Anyone else think Kelvin Gastelum has potential to be champ

P4PSHERGOAT

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
at 170? He needs to do what he can to get back to 170 because he will never reach the top level of middleweight and he knows it too

Dude is wasting his talent being so undisciplined
Video: 1:05

Last edited:
Can't be champ if he can't make weight. Dude has had numerous chances to make weight. Not a champions mentality of discipline.

yep.a young sick gastelum split decisions woodley.i believe he can destroy woodley with his current skills

Last edited:
170 yes, too small to be competitive with the top MW`s.

I missed the Woodley-Gastelum fight and I've been heistant to go watch it just because I feel it'll be a slog to get through. How was it? Did Woodley dominate?

Can't be champ if he can't make weight. Dude has had numerous chances to make weight. Not a champions mentality of discipline.
He's made weight more times at 170 than he's missed it.

I missed the Woodley-Gastelum fight and I've been heistant to go watch it just because I feel it'll be a slog to get through. How was it? Did Woodley dominate?

Near dead even fight that ended in a split decision.

At 170 he can definitely be champ, right now he's wasting his career away.

If I remember correctly Gastelum missed weight by a few pounds. As far as the fight goes if I remember correctly, Woodley didn't look overly impressive, he clearly won but it wasn't some amazing performance.

at 170? He needs to do what he can to get back to 170 because he will never reach the top level of middleweight and he knows it too

Dude is wasting his talent being so undisciplined

If he becomes champ, he will be a Michael Bisping type champ. Right fight, right time champion.

He is not going to be a Tony Ferguson, Max Holloway and Jon Jones type of champion. Run through a division to get the championship type champions.

Not all champions are created equally. The UFC has already stated their belt are just a promotional gimmick. They can give the title shot to who ever they want.

If he becomes champ, he will be a Michael Bisping type champ. Right fight, right time champion.

He is not going to be a Tony Ferguson, Max Holloway and Jon Jones type of champion. Run through a division to get the championship type champions.

Not all champions are created equally. The UFC has already stated their belt are just a promotional gimmick. They can give the title shot to who ever they want.
Why do you say that?

Kelvin could be entering his prime right now, so who knows. He needs a full time nutritionist/chef to keep him on the right path. He needs to be at 170. It all depends on him.

It's not just about discipline. Sometimes your body just doesn't drop weight like you would want it to. People act like, oh just because Rockhold and Weidman can drop 30 pounds to 185 then anybody can. Everyone's body is different and it might not be a 100% diet issue. When your body naturally carries around extra weight for so long its not easy to just cut it out. He has a thicker frame and if you look at his high school and college wrestling videos he was always the same way, a thicker kid. Don't assume it's just mental or something.

Why do you say that?
He loves Mexican food more than being serious about fighting, and he doesn't train hard as stated by him and people in the fighting circle.

He is not a next level talent, and he doesn't take his craft seriously. That makes him "just another guy." Right fight right time, yes, he can be champ. If he has to walk through a gauntlet, he will not be champ.

It's not just about discipline. Sometimes your body just doesn't drop weight like you would want it to. People act like, oh just because Rockhold and Weidman can drop 30 pounds to 185 then anybody can. Everyone's body is different and it might not be a 100% diet issue. When your body naturally carries around extra weight for so long its no easy to just cut it out. He has a thicker frame and if you look at his high school and college wrestling videos he was always the same way, a thicker kid. Don't assume it's just mental or something.
True, that could be what’s happening. If that’s the case though he’s fucked because at least if it’s a discipline issue he can fix it but if his body just can’t let go of the weight then there is nothing he can do.

If he could make the weight without issue at 170 then I feel he could be champ. Sadly tho he struggles with that weight cut occasionally.

Back