ask me your questions

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
if there are any specific muay the techniques, combos, questions you guys have, feel free to ask me. I will make a video demonstration answering your questions. if anyone is interested. thanks!

ps something i am specifically interested in is helping people with the mental aspects of fighting, overcoming fear, preparing for your first fight, etc.

if there are any specific muay the techniques, combos, questions you guys have, feel free to ask me. I will make a video demonstration answering your questions. if anyone is interested. thanks!

ps something i am specifically interested in is helping people with the mental aspects of fighting, overcoming fear, preparing for your first fight, etc.
My question is about style. Should a fighter be ok with sticking to a specific style or should they worry about being limited. I'm good at countering and fighting at mid range but not moving forward as much.

My question is about style. Should a fighter be ok with sticking to a specific style or should they worry about being limited. I'm good at countering and fighting at mid range but not moving forward as much.

i like what bruce lee said, be formless, what you need to do is fight your way, everyones body is different and everyone moves differently, what workes for me may not work for you. The teachings of muay thai are just general guidelines, feet roughly shoulder apart, maybe your shoulders are wider than mine etc.

Ill give you a personal exmaple. I was originally taught to kick up on the toes, than i was taught to kick flat footed............now I use both, what ever one is approriate for the given situation. point being do what works for you.

I am much more of a fwd fighter than a counter fighter. dont limit yourself but use waht works for you and practice what you would like to learn.

Your a counter fighter, thats your style, practice moving fwd, but dont forget your countering roots.

once you get good at moving fwd, you can mix it up, and fall back to your countering.

dont limit yourself! leanr and use all.

How do you set up a clinch?

I'm intermediate, but haven't fought in a bit over a year. I'll be fighting again soon, most likely in the summer and onwards. What I'm wondering is, will the adrenaline be messed up. I've never had an adrenaline dump before, if anything, its always been surging insanely each fight, but being out for a bit, I'm wondering if it may happen; Which of course I'm not looking forward to it if it happens midway through the bout.

Something I would like to see more of in video is how to read an opponent's reactions/setups. Like what are some good signals (from a first person POV) that someone can read to look for counters or openings. Off the top of my head I think of seeing someone's lead hand pump a few times before they actually commit to a jab. Because I now know the jab is incoming, I can setup my own cross over the top. I haven't seen any tutorials/instructionals done from that first person POV yet, but feel like it would be beneficial to see from that perspective.

Recovery from missed round kicks. Should you continue the motion and spin a full 360 back to your starting stance or do you drop the kicking leg down in front of the base leg and then pivot or step back to the starting stance? What are the advantages & disadvantages of each method?

Thanks guys, these are all great questions, now i got some work to do!

Hi Shincheckin, is their a drill that you recommend to help relax the shoulder during sparring? The reason I ask is because I find myself tensing up my shoulder sub consciously when I spar.

Hi Shincheckin, is their a drill that you recommend to help relax the shoulder during sparring? The reason I ask is because I find myself tensing up my shoulder sub consciously when I spar.
I'm not him, but I recommend flow sparring more, once my main training partner introduced it, after some time in, I was more relaxed

How do you set up a clinch?
step in long knee or 1,2, clinch while they cover up. Of course you pummel then because clinching while they block, they have the inside (double collar)

Theres many factors to this and a bunch of questions I would need to ask, but most likely, your sparring too hard. Dont try and punch so hard or with so much power.

Try "shadow" sparring.

guys shouldnt be trying to take your head off in sparring, your tense because your not comfortable.

Shadow spar and build up, if your partner is going too hard etc. find a new partner and dont train with them. Light controlled sparring is best.

Focus more on your tecnhique than the power in the punch as well, this will help.

I'm intermediate, but haven't fought in a bit over a year. I'll be fighting again soon, most likely in the summer and onwards. What I'm wondering is, will the adrenaline be messed up. I've never had an adrenaline dump before, if anything, its always been surging insanely each fight, but being out for a bit, I'm wondering if it may happen; Which of course I'm not looking forward to it if it happens midway through the bout.

by adrenaline dump I am guessing you mean running out of energy or something along those lines?

Your adrenaline is probably going to be higher since you been out a while. I doubt you will get a "dump" it should be charging insanely. On the nights I fight, I dont sleep, because of all the adrenaline, when I do finally go to sleep its at like 5 in the morning, and ill usually wake up like 2 hours later, because all the adrenaline is still going. I can totally believe the stories of guys at war that are up for days without sleep because of this.

long as your conditioning is good, you should be fine.

Recovery from missed round kicks. Should you continue the motion and spin a full 360 back to your starting stance or do you drop the kicking leg down in front of the base leg and then pivot or step back to the starting stance? What are the advantages & disadvantages of each method?

by adrenaline dump I am guessing you mean running out of energy or something along those lines?

Your adrenaline is probably going to be higher since you been out a while. I doubt you will get a "dump" it should be charging insanely. On the nights I fight, I dont sleep, because of all the adrenaline, when I do finally go to sleep its at like 5 in the morning, and ill usually wake up like 2 hours later, because all the adrenaline is still going. I can totally believe the stories of guys at war that are up for days without sleep because of this.

long as your conditioning is good, you should be fine.
I've never had it so I've just heard it from others. Adrenaline dump as in midways through the fight its gone and you start feeling pain like normal.

But cool, thanks. I'll see once I have my next event

Adrenaline dump can be experienced in different ways, but from my personal experience, and from talking to other fighters its usually like this:

The first minute or even 30 sec of the fight, you feel ok with your energy, then all of the sudden you feel like fighting in a swamp, or under water. Your mind is not clear, you can't thing about game plan, strategies. You just kind of react to whats happening. You feel slow, legs heavy. You have tunnel vision, but not the good kind. You don't hear your coach anymore... Something between been dizzy from a blow to the head, and been dead tired like its the end of the 5th round.
But personally i dint feel more pain in that condition, but i don't know about others.

It's not something you can control once it started, but it's something you can prepare to avoid. You also must find what may trigger it, and the problem is that most of the times you got to experienced once to understand what caused it.

It may be caused from over excitement, nervousness in front of a big crowd, nervousness if you know that your opponent is really good etc...

Mine was when i fought in front a very big crowd for the first time. I was used to fight in front of an audience, but not something that big. The thing is, I dint felt specially stressed but i dint do a good job to mentally prepare my self... I was with a new corner, new coach. Also it was a tournament, so you dint knew when you will be fighting, so i was alternating warm-ups and relaxing. Usually i got to make my self enter the zone...yeah i know it sounds stupid, but it's something that works for me. I got to make my self be serious about it, not treat the fight like a sparring session. And for that, i kinda need to be in a bad mood, i need to listen to some music that have that effect, concentrate on some thoughts, that gets me there... But that day i dint do that.
Another factor was probably that my first fight got cancelled, my opponent dint make weight. So i had a lot of time just waiting, while my second opponent was already in fight mode. (to be clear, i would have probably lost that fight in any case, he was just better. But i dint enjoy it, i dint fight like a normally do, i dint make him work hard for it)

I read somewhere that a gym, but i don't remember which one, prepare their new fighters by doing rehearsal of the walk out. With the music, some friends and members for the crowd, the corner following all the way to the ring, the presentation etc...

But adrenaline dump its not to be confused with just been nervous. Usually we are all nervous before the fight, and even maybe for the first actions, but then it goes away. Adrenaline dump is the opposite... You feel good at first because your body is full of adrenaline, but suddenly it disappears leaving you without energy...

It's something you may never have. But the more experience you get, the better you mentally prepare your self, it also diminish the chances to have one...

Anyway, that's my personal experience with it. I think some people had adrenaline dumps later inside the fight, and probably others experienced differently and for other reasons...

I dont know about this adrenaline dump thing and never heard of it before.

Dont worry and focus on all kinds of nonsense.

Train hard, fight confidently, fight your best, and youll do good. Win or loose dont matter. Just do your best thats it. Being able to fight to the best of your ability is difficult. But when you do get in that "zone" man you are on "fire". The trick is getting in that zone. lol

I don't know if I'm out of the loop, but what's your background?

Back