Matty da Ranga

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anderson = 78% takedown accuracy
GSP = 74% takedown accuracy

Anderson = 63% striking accuracy
GSP = 53% striking accuracy

The thing I was most surprised by was the fact that there isn't a huge difference in their takedown defense percentage, despite opponents shooting on Anderson far more frequently and desperately because he so dangerous on the feet, plus it was part of their gameplans as well.

Anderson = 69% takedown defense
GSP = 83% takedown defense

Hmmmm

upload_2018-6-26_13-44-4.jpeg

So Anderson attempted a takedown?

Anderson wouldn’t be able to defend gsps takedowns.

Only reason he defended Chaels takedowns in the second fight was because he was illegally holding on to Chaels shorts for dear life.

The thing I was most surprised by was the fact that there isn't a huge difference in their takedown defense percentage, despite opponents shooting on Anderson far more frequently and desperately because he so dangerous on the feet, plus it was part of their gameplans as well.

Hmmmm

View attachment 397961
Not too shocked by these numbers, Anderson’s opponents wouldn’t be too focused on shutting down takedowns and that takedown defense difference is pretty huge tbh fam

Not too shocked by these numbers, Anderson’s opponents wouldn’t be too focused on shutting down takedowns and that takedown defense difference is pretty huge tbh fam
The difference between GSP and Anderson is less than the difference between Aldo and Cro Cop (two guys with great TDD) so I think it's a bit subjective and circumstantial.

Anderson in his prime was a 10X more lethal striker than GSP so opponents also had more reason to shoot takedowns on him and incorporate that into their gameplans.

Obviously a ridiculous comparison, come on. Silva landed 3 takedowns in his entire UFC career. GSP landed 83.

Your Fightmetric stats rely on 18 additional fights of Silva's before he came to the UFC, and only 6 more outside the UFC for GSP.

Obviously an ridiculous comparison, come on. Silva landed 3 takedowns in his entire UFC career. GSP landed 83.
He did more damage with those 3 takedowns than GSP did with his 83 tbh

Silva for sure a more deadly gnp than GSP.
1.gif

Hmmmm

View attachment 397961

You are brave to put a pic of yourself in the thread. A lot of times people will use that against you.

The thing im most suprised about is how irrelevant these numbers are

Things I learned from UFC commentary: Anderson Silva's TDD was second only to Brad Tavares, the fine Hawaiian....

Nerds and numbers.

Fighting is chaos. Numbers always lie

On top of what was mentioned about quantity, you have to take a look at the level of competition.

GSP faced a string of NCAA champions, and Div 1 all-American wrestlers, and BJJ champions:

Hell, even Serra, who is considered a 'joke matchup' from GSP's resume, is actually an ADCC silver medalist.

GSP fought better strikers and wrestlers on more occasion than Anderson did. That is incredibly impressive.

Back