Am I the only one who thinks Jones v Gus wasn't that close ?

It was close but there was a clear winner. Jones won by one round. 0 controversy. I wanted Gus to win but we have to be objective. Jones clearly won by one point. So again, it was close but there was a clear winner.

I had it 3-2 Jones. Gus won round 1 and 3 and was winning the 4th till Jones hit that fight changing elbow. Turning point of the fight.

No, I'm sure there's more than one deluded individual on Sherdog at any given moment.
Gus sent him to the hospital.

You're not alone. Gus clearly had that fight.

Jones was probably my favorite fighter at the time so I was watching from a biased perspective. When they announced the decision, I was like w....t....f? I rewatched a couple of times and never saw how you could possibly score it for Jones.

Anyways, the fight made me a fan of Gus.

After the spinning elbow, Gus was hanging on for dear life and was only saved by the round ending.

The 4th ended Gus throwing Jones to the ground. He also landed many of his best punches in the 5th.

Gus benefited tremendously from the early cut from the seam of the glove like Vitor vs Randy 2, while it didn't end the fight like Belfort's punch did, it definitely set up the bleeding and swelling that followed due to the limited vision in Jon's right eye.

Sounds like a pretty significant strike then.

Long story short...Gus had a good performance but never had Jones in trouble, Jones on the other hand had Gus in trouble.

Jones himself said he was desperate during the 4th and felt he needed a finish.

Jones kept his foot on the gas during the championship rounds as Gus began to fade.

Gus outsruck Jones in the 5th.

Advantage... Jones.

Jones was in a lot worse shape after the fight.

Cheers.

I had it 3-2 Jones. Gus won round 1 and 3 and was winning the 4th till Jones hit that fight changing elbow. Turning point of the fight.

This. Gus had it late in the fourth round and blew it. Close fight and Gus could have been awarded a robbery as there was a rational argument for saying Gus won(first three rounds) but that was one of many interpretations of a fight with a few close rounds and it was easier to give that decision to Jones. This becomes even more clear if we apply "you need to clearly beat the champ" to the fight in which case Gus certainly didn't win.

Remember Gus struggling to survive the round. Admit the memory itself is shaky. Then again I admit watching it with commentary makes my memory biased as the commentators view can't help but influence your own.

People remember the 5th wrong probably because Rogan was going crazy over the 6 headkicks Jones threw, but all of them were partially or fully blocked by Gus. I did score the round for Jones, but mainly because the one takedown he finally landed. It was very competitive round if you ignore the commentary.

People remember the 5th wrong probably because Rogan was going crazy over the 6 headkicks Jones threw, but all of them were partially or fully blocked by Gus. I did score the round for Jones, but mainly because the one takedown he finally landed. It was very competitive round if you ignore the commentary.

I can easily see this being true I might watch R5 again later. Then again it's a two way street the first few rounds had the commentators pretty biased towards Gus giving the impression he won all three rounds which is why so many were convinced it was a robbery at the time because they thought Gus didn't need to win any more rounds after the third to win the fight.

I had Gus taking the first 3 rounds. Round 4 was actually his most dominant round until the elbow landed.

Still had Gus winning 3-2

I don't think it was close either.

Easy win for gustaffson: 4-1

The 4th ended Gus throwing Jones to the ground. He also landed many of his best punches in the 5th.

You made many good points.

Such a close fight in some ways, I think if Gus had attempted submissions on the ground, had wobbled Jones and stood his ground when brawling, he would have gotten the nod. When it is so close at the end, those little things appear to really count with the judges.

Looking back historically, Oleg Taktarov submitted Tank Abbott (UFC 6 Casper, Wyoming) with a rear naked choke, Tank walked out of the octagon and had a beer, Oleg was carried out the octagon on a stretcher with both eyes shut with an oxygen mask.

Although Oleg won the fight with a submission, he showed a tremendous amount of damage and could not even stand up and raise his hand if I remember correctly. If the fight had gone to a decision (might not have been a time limit on this one)
Oleg still would have won despite his physical appearance by comparison to Tank.

I could be wrong but I don't think too much can be put in the appearance of the other fighter at the end of the fight.

Sounds like a pretty significant strike then.

Jones himself said he was desperate during the 4th and felt he needed a finish.

Gus outsruck Jones in the 5th.

Jones was in a lot worse shape after the fight.

Cheers.

It was competitive and sort of close, but it was only like one and a half rounds, in the begining like, 'is gus winning?' Then jones caught up so by the time of round 3 it was even but jones had the momentum and totally smashed gus who got his head kicked in like a million times and back peddled and ran like hell.
Yeah he is white, but the fight wasnt THAT close

Has Jones had a closer fight?
jones-toe-2.jpg

I had Gus beating him the first round, but mostly through the TD and a couple of strikes.
R2 could have been a draw, for all I care.

But R3, 4, 5 were clearly Jones. I guess I'm curious where people are seeing Gus dominating Jones in such a fashion ? Now, I will admit that the times Gus landed, he made it count, but given the rules of the fight, I saw Jones clearly beating Gus.

0-36876
Just watched it and you're right about the last three rounds

Back