Askren is like a SuperFitch. UFC does not need it.

cpirish

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Of course i respect that all he does is win. And wrestlers are my favorie mma fighters. And wrestling is my favorite MMA discipline.
But all that said, his fights are just too boring, even for me as a huge wrestling supporter.
Would make for boring UFC headliners.

Askren was not signed to the UFC for a reason.

I can't think of another time in MMA where an org released a reigning champion without even offering him a contract. (As I recall).

Ben was very dominant position wise in his wins but there were literally times in his fights where I got the impression that he was trying NOT to finish.

I remember watching an Askren fight (late in his Bellator run, I forget the opponent) and it was crystal clear that a flurry would end the fight, the opponent was doing nothing and the ref was looking for ANY justification for a stoppage and Ben just kept focusing on wrist control and throwing a shot every once in a while that did zero damage, literally doing just enough to not get stood up with no intention to finish.

I didn't want to sit through that during UFC PPVs and Ben was talented enough that he may have been able to wet blanket decent fighters which would have ruined their momentum. It was a lose lose for the UFC. What would the upside have been? A few, very few hardcores get to see if Ben could hang and everyone else (and maybe even those hardcores too) would be bored to death? I don't blame the UFC for passing on Ben.

Last edited:
Yet UFC has 2 boring ass wrestlers in the WW division in Camaro and Clownington.

Khabib is a SuperAskren AKA SuperSuperFitch
Khabib fights with SOOOOO much more aggression than Askren.

They both excel at getting guys down and keeping them there... similarities stop there.

Khabib beats the shiznit out of people, his fights are brutal and violent. Ben maintained position and accumulated points (until he started facing guys outside the top 50).

Khabib makes ground fighting fun to watch, I can't say the same about Askren. I enjoyed aspects of his fights on a technical level due to his mastery of his wrestling skills but DAMN his fights could be boring as fuck.

Askren tools kabob.

and gsp.

ufc cant have that. after dana and bens ridiculous beef.

ufc has far more boring fighters than ben.

like 90% of the womens div.

boring. lay n pray and wrestlefuck.

plenty of fighters fit that description.

ben has 1 decision in his last nine fights.

5 total of 18 fights.

its not about boring .

Fitch fought much tougher competition.

Fitch Lite might fit better.

I can't think of another time in MMA where an org released a reigning champion without even offering him a contract. (As I recall).
Wrong

Askren ASKED Bellator to release him so he can sign with the UFC

This is the only reason why he left Bellator

lol at you cans applauding Ben for finishing unranked fighters overseas. His finishing rate jumped the moment he leaves the continent and starts fighting dudes without wiki pages, yet he's more dominant and better than actual UFC champions like GSP and Khabib.

<Dylan>

Bullshit you dont like Askren is the problem. His Funk style wrestling is new and innovative for MMA. The only one that comes close to fighting like him is Khabib.

Last edited:
I like Askren type fighters. It is hilarious watching them humiliate and embarrass their opponents by holding them down for the entire fight. It is next level trolling.

Judging by all the mediocre or barely average fighters the UFC puts on its main cards these days, they can't afford to do without someone talented like Askren.

The only reason Askren is still not signed by the UFC is Uncle Fester White's ego.

As long as Dana is UFC... won't happen.

Wrong

Askren ASKED Bellator to release him so he can sign with the UFC

This is the only reason why he left Bellator
On November 14, 2013, following a negotiation period, Bellator announced they had released Askren from any further negotiations with the company, and that he was now an unrestricted free agent.

Rebney stated. “I had a number of discussions with Ben, and it became clear it was time for both parties to move in different directions. We’ve relinquished any right to match here, and Ben can sign with whoever he chooses to sign with"

https://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/bellator-releases-welterweight-champion-ben-askren/amp

On November 14, 2013, following a negotiation period, Bellator announced they had released Askren from any further negotiations with the company, and that he was now an unrestricted free agent.
Askren asked Bellator to release him to sign the deal with UFC

At least Fitch consistently fought the best for many years.

Askren's claim to fame is beating a couple fringe top 10-15 guys 7 years ago.

Askren asked Bellator to release him to sign the deal with UFC
Why would he ask to be released to sign with a company that didn't offer him a contract?

That doesn't make sense.

I like Askren type fighters. It is hilarious watching them humiliate and embarrass their opponents by holding them down for the entire fight. It is next level trolling.
me too lol. but askren has a chin too. people forget that. dude takes shots to land the takedown. he got kneed quite a few times against lima to get the takedown.

Why would he ask to be released to sign with a company that didn't offer him a contract?

That doesn't make sense.
Are you not aware of the whole situation between Askren/Dana White? Go look it up

He explained it on the Joe Rogan Podcast. Dana White basically fucked him over, he called Askren after he left Bellator that he was not going to sign him.

Back