Are Eddie Bravo's wacky ideas going to hurt his brand?

It's definitely changed the way I look at 10p. I don't know that much about Eddie's system beyond the actual Rubber Guard (which we almost never actually see interestingly enough), but I always thought it was cool that there was someone out there looking at things differently. That kind of thinking keeps an art from stagnating.

Now though, when I look at how he approaches things, how he forms his opinions, and just his thought process in general, it makes me wonder how much of his system is also based on the same flawed level of thinking ...

Don't get me wrong, Eddie is CLEARLY very good at jiujitsu. I just have to wonder how much of his actual 10p system is based on things like "We do this because I've never seen someone not do it", etc etc. Watching more footage of 10p folks in action has been on my list for a while now (I've seen Geo plenty of times but he's an outlier in the 10p org.), but at this point I wonder how much of a waste of time that would be.

Don't get me wrong, Eddie is CLEARLY very good at jiujitsu. I just have to wonder how much of his actual 10p system is based on things like "We do this because I've never seen someone not do it", etc etc. Watching more footage of 10p folks in action has been on my list for a while now (I've seen Geo plenty of times but he's an outlier in the 10p org.), but at this point I wonder how much of a waste of time that would be.

The criticism I think I've heard the most about 10P system is that people tend to view it as heavily based on individual physical attributes. Like you need to be very flexible for many things.

I don't know if that's true or not but I kind of feel that way when I watch them or hear them talk about how flexible Eddie is and so on. I think the best arts are the ones that are universally applicable. Sure being strong or flexible helps you individually but technique wise, the art shouldn't require it by and large.

Maybe the folks who feel this way are just misinformed or not informed enough about 10p.

The criticism I think I've heard the most about 10P system is that people tend to view it as heavily based on individual physical attributes.

I've heard the same as well. It makes a lot of sense too. When you hear Eddie praise his guys, he very rarely (at least on the podcasts I've heard) praises their actual jiujitsu. It's almost always something like "Whoa man! This guy I have coming up now - He's been break dancing since he was a kid and you should see the things his body can do!"

It wouldn't be the only attribute based game in grappling either, but I'm with you when you say you prefer the "universally applicable" arts.

universally applicable" arts

If I can do something why should I care if others can't do that? If anything it's an advantage if other people can't do that because my opponent would have less experience countering that.

If I can do something why should I care if others can't do that? If anything it's an advantage if other people can't do that because my opponent would have less experience countering that.

Because if you need to develop some type of physical attribute before you can even do the art then that's not functional or reliable.

@yetanother

The point being that once you base a system (and I'm speaking generally here and not to 10p specifically - as I said, I don't know enough about 10p) around a specific attribute, you immediately limit who can use it. You also start to limit how effective it actually is. If a system requires a certain physical attribute, a lot of people are going to spend less time learning the system and more time trying to achieve that one attribute. Plus, if you are athletically gifted, you're going to be that much more of a killer when it comes to a "non-attribute" based game. Additionally, how long are you going to be able to do that extra physical thing? Bodies break down quickly in combat sports. What you can do in your early 20's may not be something you can do in your late 20's/early 30's. What will you do then if your whole game was based around a physical attribute you no longer have?

That's just my take on it. I mean certainly, if someone is able to do something special because of a particular physical gift, then go for it. It's certainly a great advantage. I just personally prefer not to base entire systems off of having a particular physical attribute.

I don't think so. His association attracts a different crowd than the average jiu jitsu academy and a lot of them are on board with a lot of his earlier conspiracy theories. His association tends to really be into his cult of personality as it is and I don't see it hurting his brand very much. If he loses anyone I think it would even out with some more people that might gravitate towards it. And if you train at a satellite school you might not even care anyways. If you look on their message boards I don't think you'll see anyone upset over it and you'll probably see a lot of support for his ideas

This is simply not true, I know 10th planet black belts and know for a fact that many of his senior students/school owners are very uncomfortable with his rants.
That's actually comforting to know

He wrote a book? ?? Wow I guess anyone can write a book now a days

He's got 4 that he wrote in the late 00's and early 10's.

If you're listening to Eddie Bravo for anything other than his perspective on jiu jitsu..."Bro, you fucked up a long time ago."

No. I'm a middle aged slightly overweight Mexican dude that lives in Texas. I'm just curious about this craziness. These theories are ridiculous. He needs to stop listening to Alex jones.

Well since Alex Jones recently outed himself as a performance artist/con man in an attempt to win custody of his children perhaps his show will die a quick death. Though I doubt it.

Well since Alex Jones recently outed himself as a performance artist/con man in an attempt to win custody of his children perhaps his show will die a quick death. Though I doubt it.
I wish that was the case. I imagine he will say that he needed to say anything to keep his children and something about conspiracy theories. Yes, Alex Jones is a dangerous person, even our idiot in charge gets his "facts" from him.

If you're listening to Eddie Bravo for anything other than his perspective on jiu jitsu..."Bro, you fucked up a long time ago."
That's the thing though. Lately I have been listening to podcasts when Eddie Bravo is speaking usually to hear about his EBI and jiu jitsu, then he goes off on these crazy rants about these crazy conspiracy theories. I turn it off because it's just stupid and I don't want to hear it.

If you're letting Eddie Bravo's views on conspiracies effect your view on his BJJ, you're an idiot, honestly.

If you know anything about how Eddie system has been built from the ground up, then you know full well that there's no possible way his views on the earth could effect his abilities as a BJJ pioneer/instructor. His system is not based on 'wacky ideas', it's a system tailored for MMA and no gi BJJ, all of it works, and the success and credibility of his style speaks for it's self. Try telling Geo Martinez that Eddie's wacky ideas might have corrupted his BJJ teaching.

Unless you can point to a reason how it would, you are full of shit and taking his views on stuff you don't agree with way too personally.

As a parent I wouldn't send my children to train with a Sandy Hook Denier/Anti Vaxxer.

If you're letting Eddie Bravo's views on conspiracies effect your view on his BJJ, you're an idiot, honestly.

If you know anything about how Eddie system has been built from the ground up, then you know full well that there's no possible way his views on the earth could effect his abilities as a BJJ pioneer/instructor. His system is not based on 'wacky ideas', it's a system tailored for MMA and no gi BJJ, all of it works, and the success and credibility of his style speaks for it's self. Try telling Geo Martinez that Eddie's wacky ideas might have corrupted his BJJ teaching.

Unless you can point to a reason how it would, you are full of shit and taking his views on stuff you don't agree with way too personally.
You do not understand what I am talking about. I definitely respect Eddie for his jiu jitsu and his accomplishments. I wish he would tone it down on his conspiracy talk and promote his brand. Listen an occasional fun talk about UFOs and stuff like that is fine. It's one thing to have a fun talk like that after practice with the guys, it's another thing to try and promote those ideas as truth.

How many parents would be like man that's a great place for my family to train. A sandy hook denier and pizza gate nutjob. Yup that's the best place for my kids.

Defensive much?

Not a single person here has said that 10p BJJ is somehow based on a wacky conspiracy theory. If you know "how his system has been built from the ground up", maybe point us to some links or something. I for one have been pretty clear (in this thread and in others) that I've always been curious about it.

It's like this (and keep in mind I'm not speaking for anyone else) -

For me personally, I can clearly see that Eddie is good at BJJ. Can't really argue that right? That said, when you see how Eddie forms beliefs based on EXTREMELY flawed logic, when you see him absolutely CLING to severely flawed concepts/ideas based on him not even understanding what he's seen/read/heard, and when you see him get presented with proof that he literally misunderstood the thing he's been quoting (as Jamie showed on the last Rogan podcast w/Eddie) and Eddie just reverts to screaming "I'm CRAZY", or "Man they got you!" - it makes you wonder about everything else. It makes people like me, who are outside 10p, and don't know much about it (but are curious and would like to learn), think "Wow, so Eddie seems to bring a very intellectually flawed thought process to everything he does. How much of his flawed thought process went into his system." No one is saying 10P was inspired by flat earth. I am saying that Eddies public persona and apparent lack of a proper thought process makes me a lot more skeptical of his BJJ instruction than I might otherwise have been. A lot of his system still has basic BJJ in it, so it's still going to be effective at a certain level. Just makes me wonder about the specific stuff he added. Notice, I didn't even say it was bad or anything like that. Just makes me wonder.

EDIT: To be even more clear - prior to his recent episodes, I always just assumed the stuff Eddie added was great.

I would think that any reasonable person would feel the same, or at least be able to see my point there.

Last edited:

And there's the child like attitude

Defensive much?

Not a single person here has said that 10p BJJ is somehow based on a wacky conspiracy theory. If you know "how his system has been built from the ground up", maybe point us to some links or something. I for one have been pretty clear (in this thread and in others) that I've always been curious about it.

It's like this (and keep in mind I'm not speaking for anyone else) -

For me personally, I can clearly see that Eddie is good at BJJ. Can't really argue that right? That said, when you see how Eddie forms beliefs based on EXTREMELY flawed logic, when you see him absolutely CLING to severely flawed concepts/ideas based on him not even understanding what he's seen/read/heard, and when you see him get presented with proof that he literally misunderstood the thing he's been quoting (as Jamie showed on the last Rogan podcast w/Eddie) and Eddie just reverts to screaming "I'm CRAZY", or "Man they got you!" - it makes you wonder about everything else. It makes people like me, who are outside 10p, and don't know much about it (but are curious and would like to learn), think "Wow, so Eddie seems to bring a very intellectually flawed thought process to everything he does. How much of his flawed thought process went into his system." No one is saying 10P was inspired by flat earth. I am saying that Eddies public persona and apparent lack of a proper thought process makes me a lot more skeptical of his BJJ instruction than I might otherwise have been. A lot of his system still has basic BJJ in it, so it's still going to be effective at a certain level. Just makes me wonder about the specific stuff he added. Notice, I didn't even say it was bad or anything like that. Just makes me wonder.

EDIT: To be even more clear - prior to his recent episodes, I always just assumed the stuff Eddie added was great.

I would think that any reasonable person would feel the same, or at least be able to see my point there.

If you are skeptical about any of his techniques, post them up and we can discuss this. You said you are skeptical about the specific stuff he added, the logical thing to do would be to look into these things and establish a proper view, not tar Eddie's work based on him liking conspiracy theories. Until you can produce something tangible, the discussion is pointless. Eddie Bravo has been obsessed with BJJ for about 20 years and a lot of the variation in his curriculum comes from being MMA focused in a time when most BJJ schools weren't. Buy his book or look up his work, it's not hard to look up the history of 10th planet.

Look into what you are talking about and if you find anything that you think is a product of Eddie Bravos conspiracy mindset then we can talk. I'll wait for you to post these examples then we can continue, if you're not willing to debate the actual teaching and techniques you're skeptical about then your view isn't going to change.

You do not understand what I am talking about. I definitely respect Eddie for his jiu jitsu and his accomplishments. I wish he would tone it down on his conspiracy talk and promote his brand. Listen an occasional fun talk about UFOs and stuff like that is fine. It's one thing to have a fun talk like that after practice with the guys, it's another thing to try and promote those ideas as truth.

How many parents would be like man that's a great place for my family to train. A sandy hook denier and pizza gate nutjob. Yup that's the best place for my kids.

That's got nothing to do with the quality and effectiveness of his BJJ work. If you don't want your kids hanging out at a 10th planet then don't send them to a 10th planet.

I'm laughing at the idea of Eddie's conspiracy mindset leading to techniques people should be skeptical about.

That's got nothing to do with the quality and effectiveness of his BJJ work. If you don't want your kids hanging out at a 10th planet then don't send them to a 10th planet.

I'm laughing at the idea of Eddie's conspiracy mindset leading to techniques people should be skeptical about.
I never questioned Eddie's technical skill ever, in any of my posts have I questioned his technical skill. You are confusing the subject matter and trying to create a red herring.

Back