Another Reason to Hate Millennials - Rated Worst Tippers

Funny story

went out to chilis the other night. Horrible service. Food was slow coming. one plate was luke warm, drink had something floating in it(before you say its because i dont tip this happened, this was in fact my first time there because we were traveling across the country).

so ya on a 60 dollar order they got shit.

so whats so funny is i parked in a spot that i could see my table(obviously not on purpose). so we get in the car and were getting ready to leave and we can see the server coming to our table and he picks up the receipt and puts his arms out like come at me bro. We started laughing so hard. There was another server there and you can see our server doing alot of hand movements and pointing, you know he was talking alot of shit because it was closing time and chili was almost empty. But the server happens to turn around and sees us all in our car laughing hysterically. ya he wasnt to happy,

So that is why I cannot see why you would be happier if you were forced to tip this service via it automatically being included in the bill?

the main way you register your lack of pleasure by that service and food is to withhold the tip. If it is baked in they automatically assume great food and great service each time.

That's fine. As long as my food is hot, and it's what I ordered then I'll pay the extra few bucks. If it's not, I will ask them to remake it or I will leave without paying.
Weird flowing logic (or lack thereof) that at first you did not think that the tipping price would be built in and then when I prove to you it would be you are ok tipping everyone but do not want discretion to tip or withhold based on service quality.

Truthfully I don't generally buy it. I believe most people who complain about tipping love the current situation which allows them to free ride. They know its not changing and they get cheaper meals and better service due to it. But when they stiff the waitstaff they wrap themselves in a shroud of 'i am fighting the unfair system by not tipping' instead of admitting they are cheap. I believe many have actually convinced themselves of that even though deep down they know its not true if they are forced to reflect.

it makes no sense to whine about tipping while saying I would be happier if i had to tip 100% of the time if built into prices.

A lot of millennials have low paying jobs and still live at home so not really surprised by this.
Agreed. And conversely they love to go out and buy the latest fad foods in the most trendy places like avocado toast, etc, which are not cheap.

So there desire to eat out and their availalble cash budget are not matching up so they take it out on the servers by with holding tips and then rationalizing it away.

Agreed. And conversely they love to go out and buy the latest fad foods in the most trendy places like avocado toast, etc, which are not cheap.

So there desire to eat out and their availalble cash budget are not matching up so they take it out on the servers by with holding tips and then rationalizing it away.

The servers are also millennials so it evens out

Weird flowing logic (or lack thereof) that at first you did not think that the tipping price would be built in and then when I prove to you it would be you are ok tipping everyone but do not want discretion to tip or withhold based on service quality.

Truthfully I don't generally buy it. I believe most people who complain about tipping love the current situation which allows them to free ride. They know its not changing and they get cheaper meals and better service due to it. But when they stiff the waitstaff they wrap themselves in a shroud of 'i am fighting the unfair system by not tipping' instead of admitting they are cheap. I believe many have actually convinced themselves of that even though deep down they know its not true if they are forced to reflect.

it makes no sense to whine about tipping while saying I would be happier if i had to tip 100% of the time if built into prices.
You didn't prove anything to me. My intent was that if they eliminated tipping and prices rose to compensate, I would prefer to just pay more as opposed to the hassle of tipping which is borderline charity. I have nothing against tipping, my beef with it is the people with the mentality that you need to tip, and at least 15-20 percent regardless of service level and food quality. It's all rooted in guilt, which to me is just sad. Just give me the food that I ask for, at the advertised price and that's good enough. Like they do in most other parts of the world.

You didn't prove anything to me. My intent was that if they eliminated tipping and prices rose to compensate, I would prefer to just pay more as opposed to the hassle of tipping which is borderline charity. I have nothing against tipping, my beef with it is the people with the mentality that you need to tip, and at least 15-20 percent regardless of service level and food quality. It's all rooted in guilt, which to me is just sad. Just give me the food that I ask for, at the advertised price and that's good enough. Like they do in most other parts of the world.
Calling discretionary tipping borderline charity while advocating for forced tipping (tip built into bill) which then is force charity is just asinine. It seems your main issue is you feel guilt when you get bad service and want to tip less. That is on you as you should absolutely only tip as per the service level as that is your main feedback to the server if they did a good job or not.

A lot of millennials have low paying jobs and still live at home so not really surprised by this.
maybe if they send more of their youth learning actual skills instead of obsessing over their looks, it wouldnt be that way

Calling discretionary tipping borderline charity while advocating for forced tipping (tip built into bill) which then is force charity is just asinine. It seems your main issue is you feel guilt when you get bad service and want to tip less. That is on you as you should absolutely only tip as per the service level as that is your main feedback to the server if they did a good job or not.
I feel no guilt on almost anything letalone a stupid tip at a restaurant. I just want to order food and have it brought to me, eat it, pay, and leave. I'm not poor, I'm not cheap. Why would I feel guilt for receiving bad service, and why would I feel guilt for wanting to tip less after receiving bad service?

There's a reason in most parts of the world they look at you funny for tipping. It's because they're paid enough where they don't have to embarrass themselves for a few extra dollars. Yes the food is a little more expensive and that's perfectly fine with me.

Your post is pure trash and ignorance.

If there was no tipping the restaurants simply raise the prices of the food and service and charge you and flow it through to the servers.

It does not cost the restaurant owner any more that way. If you, as a consumer today have a bill for $50 and a tip of 15% would add $7.50 for a total of $57.50 then without tipping the owner would charge $57.50 and just give the server the $7.50.

The only one who loses in that scenario is the customer who is FORCED to pay the same for service whether shit or fantastic.

You’re right for the most part. However, the incidence of the price increase would be shared by the owner and the customers. It would depend on the price elasticity of demand for that particular restaurant’s food. For the higher end restaurants, that would likely mean the owner would be hit harder than the lower end ones. But my guess is on average, since food is a necessity, that the consumer will pay the vast majority of that increase.

You’re right for the most part. However, the incidence of the price increase would be shared by the owner and the customers. It would depend on the price elasticity of demand for that particular restaurant’s food. For the higher end restaurants, that would likely mean the owner would be hit harder than the lower end ones. But my guess is on average, since food is a necessity, that the consumer will pay the vast majority of that increase.
i agree there will be some case by case managing but see my post 276 above with the quotes of the hundreds of restaurants who have tried and how mostly they just build the cost of tipping into the price.

if all do it and just add 15% across the board to eliminating tipping then there really is no elasticity issue.

Well, they haven't accumulated as much wealth at that point in their lives - as compared to the older generations - so that doesn't seem too surprising.

I bar tended in college and made a fortune. I tip. And have no issue doing so. It’s a system that guarantees the server will work hard for me. Believe me, the service drops when tipping isn’t a thing. As for Millenials, it’s not their fault they are broke entitled participation awarded snots. Their parents made them that way.
Yeaaa...i can't understand this. Maybe it's because im Japanese and have lived in Asia for so long, but you work hard because you want to keep your job, and you don't want to be a prick that gives shitty service.

I really dont get why people think they have to accept shit service as a default
If you are a shit server then you shouldn't have a server job

i agree there will be some case by case managing but see my post 276 above with the quotes of the hundreds of restaurants who have tried and how mostly they just build the cost of tipping into the price.

if all do it and just add 15% across the board to eliminating tipping then there really is no elasticity issue.

Most have added 20% or more.

When I used to haul rock for a living it was a non tipping industry and I still would do enough to be handed $20-100 per load I dumped. If you're not getting tipped, you suck at your job and as a person.

Similar to most increases in cost to the provider, the cost is passed on to the consumer a bit higher. The restaurant does not want to take a loss due to this. That's why you see most restaurants have increased at higher than 20%.

My industry is hit by regulations all of the time. These regulations cost us X amount of dollars, and we pass it on the the consumer and pad it a bit. The margins are so slim at restaurants that most can't take the hit.

So that is why I cannot see why you would be happier if you were forced to tip this service via it automatically being included in the bill?

the main way you register your lack of pleasure by that service and food is to withhold the tip. If it is baked in they automatically assume great food and great service each time.
But you're only thinking of this as a one time thing.
I'll take the loss on that one time tip, but if a place gives me bad service then i just don't go back. They lose any money i would've spent there forever. That's the main way i register my dissatisfaction.

Yeaaa...i can't understand this. Maybe it's because im Japanese and have lived in Asia for so long, but you work hard because you want to keep your job, and you don't want to be a prick that gives shitty service.

I really dont get why people think they have to accept shit service as a default
If you are a shit server then you shouldn't have a server job

Well it’s like a lot of jobs. It’s not career type of work so it will be mediocre pay at best. That leads to lack of motivation. Why would you be excited and go the extra mile when you are compensated poorly? Service jobs suck to begin with. BUT if you can make good cash, that isn’t taxed....then you will hustle and do a great job.

Well it’s like a lot of jobs. It’s not career type of work so it will be mediocre pay at best. That leads to lack of motivation. Why would you be excited and go the extra mile when you are compensated poorly? Service jobs suck to begin with. BUT if you can make good cash, that isn’t taxed....then you will hustle and do a great job.
I guess it's a cultural thing. I did high school and some university in the states, but all other living abroad.
You do your job because it's your job.
If you don't do it then you dont have a job. Im honestly kind of surprised that more Americans don't have this opinion.

I get that there is a point where the pay doesn't equal the effort or shit you're given, but a smile and prompt service doesn't sound like a crazy ask to me.
What is the incentive for a customer to go to a restaurant with shit service? It's not like there's a shortage of restaurants

And no offense to anyone here, but 'professional server' seems like it should be only for a select few. You shouldn't expect to make as much as an engineer while you're working as a server at Outback Steakhouse imo

Well, they haven't accumulated as much wealth at that point in their lives - as compared to the older generations - so that doesn't seem too surprising.

they cant accumulate when they are spending more than they earn. silly that they complain about being broke, yet are the first ones to get the newest iphones, get ink and faking it to make it on FB/IG. they could be using that money to acquire skills..... but they feel they dont need to since they got 60k in student loans for a useless degree and deserve more

But you're only thinking of this as a one time thing.
I'll take the loss on that one time tip, but if a place gives me bad service then i just don't go back. They lose any money i would've spent there forever. That's the main way i register my dissatisfaction.
No. While I agree and would do the same and not go back to a crap restaurant, over a life time you may visit many crap restaurants or servers.

The ONLY real way (short of complaining to management) to let a server know they did a poor job is by tipping less. Rarely would I suggest zero as they will just assume you are a no tipping asshole and it was not them. But if you give them 10% or 5% that is a statement. I would even say something as I was paying the bill that I was not that happy with my visit or the service this time.

If everyone gets tipped regardless then even the bad servers think they are doing good and are less likely to work on skills to improve the experience.

Back