Anyone Picking Maia over Usman?

fortheo

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
It seems like a lot of people are thinking Usman will run right through Maia. I'm wondering if any of you out there are favoring Maia?

To be clear, I'm giving an edge to Usman, but only because it's a short notice fight and Maia's cardio may be even worse than usual.

I still think Maia has a great chance, though, because Maia's takedowns are not traditional takedowns at all and Usman doesn't have much time to prepare specifically for Maia. ATT had three camps in a row to perfect their gameplan against maia—they failed with masvidal, succeeded with Woodley, and then took it to the next level with Covington. Alot of people act like Maia automatically loses to wrestlers, but Usman isn't as high a level wrestler as Covington or woodley, and Maia has beaten wrestlers before in Sonnen, Fitch, story and Laflare (and arguable beat munoz and shields as well), so it's not like wrestlers are automatically Maia's kryptonite.

Usman doesn't have those coaches who were preparing for Maia in three back to back fights, and in fact his team is notable for having less than stellar bjj defense. Even on short notice I give Maia a good chance, but I think his conditioning will be the deciding factor.

dWVAw_s-200x150.gif

Me. Maia is a beast on the ground. I don't think anyone beats him there, that bjj world champ is no joke, though I do see usman knocking him out. But if Maia wins, Usman won't be relevant for the next 2 years

Not picking him, but won't be shocked too much if he pulls out a sub. Maia is, after all, the highest ranked fighter that Usman will have fought by a country mile.

The blueprint is already there for wrestlers. Sad to say, but Usman should be able to win this one.

Always pulling for Maia though

Usman will hold maia against the fence all fight won't risk it going to the floor. Be a snooze fest. Don't care.

tenor.gif

Me. Maia is a beast on the ground. I don't think anyone beats him there, that bjj world champ is no joke, though I do see usman knocking him out. But if Maia wins, Usman won't be relevant for the next 2 years

You know the gameplan to beat Maia has always been there right? Any great wrestler with better striking will have Maia's number. Kumaru has better standup than Colby's and just as good a wrestler. This will be a mediocre strike fest, but I hope Maia wins cause Im a big fan.

You know the gameplan to beat Maia has always been there right? Any great wrestler with better striking will have Maia's number. Kumaru has better standup than Colby's and just as good a wrestler. This will be a mediocre strike fest, but I hope Maia wins cause Im a big fan.

Non gassed maia is a better striker than Colby, too, so that's not saying much lol.

Usman will hold maia against the fence all fight won't risk it going to the floor. Be a snooze fest. Don't care.

tenor.gif

Maia is best against the fence, so I hope usman tries that.

Yet it was Maia who lost the strike fest.

Hence my original post about Maia's cardio, notably on short notice, will be the only reason why I'm not favoring him in this fight.

Maia is best against the fence, so I hope usman tries that.
I just don't think usman will want to chance it going to the ground , saying that though maias stand-up is decent enough not to get ko'd so it'll be interesting in that sense. Just got a feeling maia will spam single legs all night

Usman has relied on his grappling to win all his recent fights. Against Maia, it’s not a good plan. I think Maia catches the sub

There is a lot a film now to study how to stop his single legs. Maia is one of my favorite fighters but I really don't like his chances here especially with it be short notice and 5 rounds.

It’s a winnable fight for Maia, Usman is a solid fighter but he doesn’t have great cardio, and he gets into clinches a lot. There are definitely some opportunities for Maia there.

There is a lot a film now to study how to stop his single legs. Maia is one of my favorite fighters but I really don't like his chances here especially with it be short notice and 5 rounds.

You need to reduce maia's shot down to only single legs first, which means keeping him out of the clinch, which is where he excels. Usman, almost always fights in the clinch....so it will be interesting.

Like I've said in other threads; Maia ain't the type to just show up for a paycheck. I think he's spotted some weakness or hole in Usman's game that he thinks he can take advantage of. I think this will be a ground war, but I think we might see the return of Human Backpack Maia.

giphy.gif

Back