Askren is like a SuperFitch. UFC does not need it.

Askren was not signed to the UFC for a reason.

I can't think of another time in MMA where an org released a reigning champion without even offering him a contract. (As I recall).

Ben was very dominant position wise in his wins but there were literally times in his fights where I got the impression that he was trying NOT to finish.

I remember watching an Askren fight (late in his Bellator run, I forget the opponent) and it was crystal clear that a flurry would end the fight, the opponent was doing nothing and the ref was looking for ANY justification for a stoppage and Ben just kept focusing on wrist control and throwing a shot every once in a while that did zero damage, literally doing just enough to not get stood up with no intention to finish.

I didn't want to sit through that during UFC PPVs and Ben was talented enough that he may have been able to wet blanket decent fighters which would have ruined their momentum. It was a lose lose for the UFC. What would the upside have been? A few, very few hardcores get to see if Ben could hang and everyone else (and maybe even those hardcores too) would be bored to death? I don't blame the UFC for passing on Ben.

Late in his Bellator career huh? He had a win over Lima (decision) and finished Amoussou and Koreshkov to end his Bellator run.

Your post is shit.

Askren is a stud and was one of the best at 170. Ufc hasn't been about who the best fighter is for a long time.

Lol. Big fish in a very small pond.
EasyHastyGrebe-size_restricted.gif

I'd love to see Askren in the UFC. I think he'll win some fights against top guys. But he won't finish anyone good.

Sounds like Khabib, only thing he can finish is a nice bowl of tirimasu.

We already have cobly and khabib so why not lol. UFC could use some more wet blankete

Prime Fitch is above him because he fought top ranked guys

Ben Askren has finished 7 of his last 8 fights.

This. A lot of his earlier Bellator fights went to decisions, but he eventually figured out how to use his style to finish fights.

Seems like Dana is just holding a grudge because Askren always made better points than Dana when discussing why Askren has never been in the UFC.

Food for thought: if this were MMA, could Askren's opponent legally kick him in the head when Askren is standing on his head?

temp-320-31483945_medium.gif

I'd love to like Ben. He's just doucey. I've got not interest in watching him fight. Maybe he got better, but every time I've seen him he's actively trying not to finish.

First of all, combat sports fans should not be saying/typing things like "cans", "bums" etc. EVERYONE can be dangerous and not being in the UFC means very little these days (if ever). After watching for any amount of time it should be clear, like many other such misconceptions.

Secondly, Askren would be a pretty good addition in WW or even MW. Lots of interesting match ups, that would test both his grappling (Woodley, Usman, Covington) and his striking (Thompson, Till, Dos Anjos, even Masvidal).

I'd love to like Ben. He's just doucey. I've got not interest in watching him fight. Maybe he got better, but every time I've seen him he's actively trying not to finish.

Finished 7 of his last 8.

Because Dana's a huge bitch with a tiny, fragile ego. Remember, this is the "man" who'd hit on fighters' wives or get pissed if one of the ring girls was dating a fighter. All that money and I wouldn't give a shit about anything but just signing the best fighters. Same reason Paul Daley never got back into the UFC because let's be honest, someone like Koscheck getting punched after the bell isn't that bad.

Askren has actually finished and attempts to finishfights. Fitch has one finish in the last 11 years.

Askren is constantly moving, looking for submissions and lands good ground and pound, Fitch is content with getting a top position, holding a guy, then throwing weak arm punches so he doesn't get stood up.

In short fuck Jon Fitch.

I like Askren type fighters. It is hilarious watching them humiliate and embarrass their opponents by holding them down for the entire fight. It is next level trolling.
I see enough trolling on the internet. I wish to not watch somebody lay so tight on their opponent for 3 rounds. This is not 2009 oldie

UFC is ducking his Funkyness.

Fitch has fought (and beaten some of) nearly all of the top welterweights of the past 15 years or so.

It's a huge insult to Fitch to compare him with Askren who has achieved nothing in his career.

I want Askren in the UFC.Wanted him there years ago.U like watching his nonchalant way of dominating

But all that said, his fights are just too boring, even for me as a huge wrestling supporter.
Would make for boring UFC headliners.

Wait, I thought the UFC was about finding out who is "the best", unlike PRIDE which was about "entertainment"???

Back