good video game movie. Oh well will watch because Fassbender is one of my favorites

holy shit......was not expecting this.

<{dayum}>

Was hoping someone would get an adaptation right one day.

wasn't expecting it to be that bad...but dam wasn't expecting it to be good

They need to do with all the convolution of the modern day plot and just make it the fictionalized history part. Make allusions to how the societies have existed throughout time (right up to today) but don't make it the focus....

The problem is just like a book you have to cut so much shit out for a run time of even 2 1/2 hours. for most games
I agree that's an obstacle, but many of the greatest films were adapted from books or source material of some nature. It shouldn't be any more difficult to make a good movie from a video game than it is to do so from a book.

I'll just treat John Wick 2 as my Assassin's Creed.

Honestly i don't give a #$^!. Im still watching it because it's more personal for me growing up playing the video games. It does suck to hear the reviews considering how much potential the story of AC has but im not too worried. Im sure i will enjoy it.

So much for hoping for a good video game movie. Oh well will watch because Fassbender is one of my favorites

Hitman 2007
Silent Hill
Resident Evil

Are all solid video game movies. Not going to win any awards but they are entertaining

Are the reviews really surprising people?

I knew from the first trailer this was going to be a hot mess.

NmBH49Q.gif

I agree that's an obstacle, but many of the greatest films were adapted from books or source material of some nature. It shouldn't be any more difficult to make a good movie from a video game than it is to do so from a book.

I agree but hollywood seems to have no respect for the video games or gamers..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back