Are online Ads effective?

Right now there is an ad on my screen for a local restautant. I pretty much never go there, but the ad says they have a new product "ultimate cheesy bacon fries". It's certainly possible I might buy some. I drive by the restautant twice a week.

TPLO17_Chs_Fries-Website-Product-Details-300x280.jpg

Ads don't work on everyone all the time, but they work often enough, or they wouldn't have them.

Last edited:
Apparently it works on people? I us Adblock and no longer have cable tv. Commercials and ads just annoy me now.

Well I use ublock origin now. To the guy above, I don't see YouTube ads. Adblock plus sucks now.

So you dont see autoplaying ads in youtube videos that say skip?

I still see those ads, I just dont see the standard youtube ads on the sides.

Youtubers make a killing on adsense because of those video ads that play, people click those by accident.

Bloggers and websites lost the majority of their money that came from adsense from ad blockers which are now built into windows and mozilla.

Not for me. If anything, I boycott shit that annoys me or impedes me. With YouTube ads, I just press mute and work on something in another window for 30 seconds.

Realistically, I believe that they are. I was just listening to Seth Stephens-Davidowitz on a Freakonomics podcast and while he didn't mention online ads specifically, he said that advertising is proven to be effective. But I can't think of one online ad I've actually seen. I mean, I know I've seen them. But how effective could they be if I can't remember a single one and spend all day online.

So you dont see autoplaying ads in youtube videos that say skip?

I still see those ads, I just dont see the standard youtube ads on the sides.

Youtubers make a killing on adsense because of those video ads that play, people click those by accident.

Bloggers and websites lost the majority of their money that came from adsense from ad blockers which are now built into windows and mozilla.
Do you use Adblock plus or ublock origin? I us le origin and don't see any ads ever. I switched once I read adblock plus was allowing ads from certain sites.

Do you use Adblock plus or ublock origin? I us le origin and don't see any ads ever. I switched once I read adblock plus was allowing ads from certain sites.
I think I use the basic one that comes on my mozilla firefox browser. I dont see ads on websites but the video ads on youtube that say skip this still appear on the video im watching.

No. I view all online ads as evil and potential malware.

I do look at "deals" posts on Reddit or Slickdeals though.

I think I use the basic one that comes on my mozilla firefox browser. I dont see ads on websites but the video ads on youtube that say skip this still appear on the video im watching.
Oh. Well look in the extensions for ublock origin. You won't see shit.

Any advertising works but is not a magic band that you just use it and immediately see results, you have to know about positioning, demographics, how much you are willing to spend, keywords and so on, most of it simple stuff but you have to have certain level of curiosity about it to know how to use it. If you just use it like BLAH no most likely its not going to work, if you are strategic about investing your money sure your chances of making it work just increased A LOT.

Web advertising is the best way to invest your money nowadays and I make my money from other forms of advertising but web is the way to go presently, just be smart about it

Digital ads work if you use them properly. Big banner ads aren't much more effective than print ads. Targeted contextual ads (like Google Ads or Facebook Ads) have a very good R.O.I. if you know what you're doing.

I know most websites including Sherdog have advertising programs. I am curious to know if they are effective and if there was an ad on Sherdog or any other forum that caught your attention?

Try Adblock, seriously, for the love of god, try adblock.

I've bought shirts that pop up in advertisements on Facebook.

But that's about it.

Mostly I ignore them. If I want something then I'll search for it and check out alternatives etc.

One thing they do get me to buy is tickets for events. Shows, bands, stand ups, sports... A lot of things sell out quick so if you don't know it's happening you can miss out. I tend not to click through the links but the adverts work in the sense that I buy the tickets.

Not for me. Especially the ones on YouTube. It makes me not want to buy their shit.

I've bought shirts that pop up in advertisements on Facebook.

But that's about it.

I did buy a shirt I saw on Facebook come to think of it. It was a UFC shirt and I wore it to the UFC last weekend.

Definitely.

I always click the link to find out the penis growing secret doctors don't want you to know!

Back