Another Reason to Hate Millennials - Rated Worst Tippers

You dont. Open your eyes and dont be an asshole.

If you dont tip anything your waiter is paying for you to eat and consuming their time with you decreasing other potentially tipping tables.

You are stealing from them
Steal from the wrong person on the wrong day, you could get fucked up.

My beef with you people is that a monkey can do your job, yet you want to get paid like a doctor.

Want good money?

Get a job that requires some brains; they tend to pay better.

Funny story

went out to chilis the other night. Horrible service. Food was slow coming. one plate was luke warm, drink had something floating in it(before you say its because i dont tip this happened, this was in fact my first time there because we were traveling across the country).

so ya on a 60 dollar order they got shit.

so whats so funny is i parked in a spot that i could see my table(obviously not on purpose). so we get in the car and were getting ready to leave and we can see the server coming to our table and he picks up the receipt and puts his arms out like come at me bro. We started laughing so hard. There was another server there and you can see our server doing alot of hand movements and pointing, you know he was talking alot of shit because it was closing time and chili was almost empty. But the server happens to turn around and sees us all in our car laughing hysterically. ya he wasnt to happy,
Sounds like he was ready to do some throat slicing

Tips are stupid. Businesses should pay their servers adequate wages. Subsidizing their overhead because they're too miserly to pay it themselves should be made obsolete.
this for me too, tipping is a fuckin' nonsense, and it has nothing to do with ''cheapness'' employers should just pay their staff properly.

with that being said, i'm no fan of millennials or any generation that has their faces buried in a smart phone 24/7, that's why i'd like to see dog owners be more irresponsible and not clean up after their pets, we need more dogshit on our walkways, so these c*nts look where they are going.

I bar tended in college and made a fortune. I tip. And have no issue doing so. It’s a system that guarantees the server will work hard for me. Believe me, the service drops when tipping isn’t a thing. As for Millenials, it’s not their fault they are broke entitled participation awarded snots. Their parents made them that way.

Funny story

went out to chilis the other night. Horrible service. Food was slow coming. one plate was luke warm, drink had something floating in it(before you say its because i dont tip this happened, this was in fact my first time there because we were traveling across the country).

so ya on a 60 dollar order they got shit.

so whats so funny is i parked in a spot that i could see my table(obviously not on purpose). so we get in the car and were getting ready to leave and we can see the server coming to our table and he picks up the receipt and puts his arms out like come at me bro. We started laughing so hard. There was another server there and you can see our server doing alot of hand movements and pointing, you know he was talking alot of shit because it was closing time and chili was almost empty. But the server happens to turn around and sees us all in our car laughing hysterically. ya he wasnt to happy,
Here's the thing; Chili's is the new golf course. It's where business happens

"Tipping is stupid, restaurants need to pay livable wages!"
*negatively impacts waiters' wages by not tipping*

<{hfved}>

this for me too, tipping is a fuckin' nonsense, and it has nothing to do with ''cheapness'' employers should just pay their staff properly.

with that being said, i'm no fan of millennials or any generation that has their faces buried in a smart phone 24/7, that's why i'd like to see dog owners be more irresponsible and not clean up after their pets, we need more dogshit on our walkways, so these c*nts look where they are going.

Millennial - Check
Phone - Check
Dog Pooping - Check

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/millennials-worst-tippers-survey-says-120422248.html

This is so great. It completely explains why there are so many "Tipping" threads on this site... with people trying to justify their cheapness and attempting to rally more posters to their side to help ease their self loathing, which is already soul crushing. Even better is the significant percentage of millennials who don't tip at all.

I love the rational.

For the most part, they're broke. Cool Story Bro, way to pass on your misery to the Server you just fucked, who's probably also a millennial.

You know what I didn't do when I was a struggling 20 something, trying to work through college and get my career started.

Eat out on a regular basis.

BUT, what kills me even more is that later in the article, millennials say would prefer to "Pay More" for their food or services instead of tip. I've heard this bounced around before and it makes no fucking sense. The Tip is the reward/motivation for someone to provide good service. Whether it's a shoe shine, serving food or giving a ride. If the tip is already included, when the service is shitty, you still have to still pay the same amount...

Is it just sheer laziness on their part that they don't want to tip separately? Is math that hard? Seriously, help me understand this.
The part i highlighted is just pure rationalization of a lie.

No they would hate to be forced to basically tip on every service and meal if it was built into the price. They are free riding and feel guilty about it so they make up that rationale to try and convince themselves this is some type of protest against the system.

This. It's funny how restaurant owners have succeeded in not only pinning it on customers to subsidize a server's wage so they can pay them a shit wage, but have been able to guilt the customer to do so as well.

Current server mentality: I didn't get a tip, that paying customer is cheap how am I going to pay my bills?

Proper server mentality: My boss doesn't pay me a livable wage, I should ask for a raise or find a better paying job.

I always find it humorous how the paying customer is expected to make up for the owner's cheapness. Nobody ever calls the owner cheap, just those who don't tip, or don't tip enough. For the record I always tip 15-20% assuming the service and food is acceptable. I just can't get over how servers put 100% of the blame on the customer and not the owner.
Your post is pure trash and ignorance.

If there was no tipping the restaurants simply raise the prices of the food and service and charge you and flow it through to the servers.

It does not cost the restaurant owner any more that way. If you, as a consumer today have a bill for $50 and a tip of 15% would add $7.50 for a total of $57.50 then without tipping the owner would charge $57.50 and just give the server the $7.50.

The only one who loses in that scenario is the customer who is FORCED to pay the same for service whether shit or fantastic.

Your post is pure trash and ignorance.

If there was no tipping the restaurants simply raise the prices of the food and service and charge you and flow it through to the servers.

It does not cost the restaurant owner any more that way. If you, as a consumer today have a bill for $50 and a tip of 15% would add $7.50 for a total of $57.50 then without tipping the owner would charge $57.50 and just give the server the $7.50.

The only one who loses in that scenario is the customer who is FORCED to pay the same for service whether shit or fantastic.

I don't believe you.

Baby Boomers are worse. They had everything and ruined it. Environment, labour movement, all of it. They spoiled their kids and now call them lazy annoying and stupid. It’s a crazy fucking generation.

I disagree. Then who were their parents? The greatest generation - which is just a myth. It’s not like everyone was a war vet like in Saving Private Ryan. There were stories of draft dodgers and a lot of men actually didn’t fight but worked in factories with women. The Greatest Generation raised their kids in prosperity post war. Millennials can be lazy and stupid and entitled. They blame their parents for leaving them with college loan debt, government debt, yet they seem to like to eat out. Their excuse is well we’re screwed over and won’t do better than our parents so why not enjoy wasting money while claiming they’re frugal. Car makers are afraid as millenials wont buy cars like their parents. They’re addicted to social media and like to blame their parents for the world’s ills. What about the Americans who fought in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan? There’s always whiners who won’t really do anything to make changes. What are the Millenials going to do for world peace, environment, poverty, etc? Nothing. Under LBJ, he pushed for war against poverty, there was the Civil Rights movement in the US, Peace Corp under JFK and they were accomplished by the Baby boomer generation. Don’t forget awesome music and films.

I can’t wait when their kids whine about them.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but Millennials poorer than previous generations.

Thank god we dont have this issue in Europe. You go to a restaurant.....you pay for your food and thats it. Not this awkward shit of people expecting to pay them

I don't believe you.
It is not a matter of belief. It is fact.

And in my discussions with other non tippers this is the biggest fallacy they believe and that is if tipping goes away prices will not go up. So they get the benefit of not tipping and not a correlating cost. it is a fantasy and fallacy. In the last thread I was in on tipping the TS only after pages of rants about why tipping should go away admitted he thought tipping should go away and the prices of meals should go down at the same time and until it did he was going to stick to counter service like Subway where tipping was not expected.

Fact is he is

Cite
In 2016, when the Danish restaurateur Claus Meyer opened his new-Nordic restaurant Agern inside New York City’s Grand Central Terminal, he decided that, in adherence to Danish tradition, the restaurant would not accept gratuities. Instead, Meyer set Agern’s prices high enough to be able to pay employees a living wage and provide them with benefits such as health insurance, matching 401(k)s, and paid parental leave—practices that are all but unheard of in the restaurant industry. Earlier this month, though, Meyer announced that Agern would abandon that so-called hospitality-included model in favor of a traditional tipping system, and that menu prices would decrease accordingly.

...Over the past five years, dozens of restaurants have experimented with alternatives, including the popular Seattle restaurants Dahlia Lounge and the Walrus and the Carpenter; Bar Agricole, in San Francisco; and eleven New York restaurants in Danny Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group. (A Reddit thread on the subject lists more than two hundred establishments in North America that do not currently accept tips.) In the past two years, though, many have quietly returned to accepting gratuities. The casual-dining chain Joe’s Crab Shack tried eliminating tipping at eighteen of its locations in 2015, only to restore the practice at fourteen of them half a year later. Bar Agricole has reinstated tipping, as have Le Pigeon and Little Bird, in Portland, Oregon. In New York, David Chang opened Momofuku Nishi as a gratuity-free establishment, in January, 2016, but by the time summer came around he had decided to accept tips. Tom Colicchio also experimented with a gratuity-included model during lunch services at Craft, but he gave it up after a year. Some restaurant owners have cited trouble attracting and retaining front-of-house staff as the reason for their change of course, but the most common explanation has been the same as Claus Meyer’s: losing tips meant losing business.

..Before 2013, only a few of America’s roughly three hundred thousand full-service restaurants included gratuity in the price of a meal, almost all of them very high-end establishments, such as the French Laundry, in Yountville, California, and Alinea, in Chicago. Tipping seemed like a natural, and inevitable, system for compensating service employees

---------------------

Cite

Joe’s Crab Shack was the first major restaurant chain to tinker with its model. The seafood chain, which has 130 locations, tested out a service-included model months before the New York restaurateur Danny Meyer created a media furor with the announcement that he would eventually banish tipping at all of his 13 restaurants and raise menu prices to cover the cost of service.

It is not a matter of belief. It is fact.

And in my discussions with other non tippers this is the biggest fallacy they believe and that is if tipping goes away prices will not go up. So they get the benefit of not tipping and not a correlating cost. it is a fantasy and fallacy. In the last thread I was in on tipping the TS only after pages of rants about why tipping should go away admitted he thought tipping should go away and the prices of meals should go down at the same time and until it did he was going to stick to counter service like Subway where tipping was not expected.

Fact is he is

Cite
In 2016, when the Danish restaurateur Claus Meyer opened his new-Nordic restaurant Agern inside New York City’s Grand Central Terminal, he decided that, in adherence to Danish tradition, the restaurant would not accept gratuities. Instead, Meyer set Agern’s prices high enough to be able to pay employees a living wage and provide them with benefits such as health insurance, matching 401(k)s, and paid parental leave—practices that are all but unheard of in the restaurant industry. Earlier this month, though, Meyer announced that Agern would abandon that so-called hospitality-included model in favor of a traditional tipping system, and that menu prices would decrease accordingly.

...Over the past five years, dozens of restaurants have experimented with alternatives, including the popular Seattle restaurants Dahlia Lounge and the Walrus and the Carpenter; Bar Agricole, in San Francisco; and eleven New York restaurants in Danny Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group. (A Reddit thread on the subject lists more than two hundred establishments in North America that do not currently accept tips.) In the past two years, though, many have quietly returned to accepting gratuities. The casual-dining chain Joe’s Crab Shack tried eliminating tipping at eighteen of its locations in 2015, only to restore the practice at fourteen of them half a year later. Bar Agricole has reinstated tipping, as have Le Pigeon and Little Bird, in Portland, Oregon. In New York, David Chang opened Momofuku Nishi as a gratuity-free establishment, in January, 2016, but by the time summer came around he had decided to accept tips. Tom Colicchio also experimented with a gratuity-included model during lunch services at Craft, but he gave it up after a year. Some restaurant owners have cited trouble attracting and retaining front-of-house staff as the reason for their change of course, but the most common explanation has been the same as Claus Meyer’s: losing tips meant losing business.

..Before 2013, only a few of America’s roughly three hundred thousand full-service restaurants included gratuity in the price of a meal, almost all of them very high-end establishments, such as the French Laundry, in Yountville, California, and Alinea, in Chicago. Tipping seemed like a natural, and inevitable, system for compensating service employees

---------------------

Cite

Joe’s Crab Shack was the first major restaurant chain to tinker with its model. The seafood chain, which has 130 locations, tested out a service-included model months before the New York restaurateur Danny Meyer created a media furor with the announcement that he would eventually banish tipping at all of his 13 restaurants and raise menu prices to cover the cost of service.

That's fine with me. I would rather pay the extra and not have to worry about satisfying an entitled waitress who is pretending to care about customers.

And i don't care if the tip is separate or included in the meal price. Whatever.

it is just fallacy to believe the consumer saves money in a no tipping environment. The tip is baked in and you pay it 100% of the time without discretion.

The big losers in a no tip environment are the really good servers and the consumers. If the worst server makes the same as the best, there simply is little incentive to push for exemplary service and you as a dinner cannot reward good service or reduce your tip for bad service. All a no tip environment does is reduce choice and create more of a union environment where everyone is paid the same regardless of quality or amount of work done.

That's fine with me. I would rather pay the extra and not have to worry about satisfying an entitled waitress who is pretending to care about customers.
When they set the prices higher you are satisfying ALL waitstaff regardless of service level. You are tipping even if you hate your service and the person didn't even care to pretend to care about customers.

When they set the prices higher you are satisfying ALL waitstaff regardless of service level. You are tipping even if you hate your service and the person didn't even care to pretend to care about customers.
That's fine. As long as my food is hot, and it's what I ordered then I'll pay the extra few bucks. If it's not, I will ask them to remake it or I will leave without paying.

A lot of millennials have low paying jobs and still live at home so not really surprised by this.

Back