Social Asian-American Actors: "Why Won’t Hollywood Cast Actual Asians for Asian Characters in the Script?"

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
This discussion focuses on the ongoing epidemic that is Yellowfacing in Hollywood, where Asian roles in the scripts are constantly being passed on to non-Asians, even though there are no shortage of talented Asian-American actors in the industry.

Do not attempt to derail this thread about Asian actors in Hollywood with another refreshing take on Black vs. White or Liberals vs. Conservatives. Please take that worthless off-topic "contribution" elsewhere, if that is the only thing you can offer on the subject matter.

-----

Thread Index:

Why Won’t Hollywood Cast Actual Asians for Asian Roles?
By KEITH CHOW | April 22, 2016

chow-ss-slide-GIN0-jumbo.jpg

Fisher Stevens (far left) played an Indian engineer in "Short Circuit 2" (1988).
In an interview with Aziz Ansari in 2015, Stevens says he would never take up that role today.

Here’s an understatement: It isn’t easy being an Asian-American actor in Hollywood.

Despite some progress made on the small screen — thanks, “Fresh Off the Boat”! — a majority of roles that are offered to Asian-Americans are limited to stereotypes that wouldn’t look out of place in an ’80s John Hughes comedy.

This problem is even worse when roles that originated as Asian characters end up going to white actors.

mindy.jpg

Left: Mackenzie Davis as NASA's Korean-American satellite communications engineer Mindy Park
Right: Black actor Chiwetel Ejiofor portrays NASA's Mars Mission Director Vincent Kapoor, a Hindu from India in "The Martian" novel by Andy Weir

Unfortunately, these casting decisions are not a relic of Hollywood’s past, like Mickey Rooney’s portrayal of I. Y. Yunioshi in “Breakfast at Tiffany’s,” but continue right up to the present.

chow-ss-slide-G7KR-jumbo.jpg

Mickey Rooney infamously played I.Y Yunioshi in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" (1961).
The studio that made the movie has since acknowledged that the role was a toxic Japanese caricature.

Last week Disney and Marvel Studios released the trailer for “Doctor Strange,” an adaptation of the Marvel comic.

After exhausting every “white man finds enlightenment in the Orient” trope in less than two minutes, the trailer presents Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One, a Tibetan male mystic in the comics.

2920D5ED00000578-0-image-a-8_1432770532492.jpg

Tilda Swinston as the Ancient One from Tibet in "Doctor Strange"

Though her casting was no secret, there was something unsettling about the sight of Ms. Swinton’s clean-shaven head and “mystical” Asian garments.

It recalled jarring memories of David Carradine from “Kung Fu,” the 1970s television series that, coincidentally, was itself a whitewashed version of a Bruce Lee concept.

003-kung-fu-theredlist.jpg

David Carradine as the Shaolin monk Kwai Chang Caine

A few days later, DreamWorks and Paramount provided a glimpse of Scarlett Johansson as the cyborg Motoko Kusanagi in their adaptation of the Japanese anime classic “Ghost in the Shell.”

The image coincided with reports that producers considered using digital tools to make Ms. Johansson look more Asian — basically, yellowface for the digital age.

scarjo_gits.jpg

Scarlett Johansson as Motoko Kusanagi in "Ghost in the Shell"

This one-two punch of white actors playing Asian characters showed how invisible Asian-Americans continue to be in Hollywood.

Not to be left out of the whitewashing news, Lionsgate also revealed the first images of Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa, another originally Asian character, in its gritty “Power Rangers” reboot.

Why is the erasure of Asians still an acceptable practice in Hollywood?

It’s not that people don’t notice: Just last year, Emma Stone played a Chinese-Hawaiian character named Allison Ng in Cameron Crowe’s critically derided “Aloha.”

While that film incited similar outrage (and tepid box office interest), no national conversation about racist casting policies took place.

chow-ss-slide-HTTQ-jumbo.jpg

Emma Stone as the Chinese-Hawaiian Allison Ing in "Aloha" (2015)

Obviously, Asian-Americans are not the only victims of Hollywood’s continuing penchant for whitewashing.

Films like “Pan” and “The Lone Ranger” featured white actors playing Native Americans, while “Gods of Egypt” and “Exodus: Gods and Kings” continue the long tradition of Caucasians playing Egyptians.

In all these cases, the filmmakers fall back on the same tired arguments. Often, they insist that movies with minorities in lead roles are gambles.

When doing press for “Exodus,” the director Ridley Scott said: “I can’t mount a film of this budget" and announce that “my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such.”

When the screenwriter Max Landis took to YouTube to explain the “Ghost in the Shell” casting, he used a similar argument. “There are no A-list female Asian celebrities right now on an international level,” he said, admonishing viewers for “not understanding how the industry works.”

chow-ss-slide-036N-jumbo.jpg

Marlon Brando dons prosthetics and makeup to plays a Japanese in "The Teahouse of the August Moon" (1956)

Mr. Landis’s argument closely tracks a statement by the screenwriter Aaron Sorkin.

In a leaked email exchange with studio heads, he complained about the difficulty of adapting “Flash Boys,” Michael Lewis’s book about the Wall Street executive Bradley Katsuyama, because “there aren’t any Asian movie stars.”

chow-ss-slide-E871-jumbo.jpg

Benedict Cumberbatch as the Indian villain Khan Noonien Singh in "Star Trek into Darkness" (2013)

Hollywood seems untroubled by these arguments.

It’s not about race, they say; the only color they see is green: The reason Asian-American actors are not cast to front these films is because not any of them have a box office track record.
But they’re wrong.

If minorities are box office risks, what accounts for the success of the “Fast and Furious” franchise, which presented a broadly diverse team, behind and in front of the camera? Over seven movies it has grossed nearly $4 billion worldwide.

In fact, a recent study by the Ralph J. Bunche Center for African American Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles, found that films with diverse leads not only resulted in higher box office numbers but also higher returns of investment for studios and producers.

chow-ss-slide-TNPL-jumbo.jpg

John Wayne as the Mongol warlord Ghengis Khan in "The Conqueror" (1956)

And Hollywood’s argument is circular: If Asian-Americans — and other minority actors more broadly — are not even allowed to be in a movie, how can they build the necessary box office clout in the first place?

To make matters worse, instead of trying to use their lofty positions in the industry to push for change, Hollywood players like Mr. Landis and Mr. Sorkin take the easy, cynical path.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/23/opinion/why-wont-hollywood-cast-asian-actors.html

----

PS: This is for all the mentally-deficients who came into a thread about Hollywood not to talk about Hollywood, but "whatabout other countries":

Sometimes I wonder if people are intentionally being dense just to make a stupid point about them being stupid.

Other fledging film industries look up to long-established Hollywood for professional inspirations, not the reverse. We should hold ourselves to higher standard and move forward, not looking backward and slow down our pace to match some other low-budget foreign films.

Talented Asian-American actors are plentiful in America, many with decades of experience and accolades. They just aren't being considered for lead roles because movie studios prefer to be "safe". That's a fact.

White actors are much more rare in Asia, with the exception of former British colony (and Asian movie powerhouse) Hong Kong. Most movie budgets in Asia also aren't anywhere near enough to fly in actual foreign actors.

On the other hand, Hong Kong flicks have Western actors playing Western parts since the 1980s, because aspiring British actors were plentiful in their society and ready to fill those roles.

As the result, any "foreign" roles from the British colonial police to the French ambassador to the visiting FBI agents and Navy SEALs are played by Brits in Hong Kong action movies over the last two decades. How do I know this? I have over a hundred of them in my movies collection, that's how.

Other Asian film industries are playing catch-up in that sense of almost-there authenticity, lately the high-profile films and TV series in Korea, Japan, Thailand, and even mainland China are given enough budget to hire Western actors to fill the major "foreigners" roles in the script and write original songs to go with them. Domestic hits like "Descendants of the Sun" and "Dragon Blade" are prime examples.

If we keep moving backward with White girls playing Koreans and Black guys playing Indians, while they continue stepping up as their budgets allows them to, one of these days WE will be the ones playing catch-up.

Last edited:
There's no outrage because Asians don't give a fuck about irrelevant shit like casting in a movie. They're too busy getting an education and a good career.

Since when was Khan Indian? He was played by Ricardo Montalban, a mexican.

To be fair anime whitewashes asians more than Hollywood, the casting doesnt really seems far off.

scarlett-johansson-ghost-in-shell.png

not just white, but anglo/nordic blondes. I remember back when Troy came out, and the racial anthropology forum I frequented were in an uproar because all the characters were played by northern Europeans instead of Mediterraneans. Thats when I started seeing the pattern everywhere of a certain phenotype monopolizing representation in Hollywood.

Am I the only person who doesn't give a shit if an Asian plays an Asian character.

I mean I get why Hollywood does their casting the way they do,they need to make money and sell movies so they can make more movies. But if an Asian is cast and he's a good actor I don't wish he was replaced by an American actor.

I'm also not running a movie studio either though so those decisions aren't left to me

There's no outrage because Asians don't give a fuck about irrelevant shit like casting in a movie. They're too busy getting an education and a good career.

Yes, that's exactly what Asian actors in Hollywood must be thinking. Why WOULD they give a fuck about irrelevant shit like being casted in a movie anyway, when they are busy working on their acting career!

Oh wait. That's just retarded.

Asian-American Actresses Discuss "Ghost in the Shell"
4/19/2016 by Rebecca Sun

c-100_asian_americans_in_hollywood_panel.jpg

During a luncheon at the Beverly Wilshire on Saturday, Agents of SHIELD's Ming-Na Wen and Fresh Off the Boat's Constance Wu shared their reactions to the first image of Scarlett Johansson as Ghost in the Shell heroine Major Motoko Kusanagi.

"It was particularly heinous because they ran CGI tests to make her look more Asian," said Wu of the reports (which Paramount has denied) that the studio employed a visual-effects firm to alter Johansson's appearance. "Some people call it 'yellowface,' but I say 'the practice of blackface employed on Asians' because that's more evocative."

Wu explained that the problem with the reported tests is that "it reduces our race and ethnicity to mere physical appearance, when our race and culture are so much deeper than how we look."

Wen said that although she had already heard about Johansson's casting, seeing the image "with her Asian-esque haircut" prompted her to tweet, "Nothing against Scarlett Johansson. In fact, I'm a big fan. But everything against this Whitewashing of Asian role."

The tweet went somewhat viral, which Wen said made her feel "happy and afraid, because to get back on the soapbox is scary, but I feel I need to. It's about accepting that part of the job."

"Whitewashing will continue if Hollywood thinks it's OK," Wen added, noting examples from Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's to Emma Stone in Aloha. "The fight is exhausting: two steps forward, 10 steps back. But it will continue because we don't voice our opinions and band together to say this is wrong."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/asian-american-actresses-discuss-ghost-885890

Since when was Khan Indian? He was played by Ricardo Montalban, a mexican.

You don't have to be a Trekkie nerd to know "Khan" (as in Genghis Khan) is not a tribal title from Mexico, or "Noonien Singh" is not a Mexican name. o_O

Consider that Noonien Singh
's family is full of Sikhs and his hometown of Punjab still hasn't moved from India since the Star Trek Eugenic Wars books were written (long before they thought of the brilliant idea of casting a dark-skinned Mexican to play a "Khan"), I'd say the only explanation for pasty-white Cumberbatch to be a street rat from Punjab is that he was a bastard British child born in an era when Gandhi was still fighting for India's Independence against the British Crown. :p

Last edited:
To be fair anime whitewashes asians more than Hollywood, the casting doesnt really seems far off.

scarlett-johansson-ghost-in-shell.png
wrong. Anime art draws each race with different characteristics. Youre assuming because the Japanese characters have big eyes it is an attempt to make them white. When in fact they draw caucasians completely differently, to the point where you can tell which characters are meant to be white or Japanese when theyre in the same scene.

wrong. Anime art draws each race with different characteristics. Youre assuming because the Japanese characters have big eyes it is an attempt to make them white. When in fact they draw caucasians completely differently, to the point where you can tell which characters are meant to be white or Japanese when theyre in the same scene.

This doesn't change the fact that Japanese are drawn with big blue eyes, pointy noses and yellow hair. Are these Japanese characteristics?

I am not going to comment on the white washing of Asian characters, but I have to say:

I am sorry I cannot tell the difference between a Laotian and Vietnamese.

I also cannot tell the difference between a Swede and a British person.

Or a guy from Senegal and one from Kenya.

Or a Mexican and Puerto Rican.

@bad seed

You can tell which character is caucasian because they make caricatures out of them to make a point.

When they draw main characters of european ethnicity, they draw them like everyone else, for example Attack on Titan. In that scenario they even do the opposite they draw asians with more asian features to make them stand out, like Mikasa.

The reason is not because they want them to be white, but because american comics and cartoons heavily influenced japanese manga and anime.

Here's a picture of two Japanese making out

Notice the distinctive asian features

aee8cd695bde2416b95b3e0d8bfdbde3.jpg

I think hollywood is so liberal that they don't want to cast minorities as villains often.

This doesn't change the fact that Japanese are drawn with big blue eyes, pointy noses and yellow hair. Are these Japanese characteristics?

Don't quote me on this but I read somewhere about a Japanese thing about dying their hair and other things to break conformity since, genetically, almost everyone has black hair, dark eyes, etc. If every anime character had traditional Japanese hair and color then it would get difficult to tell them apart since they're drawings.

Also, hair color is meant to signify various traits in anime. Watch enough (or too much) anime and you'll gradually learn to pick up character traits just by hair color.

Money man. I find it funny that people just don't get why these companies do this. Money. Plain and simple.

Who buys most movie tickets? Even poor people in the west go to movies. Just so happens a lot of white people live here. They must also find it weird that the majority of Bollywood actors are brown. It's almost like they are going after a certain demographic in that part of the world. Strange...

I still wish they would keep true to an original character more than they do. Scarlett doesn't seem right to me. Needs a svelte Japanese lady. Not sure who.

Here's a picture of two Japanese making out

Notice the distinctive asian features

aee8cd695bde2416b95b3e0d8bfdbde3.jpg

You wanna know something. If you showed me this I would think Asian automatically based off the guys hair and how it's drawn.

Anime comes to mind the second I see it, and when I think anime I think Asian.

Business as usual from Hollywood.

Back