Are low singles a dick move in bjj?

Magic Swag

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I've been drilling these a lot. The John Smith variety, not the Saku kind. I like it a lot as a shot, but I know an old wrester who says it is a dick move in BJJ b/c people don't know how to defend it and you are liable to blow your opponent's knee out. But that seems kinda unlikely to me. Would like some more thoughts. Danke.

Not if your head is on the outside.

I've been drilling these a lot. The John Smith variety, not the Saku kind. I like it a lot as a shot, but I know an old wrester who says it is a dick move in BJJ b/c people don't know how to defend it and you are liable to blow your opponent's knee out. But that seems kinda unlikely to me. Would like some more thoughts. Danke.
Naw its fine

Jumping guard can blow knees out, but people still do it on the reg.

Low singles are my go to distance takedown. In a competition, they are fair game. In training, I would not surprise a training partner with a low single, but wouldn't hesitate to drill them.

Hurt my knee being on the receiving end of one in practice. Kind of a dick move.

If your knees are bent in a strong athletic stance, how do you hurt your knee hyper extending it?

If you are wearing a gi and standing up tall in the clinch, how does the opponent drop for a low single with you gripping his gi?

I've never felt in danger from them grappling. I've been taken down, but not hurt. They worry me more in MMA sparring where a good wrestler might catch me standing up tall and blast me when I'm not ready. That's way more dangerous.

No one is dropping for a low single in the clinch.

The Saku kind seem dangerous, I get hurt (in a minor manner) almost every time I get hit with it and I don't manage to bend the leg so that the shooter gets kneed in the head.

I hit a ton of low single legs mostly from butt scooting and nobody ever gets injured (against people who like me can't wrestle). Most people in BJJ just fall over.

you have to be extremely new to get hurt from a low single unless something crazy happens

I only been hit with it once and I got knocked on my butt. Didn't even think of it being dangerous.

I don't see how this is a dick move. Low singles are some of my favorite takedowns to go for. Even when I wrestle with people who can wrestle really well.

Low singles dick move?

Sounds like technique shaming to me!
*TRIGGERED*

<JonesDXSuckIt>

Da fuck is this shit? People are funny about what's a "dangerous" technique in a combat sport....

I mean unless you are doing it super explosive I don't know how that could be considered a dick move. You should only do explosive TD's on people who are ready and understand

The John Smith low single attacks below the knee, so there is very little risk of hyperextending the opponents knee. Anyone who says it is a dick move is a DICK themselves because their ego can't take the fact that they just got taken down.

Back