Are the breaks between rounds strictly for entertainment?

Moral Victory

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Letting them get a rest so they can start off more active and also be stood up if they were on the ground.

I'm kind of a purist in some aspects and I think the whole round thing takes away from the heart of the sport, I'd like to see what happens with no interference (still standard 15min)

Also, please name fights that would have ended differently if there were no rounds. :)

images

Edit: I realised that they can do it for easier scoring. Even if "on the whole" it might be incorrect.

Edit 2: What's your favourite Mentos flavour? Share and discuss.

images

Last edited:
No.

Edit: It allows fighters to talk strategy and tactics with their corner and make adjustments. Also allows the cutman to do his thing.

They should have steroid injections in between rounds.

If only I owned the UFC, would be so much more fun, just short of the 4 Billion though.

I'm thinking strictly for fighter safety.

I think I remember some fighter in Bodog fights being handed a roll of lifesavers between rounds

btw, wtf happened to Mentos?

When I was a kid growing up in New England, I’d buy the mixed fruit kind, and they were chewy and pillowy and kind’ve like a giant Skittle, only less tangy.

Here I am as an adult and anytime I buy a roll of Mentos, they’re crunchy and dry and just sort of shatter when you bite into them.

What the fuck is going on with that?

Last edited:
I think I remember some fighter in Bodog fights being handed a roll of lifesavers between rounds

When I was a kid growing up in New England, I’d buy the mixed fruit kind, and they were chewy and plush and kind’ve like a giant Skittle, only less tangy.

Here I am as an adult and anytime I buy a roll of Mentos, they’re crunchy and dry and just sort of shatter when you bite into them.

Don't use plush like that. And the problem is you're buying stale/old Mentos. imo

When I was a kid growing up in New England, I’d buy the mixed fruit kind, and they were chewy and plush and kind’ve like a giant Skittle, only less tangy.

I've has similar experiences, a lot less chewy the latter times I've had one but it might have to do with differences in ingredients for different flavours or simply time stored before consumption.

Actually, try buying some at a very busy store as they probably order new ones way more frequently than your neighbourhood cornerstone for example.

Letting them get a rest so they can start off more active and also be stood up if they were on the ground.

I'm kind of a purist in some aspects and I think the whole round thing takes away from the heart of the sport, I'd like to see what happens with no interference (still standard 15min)

Also, please name fights that would have ended differently if there were no rounds. :)

images

Edit: I realised that they can do it for easier scoring. Even if "on the whole" it might be incorrect.
It is for commercial breaks.
Nothing more, nothing less.

It’s been about a year since I last had any Mentos. The mixed fruit is my favourite also. I have not yet come across the hard ones you describe. I’ll have to buy a roll and check em out. It wouldn’t be the same if they were dry and crunchy.

They should have steroid injections in between rounds.

If only I owned the UFC, would be so much more fun, just short of the 4 Billion though.
What do you think fights would look like with barbed wire ladened knuckles and shins?

@Flex Plexico See if your store has the individually wrapped ones, or the Mentos in the plastic containers. You might have better luck.

I've has similar experiences, a lot less chewy the latter times I've had one but it might have to do with differences in ingredients for different flavours or simply time stored before consumption.

Actually, try buying some at a very busy store as they probably order new ones way more frequently than your neighbourhood cornerstone for example.
Yeah man I’m a stickler for expiration dates so I always head to stores with high turnover.

Last roll I got had an exp date of 12/19, so I figured I was in the clear

but no

I believe the rounds, like the 10 point must scoring system, came over from boxing. Considering boxing had rounds long before it was televised, I doubt it's for commercial considerations. I think the other posters had it right, the round breaks allow the corner to do their thing.

It’s been about a year since I last had any Mentos. The mixed fruit is my favourite also. I have not yet come across the hard ones you describe. I’ll have to buy a roll and check em out. It wouldn’t be the same if they were dry and crunchy.
It’s not the same man

under compression, they just kinda shatter in your mouth and you’re left with jagged shards and fine, powdery particulate

Don't use plush like that. And the problem is you're buying stale/old Mentos. imo
Dude I am a true purist when it comes to candy. Always reading expiration dates and shit

Apologies for the improper plush usage

Back