Anderson Silva has only lost 4 times in his career -WITHOUT controversy

Thuckey

I swear to drunk.. I'm not God.
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Strange thing I noticed while looking over his wiki page, and just thinking about all his losses.

Then realized that loss and controversy go hand in hand with this guy.

One could argue that only 4 of his defeats, 1 in the UFC (Cormier fight) were WITHOUT some sort of controversy. Now I am not saying that he should have won those fights, but they were under strange circumstances each time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_Silva

What do you guys think? For a guy that has 8 losses, half of them were strange fights.

A loss is a loss man

Yes of course not saying that they weren't, its just crazy how half of his losses were very unique situations and not in a traditional type of way.

But then again, many of his fights are just strange and unique. Something about him that just no other fighter brings..

SilvaWeidmanKO.gif

I think the Ryo Chonan bout was the most definitive.

In my opinion Anderson was in his prime during that fight (coming off Lee Murray), plus he'd already learned his lesson from Daiju Takase, and on top of that was losing the bout before the heel hook occurred.

Luiz was too early, Okami was a strange DQ which he avenged later, the two Weidman bouts were clear enough but still a little odd. Everything after he broke his leg, took a year off, and turned 40-42 I don't count.

1st loss vs Luiz Azeredo
Lost a decision, was only his 3rd fight so honestly doesn't mean much. No controversy.

2nd loss vs Daiju Takase
Tapped out in the first round. No controversy.

3rd loss vs Ryo Chonan
Somewhat even fight until the flying scissor heel hook of doom. No controversy.

4th loss vs Yushin Okami
Blatant upkick to the face while Yushin was grounded, Silva was justly DQ'ed. No controversy.

5th loss vs Chris Weidman
Weidman wins the first round, Anderson starting to take over until he taunts and gets caught. No controversy.

6th loss vs Chris Weidman
Weidman has a dominant first round, Silva looking a bit better in the 2nd then snaps his leg off of a checked kick. This barely ever happens, and even if the end result wasn't flukey, the how was. Controversy here.

7th loss vs Michael Bisping
Bisping wins first two rounds. Was winning the 3rd until the knee at the bell. Bisping comes out and wins the 4th and drops the fifth, leaving Bisping up 3-2. If Anderson didn't spend two minutes celebrating after the knee, or came out hard the 4th round he would've won, but he didn't. No controversy.

8th loss vs Daniel Cormier
Took a fight against the 205lbs champion on 3 days notice and didn't get finished and hurt DC at one point, but still lost. No controversy.

I count 1/8 TS.

Silvas early fights before UFC were insane.. the guy was a damned buzz saw. His later UFC fights he was slowed down, but adapted his style by being more of a counter striker type dude.. less aggressive but still awesome technique and able to explode for short periods of time.

It's sad to see him loss his abilities - but damn if he held on for as long as possible before age started to really show.

the Weidman fights are only controversial if you're a fanboy Weidman won almost every second of both fights

and the Bisping fight isn't controversial Bisping picked him apart the whole fight and took a knee that for some reason people think mean Silva won the other rounds even though the next round Bisping went right back to winning

Controversial or not, it really is a matter of opinion.

But you have to admit, his fights with Weidman, Bisping and Yushin 1 were odd ways to loss.

1st loss vs Luiz Azeredo
Lost a decision, was only his 3rd fight so honestly doesn't mean much. No controversy.

2nd loss vs Daiju Takase
Tapped out in the first round. No controversy.

3rd loss vs Ryo Chonan
Somewhat even fight until the flying scissor heel hook of doom. No controversy.

4th loss vs Yushin Okami
Blatant upkick to the face while Yushin was grounded, Silva was justly DQ'ed. No controversy.

5th loss vs Chris Weidman
Weidman wins the first round, Anderson starting to take over until he taunts and gets caught. No controversy.

6th loss vs Chris Weidman
Weidman has a dominant first round, Silva looking a bit better in the 2nd then snaps his leg off of a checked kick. This barely ever happens, and even if the end result wasn't flukey, the how was. Controversy here.

7th loss vs Michael Bisping
Bisping wins first two rounds. Was winning the 3rd until the knee at the bell. Bisping comes out and wins the 4th and drops the fifth, leaving Bisping up 3-2. If Anderson didn't spend two minutes celebrating after the knee, or came out hard the 4th round he would've won, but he didn't. No controversy.

8th loss vs Daniel Cormier
Took a fight against the 205lbs champion on 3 days notice and didn't get finished and hurt DC at one point, but still lost. No controversy.

I count 1/8 TS.

you counted wrong.
Youshi was a BS loss.
Weidman - both fights were "strange" (no one is saying he'd win, but had an odd ending to it).
Bisping - if this was SIlva during his reign, it would have ben a sure DQ. But Silva was not the same and not the champ, so they didn't end that fight. - controversy here.

That's 4 total. I agree with TS.

note: Not talking about Machida & Rua 1 type of controversy, just "not your typical way to win/lose a fight".

I agree. 4 of those losses could leave you asking "was his opponent actually better than him, or was it a fluke/bad decision?"

How is getting KO'ed by a clean left hook controversial? How is losing via breaking your shin on a checked kick controversial?

Only controversial if you were blinded by your love of Anderson Silva.

Not sure TS understands what controversy means.

I always thought Anderson wanted a way out of that Okami fight @ rumble on the rock , he was very frustrated, he is a sly one remember.

TS look at most of his wins and you will see the exact same thing. D'uh, its the way he wins and loses. No different except when it does not work it is called controversial. When he wins doing it its called the Matrix or 'doing stuff no other fighter is doing in the cage';.

Considering he was loaded to the gills with anabolic steroids I'd say all his wins are controversial as well ;)

Back