Social Asian-American Actors: "Why Won’t Hollywood Cast Actual Asians for Asian Characters in the Script?"

I said my top ten, douche.

Yes I understand and I can't believe this made it in anybody's top 10. It's historically inaccurate and fake samurai romanticism...

Did The Great Wall and Braveheart also make it in your top 10 by any chance??

Did The Great Wall and Braveheart also make it in your top 10 by any chance??

If you actually have a point to make that have anything remotely to do with this topic of debate, you should get to it now.

If you actually have a point to make that have anything remotely to do with this topic of debate, you should get to it now.

Pretty sure I've posted my points long ago in this thread...

Why don't you start at page 1 and slowly make your way to the end and you might catch it if you can read properly?

Pretty sure I've posted my points long ago in this thread...

Why don't you start at page 1 and slowly make your way to the end and you might catch it if you can read properly?
Or stop trying to act like they have a blue name.

I understand why certain people are cast, it's all about name recognition. Even China brought in Matt Damon to sar in The Great Wall, pretty much an all Chinese film (I think he was the only American actor). TV shows can afford to be more experimental, so I'm glad we're seeing more diverse casting, but we're also seeing diverse casting just to be diverse.

On the other hand, Hollywood's effort to make inroads into the luractive Chinese movie market will probably be the main driving force for studio executives to finally let Asian actors fulfill the roles of Asian characters. A White/Black actress with heavily yellow makeups playing Mulan probably wouldn't sit well with the Chinese audience, who are unlikely to excuse that kind of yellow-facing like some people in the WR.

Last edited:
That said I stand by my dude and short circuit

a3PjHUz.jpg
Fuck Short Circuit. They filmed that movie with a Robotic American but then dubbed out his voice with a white actor.

Real Robots have been grossly underrepresented in Hollywood. We finally get one in Short Circuit and the bastards don’t even use his voice.

I for one would like to point out that two years and 30 pages later, the retards still can't read the thread before jumping face-first into the discussion.
Lol

You copy and paste giant walls of text from other places the web, and act like you’re starting something grand with your own researched work. Then you get mad when someone else posts the same articles because they want to join the discussion.

I’ve seen you cry like a little bitch about this maybe ten times in this thread, as if the giant articles you post don’t derail the discussion enough. STFU already. At least some people here are voicing their own thoughts.

So you're mom and grandma were Japanese, but you...

...are not Japanese. You are American. And if you are confused about this, tell me what your passport says.

Nor can you speak Japanese.

You haven't seen a lot of things in Japan. You see, having a mother from Japan does not make you an expert on Japanese history. You are no more qualified to speak on the subject of Japanese armor than any other American. In fact, you have probably spent less time in Japan than I have.

That you think being half Asian automatically qualifies you to speak as an authority on Japanese culture is sadly funny.

And there we have it. Your authority and knowledge on Japanese culture comes from movies. So your intellectual argument is the armor in one movie doesn't match the armor you saw in another movie, so it must not be right. Wow. Way to go. Great argument, piker.

By the way, I didn't see one shot of anyone wearing armor in that trailer. Post a screen shot of the armor they wore in this movie that you think proves your point. Because, as I said, the armor and costuming in the Last Samurai was accurate. Samurai in the Meiji era had long since incorporated iron scales into their armor. Your argument that they hadn't is patently false.
Wow. That’s one of the most solid beatdowns I’ve seen recently. Logic and information to take him apart and leave him bleeding in the street. Well executed.

Last edited:
So, you admit to being mentally challenged.

What I want and why I want it can be literally be the same thing.

When I buy Front Mission game, I don't want to get Armored Core game. Why? Because I want Front Mission game.
If you aren't making Front Mission game, don't call it that.
Same with, if I buy Dir En Grey album, I don't expect to get Malice Mizer album.
No, it has to be because racism in gaming and music industry.

Anyone who thinks that way, sound racist to me.
(Yeah, I called you racist, just making that clear because you probably didn't get it)
I’m not familiar with “Front Mission game” but I’ll use it to illustrate the point.

“What you want” is the game.

“Why you want it” could be many things: the gameplay/controls are excellent, the storyline is exciting, the music is great, etc.

“Why you want it” is not “because I want it”.
Unless you’re three years old.

“I want what I want because I want it” is a very basic example of childlike behavior that psychiatrists cite to teach adults that they’re acting like emotionally underdeveloped children. Your post, which I quoted, could be put into a textbook.

Hope this helps.

Rufio.png

Rufio Rufio RU FI OOOOOOO

Btw guys did you know that the hero (Rico) from Starship Troopers was supposed to be a Filipino?
RiffTrax-_Casper_Van_Dien_as_Johnny_Rico_in_Starship_Troopers.jpg
Rufio was badass, and got a great introduction. “Ohhh that is sooo dangerous”.

I don't know, but why are Heimdal and Valkyrie black?

Perhaps the most egregious example is the 2010 film "Extraordinary Measures", based on the real life story of Dr. Yuan Tsong Chen, a Taiwanese-American doctor.

Dr. Chen was approached by a desperate White American couple seeking help for their 2 young children who were disagnosed with Pompeis disease, a terminal illness with no cure at the time.

For years Dr. Chen worked feverishly to help the family, using his magnificent intelligence and skill as a doctor, Dr. Chen was able to found a cure for the disease and saved the 2 young childrens lives and countless other lives as well.

There's just one catch.......

Dr Chen is not Dr. Chen in the movie based on his life, his name is now Dr. Stonehill and he is played by a white actor (Harrison Ford). So here you see that even when a man goes above and beyond to contribute to society, to help people, a real hero. He will still be seen as an undesirable foreigner based on the color of his skin or the shape of his eyes, unworthy of taking credit for his own genius.

Dr. Chen helped this White-American couple and saved thier childrens lives, and saved countless other lives all around the world, he did this in America and he is an American. Yet this is the grattitude he gets from his host nation and their people, because he looks different, its sad.

Meanwhile, people are arguing over fictional superheros in tights being played by other races. Yet this real life superhero gets disrespected by a racist society and culture.

Even by typing in the movie name in google, the entire first page says nothing about the race swap, instead theres articles like this one from the NY daily that are actually pretending that Dr. Stonehill was the real doctor.

The Crowley family, portrayed in 'Extraordinary Measures,' fought to find cure for Pompe disease - NY Daily News

There is absolutely no mention of Dr. Chen in all the first page results from google, unbelievable. Its like they are trying to erase Dr. Chen from existence and replace it with this Dr. Stonehill.

Other examples of real life stories of Asians being replaced by Whites are: 21, Aloha, and others but Extraordinary Measures is by far the worst example of race swapping I've ever seen.

A lot of the Uncle Wongs on here gotta wake up, the left don't like you, the right don't give a shit about you. This is what they really think about you, even if you help them and save their kids lives and come up with cures for diseases, they still think of you as different, unrelatable, etc. Even if you get perfect scores, participate in activites and try to contribute to society, their ivy league schools won't accept you. Wake up Asians.

Last edited:
I don't know, but why are Heimdal and Valkyrie black?
Well, in the IRL source material, Heimdal has gold teeth and a loud ass horn. Sounds like a black guy to me.
Valkyries are the women most likely to fight your ass. its either gonna be a black chick or a hispanic one.

Hollywood has whitewashed Asian stories for decades. This year, they couldn't ignore the backlash.
“The conversation around whitewashing is changing, and people can’t say they just didn’t know anymore.”
by Traci G. Lee and Lakshmi Gandhi

171220-asian-american-hollywood-ew-616p_21bf11ad3307a54d67c5155feb953f5c.focal-1000x500.jpg

By the time British actor Ed Skrein was cast in the upcoming “Hellboy” reboot, the word “whitewashing” already felt like it had been in entertainment headlines every other week.

And perhaps it’s because, even in 2017, whitewashing is still a common practice in Hollywood when it comes to Asian characters and stories. From “Ghost In the Shell” to the upcoming “Annihilation” film, this year — like every year, it seems — wasn’t without its casting controversies.

“Why does Hollywood keep whitewashing Asian characters?” Angry Asian Man blogger Phil Yu wrote — a headline that showed the lack of progress following his 2009 conclusion that it was “business as usual in Hollywood.”

But where actors and directors have fumbled questions all year about whitewashing, something different happened in August: Within a week of Skrein’s casting announcement, the widespread criticism prompted him to step down from the film. In September, the studio announced the role would go to Daniel Dae Kim, who had made headlines over the summer when he and “Hawaii Five-0” co-star Grace Park left the show over salary disputes.

If 2016 was a year of cringe-worthy casting news, then 2017 was a year for Hollywood to answer for its decisions — not because Asian Americans were asking (as they’ve been asking for years), but because it was an outcry they couldn’t ignore any longer.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-...an-stories-decades-year-they-couldn-t-n830241

because liberal whites or in Hollywood's case gay jews have a saviour attitude when it comes to certain groups.

east asians dont fit that demographic.

ultimately i see no reason why asians couldnt be cast as lead roles, partly because hollywood relies on movies trending in china.

Last edited:
That's the often stated rationale - that dark skin meant you worked outdoors and thus poor- but it is a misleading explanation, not in South Asia atleast. Lots of dark skin people didn't do manual labor and or lived in mild regions. The preference for light skin in South Asia goes back to barbarian invasions into the SubContinent, almost 4 millennia ago. At the time dark skinned people were way more advanced than the incoming light skinned invaders. Over the millennia all the invaders have been lighter skinned than the locals. Invaders imposed themselves as rulers and or integrated into the ruling dynasties and castes.

That's only a small socialized part of it. There's actually a male-female difference in preference for light skin based on biological elements.

Regardless of ethnic group, women's skin is slightly lighter than men's skin as a result of the need to absorb more vitamin D through sunlight during pregnancy. Even in the darkest skinned cultures, the women are lighter. So, one of the cues men are programmed to see when looking for healthy reproductive options is skin that's lighter than their own. When societies are mono-ethnic, outsiders probably wouldn't notice. In multicultural societies, the lightest women stand out. The reverse is also true, since women are lighter, healthy men are therefore darker.

Of course there's a social component to it in many societies but it grew out of the biological component.

In regards to Asian men, this works against them. They are light in complexion but not large of stature. So in the West, that represents a different barrier as well.

That's only a small socialized part of it. There's actually a male-female difference in preference for light skin based on biological elements.

Regardless of ethnic group, women's skin is slightly lighter than men's skin as a result of the need to absorb more vitamin D through sunlight during pregnancy. Even in the darkest skinned cultures, the women are lighter. So, one of the cues men are programmed to see when looking for healthy reproductive options is skin that's lighter than their own. When societies are mono-ethnic, outsiders probably wouldn't notice. In multicultural societies, the lightest women stand out. The reverse is also true, since women are lighter, healthy men are therefore darker.

Of course there's a social component to it in many societies but it grew out of the biological component.

In regards to Asian men, this works against them. They are light in complexion but not large of stature. So in the West, that represents a different barrier as well.

Nice Bro science.

Nice Bro science.

Not really.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0047248400904032?via=ihub

(3) In all populations for which skin reflectance data were available for males and females, females were found to be lighter skinned than males. (4) The clinal gradation of skin coloration observed among indigenous peoples is correlated with UV radiation levels and represents a compromise solution to the conflicting physiological requirements of photoprotection and vitamin D synthesis.
As hominids migrated outside of the tropics, varying degrees of depigmentation evolved in order to permit UVB-induced synthesis of previtamin D3. The lighter color of female skin may be required to permit synthesis of the relatively higher amounts of vitamin D3 necessary during pregnancy and lactation.

These articles are reaching:

White actor plays Asian cartoon character (ghost in the shell): RACIST!
Black actor plays white cartoon character (Nick Fury): good casting

Last edited:
Back