Are the breaks between rounds strictly for entertainment?

The threads I've started have never been anything to write home about but they've never been derailed by mentos either lol.

Get the mentos from the stores with a pharmacy in them, the old folks clear them out on the regular.

Yeah man I’m a stickler for expiration dates so I always head to stores with high turnover.

Last roll I got had an exp date of 12/19, so I figured I was in the clear

but no

Also if things like that are stored incorrectly at some point or not kept at a reasonable temperature during transit it can affect the product.

{<jimmies}

Also if things like that are stored incorrectly at some point or not kept at a reasonable temperature during transit it can affect the product.

{<jimmies}
Yeah man that’s more what I’m thinking. I live down in Florida now and I’m sure those box trucks get very hot

I can only order snacks online during the winter

Yeah man that’s more what I’m thinking. I live down in Florida now and I’m sure those box trucks get very hot

I can only order snacks online during the winter

You can also get Mentos gum in a small tin. You might not be a gum person, but from memory the flavours are quite good.

{<jimmies}

No.

Edit: It allows fighters to talk strategy and tactics with their corner and make adjustments. Also allows the cutman to do his thing.
How anti-purist.

And not to mention blasphemous to the JBG. (If he chooses to blind you with your own blood or split you open to display your bones to the world, who are we to say no?)

No.

Edit: It allows fighters to talk strategy and tactics with their corner and make adjustments. Also allows the cutman to do his thing.

I'd say that all of those things play to the entertainment factor i.e. so that the fighters can fight better.

I'd say that all of those things play to the entertainment factor i.e. so that the fighters can fight better.

Fair enough. You could also argue that it helps the fighter achieve a desired result, for example, winning.

I used to eat a lot of mentos and I farted like crazy. Anyone?

no,main reason are jokes between the rounds!!Teams communicate better,and fighter fights better when they tell jokes!

It is for commercial breaks.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Really? Hope you're trolling.

Odd considering five minute rounds came before TV. The UFC was only on PPV'S back then. No commercials!!!!

As stated above the rounds are first and foremost for fighter safety. Five minute rounds were in part trying to get mma sanctioned with the unified rules across the states and then the globe.

Cut men can do their job, regain some cardio (making it a more exciting fight, in theory) , cornerman can talk strategy..... All the things written above. Think of a HW fight over 25 minutes if their was no "rest" between rounds. After first ten minutes it would get pretty slow and sloppy in many cases.

The commercial arguement makes no sense. If that were the reason why not do ten minutes rounds? Which is closer to time in regular tv breaks .

Fair enough. You could also argue that it helps the fighter achieve a desired result, for example, winning.
Lol yeah, especially when a coach calls for a leg humping session, that's not exactly playing up the entertainment, but it can win fights.

Really? Hope you're trolling.

Odd considering five minute rounds came before TV. The UFC was only on PPV'S back then. No commercials!!!!

As stated above the rounds are first and foremost for fighter safety. Five minute rounds were in part trying to get mma sanctioned with the unified rules across the states and then the globe.

Cut men can do their job, regain some cardio (making it a more exciting fight, in theory) , cornerman can talk strategy..... All the things written above. Think of a HW fight over 25 minutes if their was no "rest" between rounds. After first ten minutes it would get pretty slow and sloppy in many cases.

The commercial arguement makes no sense. If that were the reason why not do ten minutes rounds? Which is closer to time in regular tv breaks .
I thought about this too, but nowadays it's probably why they keep it, they need the ads and most shows are not PPV, so they can't exactly change the rules depending on the show. Maybe it's just a tradition from boxing too, but i know there have been promotions with no rounds so...Hard to tell.

Fuck this whole rounds thingy, let's go full mentos

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

Ah I remember how close Mayhem came to finishing Shields.

I’m gonna go out on limb here and blame regionalism.

Why not during rounds? Would obviously require way more skill, which is a good thing.
I agree. Each fighter is allowed a cornerman with a “tranq gun”
Extra points for shot placement. Neck shot would be the most valuable.

Letting them get a rest so they can start off more active and also be stood up if they were on the ground.

I'm kind of a purist in some aspects and I think the whole round thing takes away from the heart of the sport, I'd like to see what happens with no interference (still standard 15min)

Also, please name fights that would have ended differently if there were no rounds. :)

images

Edit: I realised that they can do it for easier scoring. Even if "on the whole" it might be incorrect.

Edit 2: What's your favourite Mentos flavour? Share and discuss.

images

These are sports, not real fights...and they all have rules..since the very beginning, there has always been rounds in boxing...though way back in the day, they did far more rounds than they do now...I've read about john L sullivan and those guys doing dozens of rounds. but the pace was much slower.

Back