Anger

I think we all go through spurts of having a short fuse or becoming angry faster than normal.

Back in my 20's I was usually pretty short tempered about the smallest of things . . . now in my 40's I don't do that near as much thankfully. It still happens, but not all of the time like before.

I have major anger issues but find lashing myself with a cat o' nine tails soaked in vinegar until I pass out with the pain usually helps to temporarily banish my demons. Long term fix? I'm afraid I can't help you there.

I had anger issues when I was a young lad, but I learned to recognize my triggers, and focus on how to make those triggers seem inconsequential. You must know yourself first, and then work on how to push aside those feelings hat which do more harm than good. Therapist might help too. Just unload all the crap you have been carrying on someone who doesn't really matter

Last edited:
Usually I'm the most laid back, chilled and friendly guy you'll ever meet.

However towards the end of last year I started a 12 week course of test 400 and tritren 150. As soon as the course started people said my attitude changed - for the worse. I was a brooding bulk of anger and bitterness.

Sure I put on 1stone of pure beef, was tearing up the gym but something inside me was changing. 8 weeks into the course I snapped.

Someone was trying to stop me from getting in my car in a heated argument. They jumped into the driver seat and held onto the wheel. BIG MISTAKE. I ragdolled said perpetrator from the arm, tearing their pectoral muscle and rupturing their shoulder muscles. Someone came up behind me and the expression on my face stopped them dead in their tracks - panic stricken. At the time I was 18 1/2 stone and I'm 6'2 with a lot of experience in BJJ and MT.

After I got said person out of the car I jumped in, their friend then pulled their car in front of mine as I was driving off to try and stop me. Well that didn't work, I just rammed my car straight into them in a fit of rage. By this point I was a lunatic, jumped out of my car ready to crack skulls when the police arrived.

It was all very surreal. Suffice to say, I gave up on the tritren..........but carried on with the test. Now, I'm back to my chilled out self but it's amazing how badly I lost it. If I had've started cracking heads I'm not sure what would have stopped me as the anger and hatred was so overwhelming.

Just laugh at life.
I used to be pretty bitter but now I don't really care, at all.
I don't know how to get to that state of mind, maybe it is just a question about not thinking too far ahead.

I use three things to deal with anger:

1) Understanding my limitations. I was a skinny little shit as a kid but could never admit I was wrong or back down from a fair one. Eventually, I joined the wrestling team and guess what? I was getting beat. Getting mad didn't make me strong or scary enough to beat anyone. If anything, it just made me predictable and stubborn and therefore easier to beat.

2) An extension of that is the perspective from a rather unlikely guru: Rob Zombie. Read an interview with him explaining how he used to get angry all the time. Then, one day, he was in L.A. traffic. At a standstill, he was bristling with anger when, all of a sudden, it came to him: It's not that bad. "I'm stuck in traffic. So what? I've got air conditioning. I've got music. It's like a disco in here." I remembered this out of the blue on Broome St trying to get into the outbound Holland Tunnel.

3) I find the Christian/Buddhist mentality appealing in regards to dealing with things with utility. "What does this accomplish? Short term? Long term?" WWJD? If he is struck on the cheek in insult, he turns his cheek. If the institution in which he has dedicated himself is desecrated by dice games, he flips the table over and drives the offenders out with a whip.

i don't see myself as angry,but my friends wife said I'm the angriest person she ever met. the fucking bitch.

I'm not fast to anger but I know that once I get there it's not a good thing, real anger not just annoyed.

I don't yell or talk much at that point and know I can become very cold and brutal with a complete disregard for the other person.

I try to avoid this state of mind as even if legal I could get away with it it's better not to go there if possible.

That's from experience at getting there more then once when I was younger.

Learn to walk away or channel it to something that helps.

Right here. I have the shortest fuse, I have to focus on not snapping. I've gotten better with it over the years. Best way for me to keep it in check is to remind myself of the consequences of letting my anger rule me.

And hit the gym like a maniac.

So....would you say that you check yourself before you wreck yourself?

I get angry when I'm driving. I play music I can sing to. That calms me down.

Who else has a hard time dealing with their anger? Or who feels like they are more angry than the normal person?

Over the past few years my anger has slowly gotten out of control. I dont lash out but i can be extremely passive aggresive and in hindsight i can be pretty self destructive. Usually as a result of some deep rooted anger/hate/anxiety.

Im 25 btw, sometimes it can be pretty embarrassing how ridiculous it is. Its manifested itself in all sorts of ways and ive coped with hard drugs (only smoke weed now like a bad habit) and ruined many relationships because of it.

Anyways i write this because i know im not the only one, especially on a mma forum. Does anyone have any tips or stories dealing with excess negative energy? Fuckin let it out, you may help me or some other piss poor guy like me out!

If you made it to 25 before the world pissed you off then you are doing far better than this fella.

Anger is the one emotion I have almost complete mastery over. It took me almost a decade of noticing and analyzing the feeling to come to terms with it. Im now able to take anger that rises naturally and immediately transmute it to something else. The moment of epiphany for me was the day I decided "I forgive". That also is usually how I deal with anger by transferring the energy of it, and its a powerful one, into something else. Forgivness is most effective for me but it can be turned into most anything, sadness, determination etc. You name it, it can become that. Also helps to realize that all emotion on the most basic level is merely electrical signals. Slightly more complicated a transfer of energy, cause and effect. Find cause, change effect.
Another thing I occasionally do is think of emotion in abstract terms. Anger obviously is fire. So if youre mad literally think of it as a raging inferno that you need to bring to embers and ash.

I've had anger problems since I was a kid, pretty bad, I've somewhat managed to control it over the years. Almost got into it with my dad once because of it, but he was drunk and saying stupid shit with his friends, so of course that set me off, but that's a story for another thread.

Anyway, I haven't really dealt with it in unhealthy ways like hard drugs or anything, I usually just keep to myself and let it subside over time, I am also very passive aggressive when I'm in a bad mood and simple things like for example people not hearing what I have to say and having to repeat myself more than twice or people not understanding what I mean usually escalates my mood.

Sex and/or fapping is a good way to keep me chill, activities help too, find what you're good at or like to do and do it when you're angry to calm down. For me personally I love martial arts so I can do a bit of shadow boxing, throw some kicks, hit a heavy bag...etc. all help release the anger and frustration. I also love art and am pretty good at drawing, so drawing helps calm the mind, the anger can even be used as inspiration to draw something cool. Find what you enjoy and do it to calm yourself.

Though I do want to add that I never want to get rid of my anger completely, it has given me strength in situations, it has gotten me out of trouble and won me many fights.

Figure out why you're angry. Most of the time a male is angry when he hasn't accomplished shit and feels it. People feel angry when they feel helpless, not up to par et cetera. Get a goal, work towards it, get confidence in yourself and your abilities.

And for chrissake go to a gym regularly.

Go into mosh pits at death metal concerts. It'll help, i promise.

Back