ask me your questions

Theres many factors to this and a bunch of questions I would need to ask, but most likely, your sparring too hard. Dont try and punch so hard or with so much power.

Try "shadow" sparring.

guys shouldnt be trying to take your head off in sparring, your tense because your not comfortable.

Shadow spar and build up, if your partner is going too hard etc. find a new partner and dont train with them. Light controlled sparring is best.

Focus more on your tecnhique than the power in the punch as well, this will help.

Whoa, I'm surprised you nailed it. My sparring partner likes to go hard but won't take your head off if your stun and I'm definitely putting power into my punches just to slow him down. Thank you for answering.

I have a question. 75% I try to teep, I keep hitting their elbows when they cover up and it really fucking hurts... what is the aim for the teep? Solarplex or gut ? I teep with the ball of my foot and my fingers are pulled back.. I injured my foot about 3/4 times doing this.. sucks so bad that I just push kick their knee or thigh now.

I have a question. 75% I try to teep, I keep hitting their elbows when they cover up and it really fucking hurts... what is the aim for the teep? Solarplex or gut ? I teep with the ball of my foot and my fingers are pulled back.. I injured my foot about 3/4 times doing this.. sucks so bad that I just push kick their knee or thigh now.

similar advice I gave to noodles

The guys you are teeping are spazzing out when you try to teep them because they are noobs, a more experienced guy would either catch, counter, or just take the teep. I have broken toes because of this. Find a more exp partner, or explain to these guys to relax.

Targets are, thigh, hip, belly/chest, face

try not to kick "up" when you teep, try to spear with it instead .

Omg do I feel your pain. I've broken like 7 toes now from this. It definitely happens more often when I teep just above waistline and under the ribs. I've yet to find a solution other than new partners or being very teep selective (which ruins a lot of my other weapons imo). Good luck!

Omg do I feel your pain. I've broken like 7 toes now from this. It definitely happens more often when I teep just above waistline and under the ribs. I've yet to find a solution other than new partners or being very teep selective (which ruins a lot of my other weapons imo). Good luck!

my exp is its guys spazzing out and trying to cover up and protect their body with their elbows as if they were covering up a body shot.

Muay Thai, no MMA fights if that is what your asking?
I meant amateur, pro, coach? In whichever combat sport really. Assumed you were a MT pro from your profile pic, and making a thread about people asking you for advice.

I meant amateur, pro, coach? In whichever combat sport really. Assumed you were a MT pro from your profile pic, and making a thread about people asking you for advice.

I am a amatuer fighter, pro one day hopefully. I have had some coaching positions in the past but am focusing on fighting now.

I am a amatuer fighter, pro one day hopefully. I have had some coaching positions in the past but am focusing on fighting now.
Cool! Thanks for taking the time, and good luck with going pro!

Shincheckin, who's your favorite fighting video game character? I'm guessing it's Joe Higashi from King of Fighters/Fatal Fury. :D

Shincheckin, who's your favorite fighting video game character? I'm guessing it's Joe Higashi from King of Fighters/Fatal Fury. :D

hes cool but i didnt play that game much.

tekken 3, king! I was really good with him

Something I would like to see more of in video is how to read an opponent's reactions/setups. Like what are some good signals (from a first person POV) that someone can read to look for counters or openings. Off the top of my head I think of seeing someone's lead hand pump a few times before they actually commit to a jab. Because I now know the jab is incoming, I can setup my own cross over the top. I haven't seen any tutorials/instructionals done from that first person POV yet, but feel like it would be beneficial to see from that perspective.

i didnt forget this question, its a good one, and a very tough one to answer. I dont think its something that can be taught, i think its something that you can only learn through sparring and practicing regarding reading your opponents reaction. so i will take your right hand countering over the jab for example. minus the fake jab pumps, once he actually does commit, your doing one of many counters, its great to know HOW to do the counter, but the key is WHEN to do the counter. And that is something that really cant be taught only learned through trial and error, its the TIMING of the counter that is crucial and that cant be taught in a video or in person. That being said there are drills that you can do to practice your timing, which are just "partner drills". So well take your right hand over the top counter again for example, if you want to get good at that, and practice your timing on that counter, the best way would be to have a friend feed jabs at you and you attempt to time the counter correctly. now when i say have a friend feed jabs at you, I dont mean all out sparring, I mean light/medium mimicked sparring. So you guys can move around a bit, you know your friend is going to jab, but you dont know when, then when he does you attempt the counter. I hope this makes sense, anything not clear let me know

try not to kick "up" when you teep, try to spear with it instead .

to piggy back off what he said, hes exactly right regarding spearing with the teep. Try raising your knee higher before you shoot the teep out. Lame as this analogy is, think of a cobra, when you piss them off, first they raise up, than they strike, where as other snakes strike straight from the ground.

@stick-n-move

Got another one @shincheckin , how do you transition from shin guards to no shin guards. We've all gone shin on shin before in practice and it absolutely fucking sucks. Thinking about eating a good timed check creeps me out. As I get more exp. and eventually A-class / open (10+ fights) fights ends up with no shin guards anyways.

Got another one @shincheckin , how do you transition from shin guards to no shin guards. We've all gone shin on shin before in practice and it absolutely fucking sucks. Thinking about eating a good timed check creeps me out. As I get more exp. and eventually A-class / open (10+ fights) fights ends up with no shin guards anyways.

first thing I want to say is check my video out about correct shin conditioning methods if you havent already.

Now, do you need to condition your shins? Yes of course, but when you fight without shin pads it really is no different than fighting with them. I know when you hear this you think wtf no way because it sure does hurt in training etc. and when people told me this I though they were just tyring to be tough guys but it really is the truth. you have so much adrenaline and stuff going, that it really is no different.....ok yes, there is a difference but the difference is so small that you might as well say there is no difference. after the fight your legs will be sore for sure ;) but during the fight you shouldnt really feel it much. the kicks pack just a little more sting. I think it may also depend on how conditioned the other guys shins are. I think I would be the one getting hurt if I checked my coaches kick lol. just start kicking the fuck out of the bag and youll be good. A interesting fact is that the human skeleton completely regrows itself in 10 years.

Back