Am I the only one who thinks Jones v Gus wasn't that close ?

The fight was close, but Jones won. Especially if you believe in the old adage of having to clearly beat the champ. Gus most certainly did not do that. Gus did plenty of running which looks bad to the judges, and Jones was the closest to finishing. Doing better than everyone expected is much different than doing enough to win.

If they fight again it will not be close.

The fight was close, but Jones won. Especially if you believe in the old adage of having to clearly beat the champ. Gus most certainly did not do that. Gus did plenty of running which looks bad to the judges, and Jones was the closest to finishing. Doing better than everyone expected is much different than doing enough to win.

If they fight again it will not be close.

This is exactly what I thought, Gus running so much in a title fight ( running ok if you finish your opponent), but looks bad if you don't, Gus didn't even try to submit or mount /gnp Jones when he historically took Jones to the ground (looked like he wasn't prepared to even try to finish Jones on the ground.

After the spinning elbow, Gus was hanging on for dear life and was only saved by the round ending.

Gus benefited tremendously from the early cut from the seam of the glove like Vitor vs Randy 2, while it didn't end the fight like Belfort's punch did, it definitely set up the bleeding and swelling that followed due to the limited vision in Jon's right eye.

Long story short...Gus had a good performance but never had Jones in trouble, Jones on the other hand had Gus in trouble.

Jones kept his foot on the gas during the championship rounds as Gus began to fade.

Gus was not prepared to try and finish on the ground and ran a few times on the feet to avoid the phone booth brawl (which was supposed to be Gus's strength).

Advantage... Jones.

Gustafsson had good rounds, but Jones clearly won more of them. It's just Jones haters (don't think Gustafsson has any acutal fans) grasping at straws.

I had jones winning 2,4 and 5. But 2 was close from what i remember.

Great fight. Could have gone either way.

Fun fight. Rematch should be good.

It was close in that midway through the fourth round Gustafsson was close to winning the title; but that elbow landed, Jones took the round and Alex was pretty much done.

You are probably the only one, yes. Gus had 2 clear rounds, Jones had 2 clear rounds. I don't remember what round, but Gus was slightly ahead in that round up until the ~4 minute mark when Jones landed a spinning elbow that won him that round. Had Gus been able to avoid it, he would have taken that round and the entire fight. If you don't think the fight was close you must be blind.

it was a close fight but the decision was obvious, jones clearly won rounds 2,4,5

some people dont know how to judge a fight and just look at the fight as a whole and post gifs from one round

whats really weird is when people say gus shouldve won round 4 because he was "dominating" except for one strike. the round was back and forth, jones landed multiple headkicks before he rocked him with the elbow then completely dominated the last minute

fun fact: jones landed more strikes in every round except round 5, which nobody scored for gus anyways

http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/0aa5be9d0e75dd42

The original stats on fightmetric had Gus up by about 70 strikes across the 5 rounds. The fightmetric stats were altered twice, reducing Gus's sig strikes, and increasing Jones'.

UFC-165-gustafsson-vs.-Jones-V1.jpg

changed to

UFC-165-gustafsson-vs.-Jones-V3.jpg

You are probably the only one, yes. Gus had 2 clear rounds, Jones had 2 clear rounds. I don't remember what round, but Gus was slightly ahead in that round up until the ~4 minute mark when Jones landed a spinning elbow that won him that round. Had Gus been able to avoid it, he would have taken that round and the entire fight. If you don't think the fight was close you must be blind.

That was R4. People exaggerate the last minute of R4 as well, the elbow rocked Gus for sure, but Jones didn't do much after that elbow (Jones landed a handful of strikes, most were blocked, Gus also defended a takedown and took/pushed Jones down after the elbow). Gus had been winning that round convincingly. I personally scored that round for Gus, there was no knockdown, nor was Jones able to capitalise on Gus being rocked so I don't think that 1 elbow was significant enough to win the round for Jones.

Last edited:
Jones himself said that Gustafsson is the only fighter that made him dig deep, Jones was losing that fight before the spinning elbow from nowhere, we need a rematch.

It was super close. Had Jones not landed the elbow he would have lost this fight.

Imo you cannot argue that it wasn't close. Just look at the controversy to this day. Many people scored it for Gus.

No matter who you think won, it was definitely a really close fight.

Gus 1,3,4

Gus was tagging Jones for 4:25 of the 4th round. Jones landed the elbow and followed it up with like 5 strikes and a stuffed takedown.

I just can't see how 1 strike that didn't even knock Gus down won Jones that round. Had Jones had Gus against the fence, covering up, and landing big shots or even landing that takedown with some GnP to end the round, I could see it. But 35 seconds of a spinning elbow and and a few forearm strikes doesn't erase what Gus for 4:25

It was a good fight and a close fight but I don't at all see where people see Gus as winning that fight. I personally believe it's the excitement over the first time people saw jones tested in a UFC fight

Jon was clearly losing the 4th and had to rely on a low-percentage strike (spinning elbow) with 30s to go to steal that round. If that elbow doesn't land, he loses the round and thus the fight on 2/3 cards. Possibly the single most important strike in MMA history.

It was close, but I think Jones closed the fight well and got the clear victory.

No doubt he was Jones toughest challenge. Maybe it's the way those 2 match up? Gus has looked ok, but not stellar since then. Still would love to see the rematch as I imagine Gus will be more motivated for that than anything ever.

I had it for Gus but it could had gone either way , Gus landed the most and Idid more damage and jones was closer to finishing. I can't wait for a rematch

It was a good fight and a close fight but I don't at all see where people see Gus as winning that fight. I personally believe it's the excitement over the first time people saw jones tested in a UFC fight

I don't think so at all(though it was exciting when he took jones down), Gus landed a lot of punches, jones landed a lot of kicks. Volume and damage vs closer finish most significant strikes, could had gone either way really. I believe the difference maker was that elbow, how gus didn't go down it's beyond me , both showed great chins overall an awesome fight

Back