Are low singles a dick move in bjj?

I've been drilling these a lot. The John Smith variety, not the Saku kind. I like it a lot as a shot, but I know an old wrester who says it is a dick move in BJJ b/c people don't know how to defend it and you are liable to blow your opponent's knee out. But that seems kinda unlikely to me. Would like some more thoughts. Danke.

No, it's not a dick move. It's just a good move. Regardless of which side your head is on. You won't blow anyone's knees out. BJJ folk are my folk, and as a BJJ guy I wish the rest of us would stop being such pussies.

I've been drilling these a lot. The John Smith variety, not the Saku kind. I like it a lot as a shot, but I know an old wrester who says it is a dick move in BJJ b/c people don't know how to defend it and you are liable to blow your opponent's knee out. But that seems kinda unlikely to me. Would like some more thoughts. Danke.
Any bjj person whining about it is just mad that if you are finishing the ideal way that they have to pick between you finishing or risking their knee, basically... they're being a pussy that wants you to handicap yourself

Any bjj person whining about it is just mad that if you are finishing the ideal way that they have to pick between you finishing or risking their knee, basically...

In the correct finish isn't risking your knee something you would have to do intentionally in an focused effort to hurt yourself. Falling over when your knee buckles seems super instinctual?

Last edited:
In the correct finish isn't risking your knee something you would have to do intentionally and but in focused effort to hurt yourself as falling over when your knee buckles is super instinctual?
Not sure what you are asking?

Not sure what you are asking?

Screwed up the grammar in that post.
It seems to me like you would have to actually try hard to hurt yourself in a John Smith low single as falling over is natural.

Screwed up the grammar in that post.
It seems to me like you would have to actually try hard to hurt yourself in a John Smith low single as falling over is natural.
If you are especially stubborn you can risk your knee by fighting it

I got hurt the first time a wrestler pulled a low single on me - mainly cause, I didn't know what he was doing.

It has since become my favourite takedown, especially in BJJ, cause you don't have to lock up to get it.

Low single is legit, been hitting that mofo forever. Not sure why anyone would consider it a dick move.

Also everyone always says how dangerous it is but I've never injured anyone with it, nor have I personally seen anyone hurt with it.

You're supposed to drive your shoulder into their shin right below the knee, not directly into the knee.

Low single is legit, been hitting that mofo forever. Not sure why anyone would consider it a dick move.

Also everyone always says how dangerous it is but I've never injured anyone with it, nor have I personally seen anyone hurt with it.

You're supposed to drive your shoulder into their shin right below the knee, not directly into the knee.

I couldn't pull off a low single for ages cause of mal-technique.

I find, as oppose to using shoulder to drive forward, you use the side of your head into the in the inside of their leg, at the lower portion near the ankle, or some do it nearer or on the knee - that's a proper low single.

This shoulder forward, weird knee bar type low single - is not particularly effective.

[

Are you sure you are supposed to drive your shoulder into something?
Yes, this is another variation of the low single, different angle of attack. Shoulder on shin is straight through.
I couldn't pull off a low single for ages cause of mal-technique.

I find, as oppose to using shoulder to drive forward, you use the side of your head into the in the inside of their leg, at the lower portion near the ankle, or some do it nearer or on the knee - that's a proper low single.

This shoulder forward, weird knee bar type low single - is not particularly effective.

Again, just another variation of the same move. Not sure how you're messing up the other variation, you literally just cup the heel, drive forward and they fall.

The first time I had one done to me and I didn't know what was going on. I just feel backwards when it happened. I think it is fine and not a dick move. I would much rather someone goes for a low single than jumps guard on me.

I have been using it for almost 10 years and have never hurt anyone. It is especially useful in no gi butterfly.

Last edited:
If your knees are bent in a strong athletic stance, how do you hurt your knee hyper extending it?

If you are wearing a gi and standing up tall in the clinch, how does the opponent drop for a low single with you gripping his gi?

I've never felt in danger from them grappling. I've been taken down, but not hurt. They worry me more in MMA sparring where a good wrestler might catch me standing up tall and blast me when I'm not ready. That's way more dangerous.

Depend on what happens after impact, the knee can still undergo varus/valgus stress.

Any takedown can hurt your partner if they defend it wrong. However,It does not make it a dick move ".

Last edited:
I think the only way to get hurt from this is if:
a) A lot of people who don't know the takedown seem to think it's a good idea to defend by straightening and stretching their knee/leg. As if "going tall" and stiffboarding will make you stay standing. It doesn't work. What only changes is that you'll get taken down AFTER your knee is put to the test.
b) Someone like Mark Kerr is bulldozing you with a low single.

Back