Am I the only one who thinks Jones v Gus wasn't that close ?

Easily a victory for the GOAT Jones.

I emotionally scored it for Gus the night of and argued for him for weeks.

When i watched the fight back a few times with an unbiased perspective i had to score it for Jones but it was very close.

Who cares what others think? Impose your opinions, be an alpha, it's sherdog; you are always right!

It's important to note the difference between a close fight and a controversial fight. The fight was obviously close; rounds were competitive enough that a few meaningful shots could have swung the outcome. However, while I'm not a Jones fan, he clearly won the fight.

When the fight ended, it didn't even cross my mind that Gus might have won. All 3 judges gave it to Jones, fightmetric gave it to Jones, and 12 out of 13 media members gave it to Jones. It was fairly clear to most objective observers. I think the "controversy" largely stems from Gus fans and Jones haters.

I had Gus beating him the first round, but mostly through the TD and a couple of strikes.
R2 could have been a draw, for all I care.

But R3, 4, 5 were clearly Jones. I guess I'm curious where people are seeing Gus dominating Jones in such a fashion ? Now, I will admit that the times Gus landed, he made it count, but given the rules of the fight, I saw Jones clearly beating Gus.

0-36876
Yeah dude, I think that's just you. I had Jones winning that fight for the record, but it was that elbow in the fourth that won it for him.

I don't remember the rounds. I do remember being at my friend's house and for the first time ever at a Jones fight, I wasn't sure who was going to get the decision. I thought that Jones should win. But I wasn't sure and I didn't think it would be a robbery either way.

Almost exactly my feelings @ GSP-Hendricks

It could have gone either way. It WAS a close fight.
I think we all knew who won though, the guy who could barley walk with his face all swollen like never before and with the look of defeat in his eyes lost. Gus beat his ass.

Jones clearly won but it's the only properly tough fight he's had.

Close fight if scored by rounds, but Gus was holding for dear life for the last 6 minutes. He looked like he was on a brink of collapsing, eating one bomb after another.

I would bet on Jones breaking Alex and winning by TKO if the fight continued for one more round.

I remember having it 48-47 for Jones and thinking that a 49-46 would be permissible. The problem is that Gus did so many great things even in the rounds I thought he lost. It truly was a close fight, but Jones clearly won on the scorecards IMO.

There is zero legitimate controversy over this fight. Gustafson did better than expected but clearly lost. That's why it was by unanimous decision.

it was a close fight but the decision was obvious, jones clearly won rounds 2,4,5

some people dont know how to judge a fight and just look at the fight as a whole and post gifs from one round

whats really weird is when people say gus shouldve won round 4 because he was "dominating" except for one strike. the round was back and forth, jones landed multiple headkicks before he rocked him with the elbow then completely dominated the last minute

fun fact: jones landed more strikes in every round except round 5, which nobody scored for gus anyways

http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/0aa5be9d0e75dd42
Those strike numbers are rubbish. Watch and count yourself, they are way off.

Close fight. I thought Gus won one and three pretty obviously. Round two was extremely close, I felt Gus landed better some quality strikes but a draw would be fair. The fourth is very interesting, Jones does really well for the first minute or so, then it's back and forth, then Gus has a very good patch where he lands some nice punches and knocks Jones back with a really good combination. Then there's that elbow. Jones actually misses most of his follow up but that one strike was huge and clearly had Gus badly hurt. Jones clinched the fifth with a very strong finish to a pretty competitive round. He threw plenty in the last fifteen seconds.

Gus edged it for me, but a draw is fine too. Hope the rematch is just as good a fight if and when it happens.

I had it 48-47 Jones, but he should've gotten a point deducted for eyepokes.
Very close fight, imo. Even closer / possibly a draw with a ref that does his job.

XvMBN89.gif

I have no doubt that Jones will finish him in a rematch, though.

i rewatched it recently and it wasnt at all as close as i had remembered.

R1: 10-10
R2: 10-9
R3: 10-9
R4: 9-10
R5: 10-9

49-47 jones

if you disagree with this scoring you dont understand mma

The only round you gave to Gus is clearly a Jones round IMO. All the other rounds except 5 were close IMO and your view isn't beyond the pale(one judge largely agreed) but most people wouldn't give all the close rounds to Gus(first round could have been a tie but tie's don't really happy all that much in modern scoring) especially the third. Your view is within an acceptable range but so is Gus winning the fight. I had it as follows.

R1 9-10
R2 10-9
R3 9-10
R4 10-9
R5 10-8
48-46

Point is whether you agree with it or not based on the actual scorecards of the judges Gus was going to be champ if he'd won the fourth round.

Last edited:
Clear Jones win. It just looked greater than it was against someone as good as jones

Jones clearly won the fight imo but the fight was closer then people expected and very exciting.

Back