Another former HW Champ adds his voice to criticism of USADA

Fighters are made aware of banned substances. The burden is and should be on the fighter to know what they put in their bodies.

It's interesting that in other sports when you appeal a suspension, you get to keep playing until a final ruling is made.

it varies.

for instance, if you test positive in the middle of a multi stage cycling race you are pulled from the race

in track and field if you test positive out of comp you will generally be pulled from competition, but its not made public, so people dont know youve been pulled because of a positive test.

but the vast majority of sports you are pulled from competition after a positive test, but because it is not made public people dont know that people have popped..

Fighters are made aware of banned substances. The burden is and should be on the fighter to know what they put in their bodies.

True, but in cases where supplements are tainted, it's not as black and white. The only way a fighter could truly avoid any chance of ingesting a tainted supplement would be to have each individual batch sent in and tested. And I'm guessing that's not exactly cheap to do.

No. If you piss hot, you are guilty and you need to prove your innocence.

I can't profess to truly know enough about the process; however, something clearly isn't working. There have been enough incidents of tainted supplements now to warrant a review of the current USADA protocol.

Last edited:
True, but in cases where supplements are tainted, it's not as black and white. The only way a fighter could truly avoid any chance of ingesting a tainted supplement would be to have each individual batch sent in and tested. And I'm guessing that's not exactly cheap to do.
I agree, but to me it is a risk versus reward scenario with a very big risk. I think there are companies out there with guarantees against contaminates. If I wasn't 100% about my supplements as a fighter I doubt I'd take the chance.

it varies.

for instance, if you test positive in the middle of a multi stage cycling race you are pulled from the race

in track and field if you test positive out of comp you will generally be pulled from competition, but its not made public, so people dont know youve been pulled because of a positive test.

but the vast majority of sports you are pulled from competition after a positive test, but because it is not made public people dont know that people have popped..

Sounds like people would be able to figure out why you suddenly dropped out lol.

Innocent until proven guilty has become a hard concept for some people to understand in this day and age. Especially when we live in a world where a simple accusation with no evidence or proof can destroy a person.

I believe JDS, I don't think he's a cheat and USADA screwed him out of almost a year of his career. Nobody ever seems to look at the repurcussions fighters (especially innocent ones) have after not being able to fight for a year. This is their livelihood, what alot do to live and survive. I don't agree with USADA being able to just take away a year of a mans career over essentially nothing. Especially when they're very inconsistent with the punishment. Jones gets a year for something used to cover steroid use, but Machida 18 months for something you buy OTC in Walgreens that in no way shape or form can improve performance? Lol.

Can't USADA give a list of their approved suppliers that they themselves know for sure have clean facilities for clean supplements?

Do they do that?

If so, fighters should just stick to those. That way since they are approved by USADA, it should be easier for USADA to track them down in case this happens again to another fighter since USADA would have that relationship already with those suppliers.

Don't take the supplements then

Why are you acting like its so hard

Innocent until proven guilty has become a hard concept for some people to understand in this day and age. Especially when we live in a world where a simple accusation with no evidence or proof can destroy a person.

I believe JDS, I don't think he's a cheat and USADA screwed him out of almost a year of his career. Nobody ever seems to look at the repurcussions fighters (especially innocent ones) have after not being able to fight for a year. This is their livelihood, what alot do to live and survive. I don't agree with USADA being able to just take away a year of a mans career over essentially nothing. Especially when they're very inconsistent with the punishment. Jones gets a year for something used to cover steroid use, but Machida 18 months for something you buy OTC in Walgreens that in no way shape or form can improve performance? Lol.

'Tested positive' has become a hard concept for some people to understand in this day and age.

FotorCreated-22.jpg

Mark-Hunt-Junior-Dos-Santos.png

Can't USADA give a list of their approved suppliers that they themselves know for sure have clean facilities for clean supplements?

Do they do that?

If so, fighters should just stick to those. That way since they are approved by USADA, it should be easier for USADA to track them down in case this happens again to another fighter since USADA would have that relationship already with those suppliers.

Everyone is acting like all these cheaters really are just unfortunately taking tainted supplements like the supplement makers let them down lol.

Should be innocent until proven guilty.

He was guilty, he was caught with a banned substance in his system, he still received a 6 month suspension.

Just sad to see JDS is too dumb to understand that he's responsible for what goes into his system, at this level and wkth USADA if your going to risk taking a supplement you better get that supplement indepentaly checked to ensure it' not tainted.

To bad he's too dumb to understand that the tainted supplement excuse doesn't prove your innocent. Just because you purchase a supplement that has been tainted doesn't give you a free pass to cheat.

Don't take the supplements then

Why are you acting like its so hard

Why are you acting like its the fault of the person who ingested something that wasn't listed in the ingredients?

I would bet money that 98% of fighters on supplements of some sort.

it varies.

It would be much much appreciated if you made a thread about the NFL and NBA drug testing policy. I’m curious.

USADA is a mess but don't take stuff unless you know exactly what is in it and aren't buying it from some place that isn't controlled.

Why did you include Barnett in this thread? He's a proven cheater. I like him, but he takes PEDs. The only ones criticizing USADA are guys that get caught and fight fans that wants PEDs to be allowed. I think a majority is on PEDs so I won't get butthurt if a fighter of mine gets caught, but it is disappointing when they don't own up to their mistakes (of getting caught). I'm guessing that JDS' physique will look quite different in the future.

Sounds like people would be able to figure out why you suddenly dropped out lol.

nah..

theres hundreds of thousands of track athletes.. they are always changing plans, getting injured etc..

one athlete dropping out of a race goes pretty much unnoticed..

UFC is one of the few that announces as soon as they are informed, but, MMA is so small, that it would be impossible to keep it quiet anyway.

As soon as someone pulled out of a fight people WOULD notice and start speculating

Do they do that?

no

but there are groups like informed-choice.org that do, and have hundreds and hundreds of batch tested verfied products certified with their logos

http://informed-choice.org/certified-product-brands

Click on each brand to see what produts are batch tested. literally hundreds, including every product produced by teh WME owned official UFC supplement sponsor "performance inspired"

b2c2792d-b971-4de7-9065-0accd0d390c9.png

Last edited:
Back