Anthony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko rematch pencilled in for November 11 at T-Mobile Center in Las

So Joshua can get more exposure in the US. It also sets the stage to have Joshua/Wilder in the US (assuming that falls into place). It might not pay off immediately in one fight, but they're looking down the road. As much as he can make in the UK, he'd make more if he were able to become a mainstream star in the US as a HW with a 100% KO percentage (I'm not sure if that's realistic, but I'm sure Hearn is willing to give it a go).

Two European fighters in front of what I would expect to be an 80%+ British crowd doesn't really seem the best way of increasing AJs exposure in the US, though perhaps Hearn is playing the long game as you say.

Certainly hope AJ isn't looking past Wlad as this is still a very losable fight second time round. Wlad controlled the distance excellently first time round and had opportunities to finish it. AJ also needs to shed some muscle, but I have real doubts he will.

the punch that dropped him was like a bullet.

it was gorgeous.
It was beautiful.
and not to mention, he did try and get him out of there but Joshua did a good job of surviving the round, i think Wlad blew all of his power in that round and decided the safest option was to try and win on points
I remember him whiffing on a big hook and then being pretty conservative again with straight punches.

Maybe he was spent, I still think he should have threw everything possible. The finish was there for the taking. Kudos to AJ for surviving though.

It was beautiful.

I remember him whiffing on a big hook and then being pretty conservative again with straight punches.

Maybe he was spent, I still think he should have threw everything possible. The finish was there for the taking. Kudos to AJ for surviving though.

oh deffo, i think he would have had a much better shot if he threw everything, but i also think him being knocked down earlier took some wind out of his sails

it was a pretty epic fight in all honesty, 2 big guys who can clearly bang trying to outsmart each other, i think if they fight again, it may just be a straight shootout as Klitschko will know he has to get him out of there as Joshua carries his power

oh deffo, i think he would have had a much better shot if he threw everything, but i also think him being knocked down earlier took some wind out of his sails

it was a pretty epic fight in all honesty, 2 big guys who can clearly bang trying to outsmart each other, i think if they fight again, it may just be a straight shootout as Klitschko will know he has to get him out of there as Joshua carries his power
It was a really underrated fight imo. Im surprised it hasnt gotten more attention and praise.

Is anyone genuinely excited for this fight? Or just watching it because of the names involved?

Wlad still has to announce if he is taking this fight or retire...
In german news papers his promoter said he will tell what he is going to do next in a couple of days...

But seems to me he is trying again...
That is the biggest fight he can have right now...and for Joshua too.
There is a venue
There is a date
There is Joshua
There was an epic 1. fight

and not to mention, he did try and get him out of there but Joshua did a good job of surviving the round, i think Wlad blew all of his power in that round and decided the safest option was to try and win on points

He kept on trying to finish with the left hook but it's slower now and Joshua saw it coming.

I heard vitali say that he advised wlad to hold back as Joshua looked done, and he did! same against whyte but he seemed to get a 2nd wind in both fights. it's unusual for a HW to be able to recover like that when they seemed gassed

yeah, it may be the best option to try and take Joshua out in the middle rounds when he looks like he is blowing a bit, seems that he is very dangerous early and once the mid rounds pass

Joshua has to be favored but I honestly think Wlad got him out of there if he really went for the kill.

He did go for the kill, he's just 40 year old.

There's a bit of a false narrative painted in this fight that Wlad just let Joshua recover for a few rounds. When he gassed in the 5th, Wlad hit him with bombs, multiple step in left hooks, uppercuts, straight rights etc. In the 6th he done the same thing, but after that Joshua started to box more and didn't let Wlad go for the kill.

Joshua was ducking the left hook which was the thing that saved him. After he got hit and hurt in the 5th with that shot, he ducked pretty much every one after.

There's a bit of a false narrative painted in this fight that Wlad just let Joshua recover for a few rounds. When he gassed in the 5th, Wlad hit him with bombs, multiple step in left hooks, uppercuts, straight rights etc. In the 6th he done the same thing, but after that Joshua started to box more and didn't let Wlad go for the kill.

Joshua was ducking the left hook which was the thing that saved him. After he got hit and hurt in the 5th with that shot, he ducked pretty much every one after.
Finally a coherent analysis.

yeah, it may be the best option to try and take Joshua out in the middle rounds when he looks like he is blowing a bit, seems that he is very dangerous early and once the mid rounds pass

Yeah he does have a tendency to gas out in the middle of fights then gets his second wind.

Yep. Joshuas head movement when he uses it is pretty good for a man his size.

Nah. He threw one big hook that he whiffed on and then went back to conservative straights. Joshua did well there but Wlad certainly wasnt going all out.

Hasn't the lack of killer instinct with Wlad been a common criticism throughout his career? That's all I figured it was. imo Wlad could have stopped him doesn't have the mentality needing to go for a stoppage when there's risk, and so he was content to try and coast through, as he has often done, then Joshua caught a second wind late in the fight and it was over.

Hasn't the lack of killer instinct with Wlad been a common criticism throughout his career? That's all I figured it was. imo Wlad could have stopped him doesn't have the mentality needing to go for a stoppage when there's risk, and so he was content to try and coast through, as he has often done, then Joshua caught a second wind late in the fight and it was over.
I'm not sure thats the fair accusation. If he caught you flush he dropped.

Nah. He threw one big hook that he whiffed on and then went back to conservative straights. Joshua did well there but Wlad certainly wasnt going all out.

I'm afraid you're incorrect, and it can be proven quite easily by just watching the 5th round. Wlad didn't let up for a second, he landed every shot in the book, had him pinned against the ropes and in danger a couple of times. He landed multiple big left hooks, that's a fact. Straight rights aren't conservative either, and he only has 2/3 weapons anyway. Fighters don't turn into something completely different just because their opponent has gassed.

If you were expecting a 40 year old Wlad to be able to walk through AJ just because he had him buzzed a bit then that's probably why you felt overwhelmed. The reason he couldn't was because AJ took all of his best shots on the 5th, then managed to slip, duck and avoid the onslaught in round 6.

Wlad give it everything, but ultimately, it wasn't enough. Anyone thinking he didn't give it all in that fight is crazy. He performed out of his skin and it's simply unrealistic to expect him to be able to blast a guy like AJ out of there.

Yeah he didn't let Joshua off the hook as many think but he didn't go all out for the finish, I've seen an interview with Vitali which said as much, and he blames himself. In hindsight that is maybe what he should've done but he knows himself that he could blow his load. Joshuas powers of recovery are incredible for a HW. He looked done against both Wlad and Whyte

I'm afraid you're incorrect, and it can be proven quite easily by just watching the 5th round. Wlad didn't let up for a second, he landed every shot in the book, had him pinned against the ropes and in danger a couple of times. He landed multiple big left hooks, that's a fact. Straight rights aren't conservative either, and he only has 2/3 weapons anyway. Fighters don't turn into something completely different just because their opponent has gassed.

If you were expecting a 40 year old Wlad to be able to walk through AJ just because he had him buzzed a bit then that's probably why you felt overwhelmed. The reason he couldn't was because AJ took all of his best shots on the 5th, then managed to slip, duck and avoid the onslaught in round 6.

Wlad give it everything, but ultimately, it wasn't enough. Anyone thinking he didn't give it all in that fight is crazy. He performed out of his skin and it's simply unrealistic to expect him to be able to blast a guy like AJ out of there.
No Im not incorrect. Ive watched it many times. He certainly could have done more.

Again though, he may have been gassed himself and Joshua did well to avoid what was thrown.

Back