Anyone Picking Maia over Usman?

dWVAw_s-200x150.gif
GrossUnrealisticGrub-max-1mb.gif

It seems like a lot of people are thinking Usman will run right through Maia. I'm wondering if any of you out there are favoring Maia?

To be clear, I'm giving an edge to Usman, but only because it's a short notice fight and Maia's cardio may be even worse than usual.

I still think Maia has a great chance, though, because Maia's takedowns are not traditional takedowns at all and Usman doesn't have much time to prepare specifically for Maia. ATT had three camps in a row to perfect their gameplan against maia—they failed with masvidal, succeeded with Woodley, and then took it to the next level with Covington. Alot of people act like Maia automatically loses to wrestlers, but Usman isn't as high a level wrestler as Covington or woodley, and Maia has beaten wrestlers before in Sonnen, Fitch, story and Laflare (and arguable beat munoz and shields as well), so it's not like wrestlers are automatically Maia's kryptonite.

Usman doesn't have those coaches who were preparing for Maia in three back to back fights, and in fact his team is notable for having less than stellar bjj defense. Even on short notice I give Maia a good chance, but I think his conditioning will be the deciding factor.

Pfffff, Usman is fooked.

Maia via sub in the first.

Im pretty sure Usman has all the tools to win and will, but if Maia came in at even money I wouldn't be shocked you are always one slip away from being stuck in a Maia grappling vortex

Does anyone actually care and want to see his fights anymore?

He has been involved in two of the boringest fights in the history of mma and they were both gifted title fights.

F that guy

One was a late replacement and the other was after a 7 fight win streak.

Me. I don't think Maia will be able to get the takedowns easily but from what I've seem from Usmans stand up, I'm not all that impressed. He has power and speed but he relies a lot on awkward movement and stance switches which I think will get him in trouble against Maia. I think the later the fight gets the uglier it gets and I favor Maia in a uglier fight here.

Usman will hold maia against the fence all fight won't risk it going to the floor. Be a snooze fest. Don't care.

tenor.gif
Has anyone ever held Maia against the fence in his career?

It seems like a lot of people are thinking Usman will run right through Maia. I'm wondering if any of you out there are favoring Maia?

To be clear, I'm giving an edge to Usman, but only because it's a short notice fight and Maia's cardio may be even worse than usual.

I still think Maia has a great chance, though, because Maia's takedowns are not traditional takedowns at all and Usman doesn't have much time to prepare specifically for Maia. ATT had three camps in a row to perfect their gameplan against maia—they failed with masvidal, succeeded with Woodley, and then took it to the next level with Covington. Alot of people act like Maia automatically loses to wrestlers, but Usman isn't as high a level wrestler as Covington or woodley, and Maia has beaten wrestlers before in Sonnen, Fitch, story and Laflare (and arguable beat munoz and shields as well), so it's not like wrestlers are automatically Maia's kryptonite.

Usman doesn't have those coaches who were preparing for Maia in three back to back fights, and in fact his team is notable for having less than stellar bjj defense. Even on short notice I give Maia a good chance, but I think his conditioning will be the deciding factor.

Maia always has a chance... unless he can't take the fighter down :D

but that said, WAR MAIA!!!!!!!!!

I think maia takes it easy.

Usman wants Colby because of the. Brazil comment. Even though he is not Brazilian he got very butt hurt.

See who takes on maia better

lol nah.

usman is a better version of colby, more explosive wrestling, better striking with more power.

It will be a terrible slow boring decision loss for maia.

His record against black fighters proves this.

I WANT Maia to win but ...yeah he's getting pretty old

If Maia can get on the ground with him, yes...BUT this will be his third high level wrestler in a row, and the last two showed how to beat Maia, by avoiding the ground like little bitches (inb4: smart game plan, they still got the win, blah blah blah, yeah, I know). Point is, Usman, if he wants to, can follow the same drill, and most likely prevail.

Maia has improved his offensive wrestling, but not enough against these guys. He needs to mix his TD's better, pull guard (more), don't force it, be unconventional, etc. I wish the guy had good kicks...damn. T-Clitty has pointed out this flaw with BJJ guys, the need to find better ways to get it to the ground. Ortega sees subs coming from exchanging strikes, not stalking, shooting from far away, failing TD, repeat (like Maia vs Tyrun).

These short notice fights against elite wrestlers, scared to grapple with him, at his age, hasn't done him any favors. I've always been a huge Maia fan, and will always pull for him...but this fight could very well look like the last two.

Last edited:
If Maia can get on the ground with him, yes...BUT this will be his third high level wrestler in a row, and the last two showed how to beat Maia, by avoiding the ground like little bitches (inb4: smart game plan, they still got the win, blah blah blah, yeah, I know). Point is, Usman, if he wants to, can follow the same drill, and most likely prevail.

Maia has improved his offensive wrestling, but not enough against these guys. He needs to mix his TD's better, pull guard, don't force it, be unconventional, etc. I wish the guy had good kicks...damn. T-Clitty has pointed out this flaw with BJJ guys, the need to find better ways to get it to the ground. Ortega sees subs coming from exchanging strikes, not stalking, shooting from far away, failing TD, repeat (like Maia vs Tyrun).

These short notice fights against elite wrestlers, scared to grapple with him, at his age, hasn't done him any favors. I've always been a huge Maia fan, and will always pull for him...but this fight could very well look like the last two.

Maia does pull guard then he goes for a deep half sweep. I always wished he worked on a kicking game too. Still, I think Maia paved the way for a lot of future BJJ players. I can't think of any other BJJ guy who has added wrestling in their game as well as Maia.

Usman isn't the same level wrestler as Woodley and Covington, and Maia has beaten high class wrestlers before--i don't think it's as simple as "any good wrestler beats Maia".

Anyways, war Maia!!

Usman looked tired to me in the 3rd against Meek, and there were a lot of clinch scrambles throughout the fight. Meek didn’t have the grappling skills to do much with those, but Maia might. Not saying it would be easy by any means though, Usman is a solid fighter.
Maia also wilted quickly cardio-wise against Colby. It was shocking really. When I saw Maia shooting for takedowns in the middle of the cage without any setup, I knew it was the beginning of the end.

I feel Maia will gas first before Usman.

Usman will hold maia against the fence all fight won't risk it going to the floor. Be a snooze fest. Don't care.

tenor.gif
Who the fuck is that? Looks like Jabba the Hutts down syndromes little sister

Don't forget how tough Maia is. He's got a very good chin and avoids punishment pretty well. He's been finished ONCE in 33 fights by Nate the Great when Nate was a monster. He's been in there with some of the best fighters in the world and managed to survive and usually win. Mind you, when he loses against elite fighters it's generally due to cardio issues, which causes those fights to suck all kinds of dick.

Usman should win this, but I'll be very, very surprised if he pulls off the finish. Although he is 40 now...

Back