Another former HW Champ adds his voice to criticism of USADA

Ghost in the Dark

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/...cusses-unique-lengthy-usada-sanctions-process

Junior dos Santos formally accepted a six-month suspension from the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) on Monday, finally concluding the worst eight-month span of his career.

Dos Santos, 34, tested positive for a banned diuretic on Aug. 10, which carries a potential one-year suspension under the UFC's anti-doping program. The sanction was reduced, after dos Santos proved the test was caused by a legal tainted supplement.

The suspension is retroactive to the date of dos Santos' failed test, meaning it actually expired in February. Due to several factors in this case, however, the sanctioning process took longer than the suspension itself -- which dos Santos admits is frustrating.

"I am not a cheater. Since the first day we found out about this, we have cooperated with USADA and done everything they've asked or suggested to prove this was not intentional doping. It's taken a really long time.

We want to know the real results of fights, but in a case like this, with a diuretic, I think they should have allowed me to continue my life until they proved it was my fault. If they prove that, they can do whatever they want. But if I prove I'm innocent, I'm here for almost nine months, doing nothing with my life. I want to keep fighting for a long time, but I don't have any time to lose.

Junior-Dos-Santos.jpg

I was happy when those results came back, because I thought it was done. They would see it's not my fault and I could resume fighting. But then, they started to say other things, like maybe I could have contaminated them on purpose. I said, 'My God, I'm not a chemist.

When they found my supplements were contaminated, it was already four months. Now it's been another four months for them to figure the rest out, and finally find the truth.

I think USADA needs to consider what substance they find," dos Santos said. "If it is not a very bad drug, they shouldn't pull you from a fight. If they haven't proved it is your fault, they shouldn't pull you.

If I am guilty, do whatever you want to me. But I knew they wouldn't do that, because I am not a cheater. It's been hard. You are considered guilty before being judged."

///

Josh Barnett has recently commented on a similar situation.

josh-barnett-ufc-168.jpg

///

Seems to me like basically they were guilty but they had already spent so much time unable to fight that they didn't end up getting officially punished. If you think that's wrong I'd be happy to be corrected. Maybe the watchdog has been getting over aggressive and spoiling the profits.

Jeff-Novitzky2.jpg

dana-white-money.jpg

If this were the case Jones would be smoking people still with his roids. It's nice in theory but this process seems to take too long for people to be allowed to fight if they are in fact cheating. How about they make the process take less then a year.

Diuretic JDS vs 7-keto Machida for the USADA belt.

But nah, it's bullshit.

It's interesting that in other sports when you appeal a suspension, you get to keep playing until a final ruling is made. It's trickier when it comes to fighting though, cause if you let them keep fighting and it turns out they were intentionally juicing, you're putting other fighter's health at risk. It's a tough problem without a great solution.

Well thats just a risk you run when you take supplements. Either accept that risk or don't take them.

The guy dodged a bullet and needs to shut up and get on with it.

"If we test positive but its not a very serious substance we shouldnt be pulled from our fight"

um... thats really not how drug tests work..

He is guilty of drugs in his system so there is no reason to not pulled him from the fight what need to be proven is if it was intentional or not

USADA is a terrorist organization. fuck them

i'm going to give him the benefit of doubt here since english isn't his first language.

but he was proven guilty when he failed his test. there's nothing left for them to prove, if he believes he was popped due to a contaminated supplement, it's his responsibility to prove it.

Should be innocent until proven guilty.
A positive test is indicitave of guilt, no?

I'm glad JDS is back and all, but don't pretend they didn't have a good reason to suspend him.

Or would you prefer cheaters be allowed to keep fighting until they find a video of someone injecting steroids?

Come on now.

It's over and done with. Give the man a fight, so JDS can shut his mouth and get back to business.

His return actually does make a big impact on the HW divsion and matches that can be made in the top 10, so let's go.

Back