Are the breaks between rounds strictly for entertainment?

It is for commercial breaks.
Nothing more, nothing less.
Except the rounds were implemented before the UFC ever got on TV.

Not like there are commercials between the rounds during a PPV.

They should have steroid injections in between rounds.

If only I owned the UFC, would be so much more fun, just short of the 4 Billion though.

I realize you're joking, but steroids between rounds would do absolutely nothing for the fighter..considering it takes time for steroids to start to work...

Really? Hope you're trolling.

Odd considering five minute rounds came before TV. The UFC was only on PPV'S back then. No commercials!!!!

As stated above the rounds are first and foremost for fighter safety. Five minute rounds were in part trying to get mma sanctioned with the unified rules across the states and then the globe.

Cut men can do their job, regain some cardio (making it a more exciting fight, in theory) , cornerman can talk strategy..... All the things written above. Think of a HW fight over 25 minutes if their was no "rest" between rounds. After first ten minutes it would get pretty slow and sloppy in many cases.

The commercial arguement makes no sense. If that were the reason why not do ten minutes rounds? Which is closer to time in regular tv breaks .

No, it makes perfect sense.

First of all, when making unified rules of MMA, they obviously stole a lot of things from Boxing.
And the 5 minute rounds came from that and what they had in Pride.

And you can't tell me American sports are not guided for commercial breaks.
Most US sports are literally built for constant breaks. Heck, Soccer is not popular in here because it is a 45 minutes afair with no breaks for commercials, which render short attention span Americans literally unable to watch it.
But look at the NBA, NFL, MLB, etc.
They all have constant stops and breaks for commercials.

Yes, all you said are important, but none is more important than the adds for sponsors. They are the reason for breaks.all the rest are just "other reasons".

Rounds existed before tv.
When fights lasted 50 fucking rounds part of the drama was for the fighter to get off his stool and die a little more.

Except the rounds were implemented before the UFC ever got on TV.

Not like there are commercials between the rounds during a PPV.
except PPV only exists in America. Everywhere else in the world have the UFC in open channels, and they do use commercial breaks.

Last edited:
It is for commercial breaks.
Nothing more, nothing less.
Rounds existed before tv.
When fights lasted 50 fucking rounds part of the drama was for the fighter to get off his stool and die a little more.

I liked for the Mentos addition to the OP. Idk which is my favourite flavour, but I actually don't mind the mint ones.

{<jimmies}

First of all, when making unified rules of MMA, they obviously stole a lot of things from Boxing.

Most US sports are literally built for constant breaks. Heck, Soccer is not popular in here because it is a 45 minutes afair with no breaks for commercials, which render short attention span Americans literally unable to watch it.

Yes, all you said are important, but none is more important than the adds for sponsors. They are the reason for breaks.all the rest are just "other reasons".

except PPV only exists in America. Everywhere else in the world have the UFC in open channels, and they do use commercial breaks.
The rounds were implemented back at UFC 21. They were not AT ALL intended for commercial breaks.

And that was well before the Unified Rules were created.

It's football brah

Had no idea there were so many flavors of mentos, or the fact that people still eat these things. I thought it’s only use was for people to put them in coke and watch it erupt.

The fruit flavor sounds good right now though

Damn ts u want to make guys fight for 25mins straight ? You're a god damn savage

Lol yeah, especially when a coach calls for a leg humping session, that's not exactly playing up the entertainment, but it can win fights.
It would be worth $65 to hear Greg Jackson scream, “hump his leg!!”

I believe the rounds, like the 10 point must scoring system, came over from boxing. Considering boxing had rounds long before it was televised, I doubt it's for commercial considerations. I think the other posters had it right, the round breaks allow the corner to do their thing.

I'm pretty sure they were forced to implement the boxing style system in order to get sanctioned.

It's very unfortunate because it was supposed to be about a fight, a fight to a finish. Now there are too many fighters looking to "outscore" their opponent- whatever the fuck that even means.

It would be nice to even see a 10 minute first round instead of the standard 3 x 5 minutes.

The round breaks are helpful i removing excess blood and addressing cuts. It also in many cases allow the corner and or the attending doctor to assess a fighter that may not be able to continue.

I'm still undecided if the Pride 10 minute/5 minute rounds were superior. It really does seem like the round breaks give fighters a chance to catch their breath.

One thing I can say though is how many times have we seen fighters get rocked at the end of a round only to be saved by the bell (TJ Dillinshaw vs. Garbrandt for example) or get caught in a sub or full mount at the end of a round only to be saved by the bell. Happens more often than we realize.

But UFC wasn't on TV in other countries at the time either.

for a break, commercials, get advice, fix cuts, etc.

pretty much every combat sport has breaks man.

There are no rounds in a street fight so there should be no rounds in a UFC fight.
Cut above your eye bleeding? Too bad suck it up
Out of breath? Too bad suck it up

The whole 10 point must system should be thrown out and the fight should be judged in its totality, which would be a 15 minute single round, (or 25 mins for championship fights).

I think the 5 minute round was introduced to please the athletic commissions and make it more “boxing-like”

I didn't read the thread, but they're many fights that would have ended with a different winner if there were no rounds. The most recent would be Cody and TJ. Cody would still be champion because TJ was 10 seconds from being completely finished.

Back