Another McGregor Teammate Chris Van Heerden Turns Snitch, Says He Doesn’t Hit That Hard | Page 5

Discussion in 'Conor McGregor vs Mayweather Discussion' started by Bumblebeef, Jan 11, 2018.

1. mkhnghn White Belt

mkhnghn
    What supports this view? There are tons of guys in MMA with world class striking and pretty damn good TDD and submission defense. Learning take down defense "along the way" will not keep you from getting taken down by someone like Khabib. Abel Trujillo is a lifelong wrestler, HS state champion and 4x NAIA All American and Khabib took him down 21 times.

2. UL But my friends call me Mystic UL

UL
    nah

you're a casual because you think conor surviving 10 rounds meant something... when the fighter he was fighting sat back for half the fight and smiling at the camera

hillelslovak87 and vadrigar like this.
  3. rurouni Brown Belt

rurouni
    dont confuse me w the facts

4. n.diazismylife1999 Black Belt

n.diazismylife1999
    How would Van Heerden know? They were doing 10% light sparring.

5. mkhnghn White Belt

mkhnghn
    I think what people are referring to is the "if he touches you, youre done" narrative that was pushed leading up to the Floyd fight. Connor hits hard, I don't think anyone denies that he has the ability to knock people out, but a lot of his success is due to a combination of accuracy, speed, timing and power. All Van Heerden is denying is that Connor doesn't have any kind of raw power that he hasn't felt before. If Conor's 4oz power is really so out of this world, it would relatively translate to 16oz gloves as well and Van Heerden would be able to feel it.

The whole "Floyd has never felt power like Connor's" thing was a joke all along.

6. chefa Orange Belt

chefa
    I will address your points in order.

1: we have different definitions of getting clowned clearly. I consider someone getting clowned watching it and knowing they are so far out of their depth they could never win.

2: I never expected him to win in fact I bet heavily on Floyd but I am not the one using his 10 rounds as some defence I am saying it was not as impressive as people are claiming saying he did better than manny etc. Conor only looked good at all because Floyd let him. This is easy to see as Floyd fought in a way to be more crowd pleasing for his last fight, because he had zero fear of losing. He also bet on himself to win in the exact way he did.

3: I am not claiming boxers would beat him in any other style of fighting but they are not stupid, they are different sports. Conor cashed in on an opportunity, Floyd made him look good because it made Floyd a lot of money. It was not some act of bravery to go box when he is getting 100 mil.

4: Floyd was about to KO Conor the ref just saved him from more damage but I agree he should have let it go so I will concede that point to you.

5: Kickboxers or other boxers for that matter would make a point of hurting Conor as you say they would KO him early because they would have no incentive not to. They would just want to make an example of him, the money would not be the same. Floyd did not do this for multiple reasons, first being its not his style, floyd is not a 1 hiter quitter. second he wanted to put on a show so this did not turn into a stinker like the Manny fight on the off chance he does fight again he wanted the fans to see a fun fight so that they would tune in again if he fought. The better the fight the more people want to see you next time without needing a marquee opponent.

6: I do not feel the need to resort to insults to make my points, nor am I a fanboy of any kind I both defend and critique all fighters the same. Conor has his good points he has his bad points. Personally I am not a fan but even my fav fighters I will not be blinded as to not point out failures.

edit for addition - I missed one, I have no infatuation with the Boxing I was simply refuting your claims of him doing well because he went 10 rounds

or saying the footage of him vs paulie meant anything when he only releases the parts he looks good in.

7. vadrigar Orange Belt

vadrigar
    [​IMG]

8. Obiwan Blue Belt

Obiwan
    Sean Sherk is the best example of this, in my opinion.

9. Obiwan Blue Belt

Obiwan
    Eddie vs. Conor! The funny thing is, before that fight I thought Eddie was going to take Conor down and GNP him to a dominant finish!

chefa likes this.
  10. chefa Orange Belt

chefa
    I thought Eddie would fight a far smarter fight and use his wrestling more effectively as well, but he came out with a striking mindset and got starched and could never recover.

11. tdluxon Black Belt

tdluxon
    Khabib was a top level grappler years before he tried MMA, since he was a little kid. He's a grappler who transitioned to mma, Conor is an mma fighter trying to dabble in boxing

Bumblebeef and Fedor>Cain like this.
  12. Fedor>Cain K1 Level Shit Talk

Fedor>Cain

Lol "world class strikers" are not muay Thai fighters and kickboxers. The talent polls for those sports are non existent.

MMA is not full of world class strikers what so ever.

13. Fedor>Cain K1 Level Shit Talk

Fedor>Cain
    I jacked it from a Reddit thread today lol

14. Bumblebeef Purple Belt

Bumblebeef

Conor doesnt have a average striking defense, just look at his stats... around 55%. Why these Conor fans doesnt want to see that? You write like hes a Mayweather in the Octagon that never gets hit. He got hit by that sloppy boxing from Diaz alot. I dont understand why all these Conor superduperfans try to make out of him a counterboxer like a Mayweather.

15. rurouni Brown Belt

rurouni
    early stoppage brah...that wasnt even a tap

16. DysDave Blue Belt

DysDave
    It legitimately blows my mind people still don't comprehend the difference between MMA striking and boxing. Also the difference between MMA wrestling and wrestling.

In MMA, DC was outwrestled by Jones. This wasn't because Jones is a better wrestler- he's demonstrably worse, Cormier has all the credentials. If they had a direct match on a wrestling mat, I would bet on DC to win 90% of the time. But when elbows and knees are involved, the grappling involved in MMA is completely different, and Jones has clearly got a level above DC on that.

It's exactly the same for striking. Boxing has large padded gloves for defence, no need to defend kicks/elbows/knees/takedowns. You can use the gloves to deflect punches, meaning you can keep yourself quite compact and ready to strike, whilst also having defence ready. In MMA it's a totally different game, you can't defend yourself by keeping your hands up by your head or you're open to everything else. By definition MMA HAS to be more open and wild.

Boxers also dedicate everything to the miniscule details that make them perfect at their discipline, to the detriment of all the other disciplines. What you're suggesting is akin to saying that Usain Bolt, because he's such a phenomenal sprinter, could just train heptathlons for a few years and beat the whole field. Just because he excels so much at one discipline, does not by any stretch mean he can master all the others.

Put Floyd in a striking only match, with MMA gloves in the Octagon. Conor would make him look silly, because they're in his world now. Even without kicks or takedowns he could annihilate Floyd with clinch elbows and strikes that he just isn't used to in boxing. He couldn't pull shit like turning his back and playing the boxing game, because it wouldn't work in MMA.

And finally, if you think MMA athletes are so godawful, why in THE NAME OF FUCK DO YOU POST ON AN MMA BOARD? LOL

17. ShreddinMMA Gold Belt

ShreddinMMA
    Define "novice" boxer.

18. Underdog bjj jp Brown Belt

Underdog bjj jp
    you hear that guys he's not a boxer , he's a boxer boxer

19. JayE Brown Belt

JayE
    McGregor isn't a good puncher relative to WWs in boxing. Relative to guys his size (MWs), he's a downright poor puncher. Do people think he hits anywhere near as hard as guys like Golovkin, Jacobs, Lemieux, Charlo, Stevens, or Canelo? Those are good punchers (hell, Canelo and Charlo aren't even more than above average punchers and they hit drastically harder than a guy like Mcgregor).

Phisher likes this.
  20. Phisher Red Belt

Phisher

Comparing Conor's punching to elite boxers who are actually the same size is laughable.

He doesn't even hit as hard as someone like Billy Joe Saunders.

...and for the people who think that it was impressive that he made it to the tenth with Mayweather, I doubt that he'd go half as long with Saunders.

JayE likes this.