American Atheists President David Silverman Fired For Sexual Assault

He claims to speak for atheists. He didn't say American Atheist Association believes, he said ATHEISTS believe. I don't like people speaking for me or telling me what I believe. He doesn't just claim to speak for an organization but entire swath of diverse people including myself.

....which one of those dictates do you not agree with as an atheist?

Do you want to build more churches and less hospitals?
Do you want to pray instead of act?
Do you want to support disease and poverty?

Seems like most of what he said is pretty consistent to the extent that the adverse would be a ludicrous set of principles for someone who believes there is no god.

I prefer not to google such things, you go ahead.

But yes, atheists do seem to have issue with people having a moral code.

I am a Christian, loosely.

Atheists on average have way, way, way more coherent and honest moral codes than Christians, Muslims, or any religion that I am aware of. I mean....US Christians don't have any moral code, other than abortion is evil and economics and science are voodoo. South American and European Christians are aight, though.

My basis is that I see a country divided and a symbol we can all unite around to fight our way to a better tomorrow and you seem to be getting really bent out of shape and bordering on wanting to go internet tough guy

I served my community by doing every kind of volunteer work possible and then some. I would have served further but sadly my mother made some bad decisions while pregnant that left me with a slight disability

Now go on and tell me bout your service so that I can respond by telling you I was more than likely doing more for our country working with real fucking poor people than you were while over seas doing whatever that was
I'm just going to tease it instead of saying it. I don't think you have any kind of moral authority to instruct people about how they should show love for their country. I think that's a big mistake and it's something that people who are inclined toward totalitarianism tend to do. I also think you're trying to talk down to me, for whatever reason. It's presumptuous and it's never going to work out for you. I'm not "tough" but in a discussion like this I'm definitely a tough out. So, no shortcuts.

Who gets compelled to pledge for the flag though?
Children, though decreasingly, thankfully. A lot of people want forced America prayer to make a comeback- they're always waiting in the tall grass, like Charlie in the wire.

I think most shows of patriotism are a bad idea, but I have no desire to prevent people from waving their flags if they feel like they need to wave their flags. It's just that we would be better off with people who didn't need to wave flags, who are American out of a commitment that they have fully internalized and are secure about, such that they do not need to make a scene of it. I would encourage people not to wave the flag, but to cut out the shit and do the thing that the flag-waving is supposed to motivate us to do. I realize lots of people are not capable of that, or they get temporary enjoyment out of the pageantry.

For the most part I do agree with you its just that I think throughtout history people have always used a symbol to rally around a slogan something and gives hope

I dont like where our country is going and that is where my frustration really comes from.

No one wants to look out for each other no one wants to be involved . Thats the thing I wish I could change and I feel with a bit of a push it could be achieved. You can call it compulsion if you want but my question is still how do we build a tighter community where people feel responsible for each other and vote and act in a way that shows that. i feel like we are not headed in that direction and that everyone over looks the one common ground that we have, the american thing

Hell maybe I do think if we cant find a way to give a shit about one another maybe it should be compelled and indoctrinated it cant be worse than where we seem to be headed at the moment

Indoctrination/initiation is a dubious distinction here. It is what it is- people being compelled to worship abstract symbols, in most cases before critical thinking skills have developed and with only very limited information about the object of worship. Clear brainwashing. We need to be honest and say "We want our children brainwashed in this area, because we think it will help them."

Kids will see the flag. They can't avoid it. It's in our media and on our buildings, etc. We have a very interesting founding story and a dramatic, twisted national past that is by itself, as the truth of what our country is, the thing that kids will need to evaluate when they grow older. Let's not deny them that opportunity by fucking up their heads with patriotism.

I absolutely agree with this. There are of course societal advantages to unity, cohesion, and national pride. But, IMO, a nation is not entitled to the pride of it's citizenry. Pride should be earned. Just as pride in anything, including a religious faith or other value system should be earned. Loyalty- that they are entitled to. But not pride.

I doubt most people could name one other thing in their lives, other than their religious faith or their national pride, that they are simply proud of no matter what. And for those that could, I would consider them somewhat delusional.

Not even a Mother, Father, Brother, Sister, Spouse, or child would get unconditional pride. Love-perhaps. Loyalty-Perhaps. But never pride. No matter how much you love your kid, if he takes a shit on the kitchen table at your neighbors house out of sheer petulance, you are not going to be proud of him.

I would even go one step further than that and say a person who was loyal to the country, but looked at it through an unfiltered lens, and saw the nation as it was, warts and all, showing pride when it was warranted, and disappointment when it was warranted, is a more valuable citizen to the nation overall.

I love when a guy who shits on people for having morality gets fucked because of his shitty morals.
Religion =/= morality. Society dictates law, order, and morality.

lol you would like to think that

Christians are the angriest actually. Always need someone to hate

It’s sad to admit that you are often quite right. Actually it’s worse when Christians hate someone since we have a command to love others (Mark 12:31) and should be an example (Titus 2:7-8) of good behaviour.

People who "gather" in the name of atheism if there is even such a thing I would bet have an average of 20 points higher than those who gather in the name of a magic sky man

20 points higher? Wow! 20 points of what, though....?

Of course I know what you really mean. FWIW, most of the people who go to my church seem pretty average in intelligence. In fact, most of the people I meet everywhere seem close to average in intelligence, whether explicitly believers or not. But no Christian I know of age 10 or over and remotely close to average intelligence (by my reckoning only, of course) believes in a Magic Sky Man.

A person who has faith because it gives them personal meaning and community is a way different. A person of faith who uses their religion to brow beat others and give themselves a sense of superiority is similar though.

That is no different than atheism or any other value system. For some it gives them meaning. Others it gives an air of superiority. Theists actually believe that the faith is required for there to be meaning. That is not the case.

That is no different than atheism or any other value system. For some it gives them meaning. Others it gives an air of superiority. Theists actually believe that the faith is required for there to be meaning. That is not the case.
Okay buddy but in the specific case of that cunt JonesBones was replying to his atheism is a way for him to thumb his nose at others.

Last edited:
I am a Christian, loosely.

Atheists on average have way, way, way more coherent and honest moral codes than Christians, Muslims, or any religion that I am aware of. I mean....US Christians don't have any moral code, other than abortion is evil and economics and science are voodoo. South American and European Christians are aight, though.

Very well said. In fact, I would suggest that many people of faith do not actually have a personal moral code. Christians adopt the moral code of Christianity. Muslims adopt the moral code of Islam. While atheists generally act according to a personal moral code.

Last edited:
Okay buddy but in the specific case of that cunt JonesBones was replying to his atheism is a way for him to thumb his nos at others.

Absolutely agree!! Every value system is going to have their share of hemorrhoids.

Back