ALTERED CARBON (Renewed for Season 2 with New Star Anthony Mackie)

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Dragonlordxxxxx, Dec 4, 2017.

1. closequarters

closequarters Purple Belt

This is another example of why I stopped watching trailers and reading reviews before I watch something. At most, I’ll glance at an IMDB or RT score just to make sure at least some people thought it was worth watching.

I didn’t know Altered Carbon was based on a popular book series, it had a huge budget, and was presented as one of Netflix’s next flagship shows. I had zero expectations and was ready to turn it off if it bored me.

I was into it from the get go. The pace is great. I thought the acting was serviceable. The storyline was the best thing about the show. The sex and violence was a bonus. Could have used less dong though. The flashback scenes were pure cheese but since I was expecting low quality, it didn’t bother me much. I enjoyed this quite a bit.

Ortega had an alright face, but that body is bangin.

2. Omegaboy13

Omegaboy13 Sweepin' Your Leg

I really enjoyed the first season. Episodes 6-9 are pretty odd and just jump around to stuff that doesn’t really seem to matter. Hoping they do a few more seasons and get back on track.

Tankeray likes this.
  3. MadSquabbles500

MadSquabbles500 Steel Belt

I wish all the girls at the Hong Kong club had Ortega's body. Her face, I can accept too. She is like the hawt mexican who works the counter at that place you shop at.

Tankeray likes this.
  4. JinKazama

JinKazama Red Belt

i liked it and thought joel kinnaman was a good fit

theyd probably need new actors for any new seasons so it would be interesting to see where they go with it

MadSquabbles500 and Tankeray like this.
  5. blaseblah

blaseblah Silver Belt

So looks like Anthony Mackie is their new lead. Interesting.

I kind of wish they would just make the guy who plays his real human body the lead. He was my favorite part of the show.

MadSquabbles500 likes this.
  6. MadSquabbles500

proof?

7. LEGS MAHONEY

LEGS MAHONEY genetically modified man shark

I completed the book a few weeks back and why im THEE FUCK did the show writers make the changes they did ?

Made utterly no sense to make the envoys some taliban forrest people instead of what they were in the book nor did it make any sense to turn Reileen into his sister.

dumbass tv show writers thinking they can improve the book once again. I think they wanted to make Kovacs more "likeable"in their minds

no fat chicks and Organic Damage like this.
  8. lifelessheap

lifelessheap Yellow Card Yellow Card

Exactly what I thought. It turned into an totally different show, a new and shitty show.

LEGS MAHONEY likes this.
  9. MadSquabbles500

the writer/head creator is an SJW, feminazi, liberal, #metoo type.

10. LEGS MAHONEY

Yeah i was kinda thinking that when i googled who ruined the show and saw an interview with her. But even then her changes were dumb. Every interaction in the book was turned into a romance which isnt very feminist and If you wanna show girl power why the fuck did they completely ignore the Trepp character? She was the strongest chick in the book.<JagsKiddingMe>

And then smashing Quell and Virginia into one character ffs

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    no fat chicks and Organic Damage like this.
  11. Concrete

Concrete Steel Belt

I heard this show started off brightly then the standard of writing fell off a cliff. Is that true?

12. blaseblah

blaseblah Silver Belt

The showrunner really liked Quell and didn't think they'd get further seasons. That's the reason she gave for combining the characters.

13. cottagecheesefan

cottagecheesefan Yellow Card Yellow Card

Maybe not a cliff, but a rolled down a moderate hill.

milliniar likes this.
  14. LEGS MAHONEY

yes it was cool af till episode 7

15. Dragonlordxxxxx

Dragonlordxxxxx Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

ALTERED CARBON Renewed for Season 2 with New Star Anthony Mackie

Netflix is bringing back sci-fi drama Altered Carbon for a second season with a new leading man.

Captain America star Anthony Mackie will take over the leading role of Takeshi Kovacs, stepping in for season one star Joel Kinnaman. Additionally, Alison Schapker (Scandal, The Flash, Fringe, Alias) has joined the drama from Skydance Television as co-showrunner alongside Laeta Kalogridis. A season two episode count or return date have not yet been determined for the pricey, effects-heavy drama.

Kinnaman toplined season one of Altered Carbon as Kovacs, a time- and body-displaced soldier-turned-reluctant detective who lives in a future world where human mortality has been conquered. Hundreds of years after his most recent death, Kovacs wakes up in a brand-new body (or "sleeve," as it is called in the show's universe) and is recruited to solve a murder. Kinnaman played the dual role of Kovacs and Ryker, a police officer framed for a crime he didn't commit, whose "stack" (aka his soul) was removed from his sleeve pending further review. Using Ryker's sleeve, Kovacs embarks on a long and violent quest to unmask a killer, with unexpectedly painful and personal results.

The season one finale ended with (spoiler alert) Kovacs surrendering Ryker's sleeve to the authorities and assuming a new identity. The drama stopped short of revealing Kovacs' new sleeve. Instead, his final appearance is as a silhouette, departing the futuristic Bay City for parts unknown.

Kinnaman, who had a one-year deal for Altered Carbon, confirmed his departure days after the freshman run debuted in February with news that he would star in a reboot of Hanna for Netflix rival Amazon. (Kinnaman will reunite with his Killing co-star, Mireille Enos in Hanna.)

In a larger sense, Altered Carbon — based on the Richard K. Morgan novels — explores the journey of Takeshi Kovacs over hundreds of years and across many different bodies (and planets). It allows the Netflix series to explore themes of identity, mortality and the human soul. Season two will see Mackie be the new embodiment of Kovacs, as the series continues to expand on these deeper themes and ideas across longer periods of times and different worlds throughout the universe.

For his part, Mackie counts features The Hurt Locker, 8 Mile, All the Way and the role of Sam Wilson/The Falcon in Marvel's Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man, Captain America: Civil War and, most recently, Avengers: Infinity War. He will next be seen in The Hate U Give, due in October, and a remake of Miss Bala, set for January.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...ewed-season-2-new-star-anthony-mackie-1130243

We are Venom, Zer and milliniar like this.
  16. TheRuthlessOne

TheRuthlessOne Violence Belt

They actually found a worse actor than Joel Kinnaman

wow

MadSquabbles500 likes this.
  17. Organic Damage

Organic Damage Dancing on the ashes of the World

To be fair he was a borderline psychopathic nihilist in the books, at least at first. I think they could have gone further, like the Punisher did, but hell, even that show had to give him a sidekick to let the audience in.

I'm not a huge fan of the changes they made either, but the fact they recast the lead after Riker's sleeve was returned gives me at least minimal faith they aren't throwing out everything in the books. Hell, maybe Trepp will even show up...

18. Zer

Zer Gold Belt

I wonder if they do Broken Angels for Season 2 because that was a big departure from the first book in terms of style. I liked Broken Angels, but I'd be way more excited if they did up some new material that'd use Altered Carbon's aesthetic. BA is set like 30 years after AC iirc so they got room to work in

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  19. LEGS MAHONEY

thats why takeshi was great he was a giant asshole. I think hollywood has this assumption that the audience always needs to get a love story of sorts or various family bonds in order to relate to a protagonist. it makes everything cookie cutter after a while and forced.

The Trepp character and the book relation with Kawahara showed that Kovacs wasnt entirely with out a sense of morality.And ultimately Ab like Blade runner owed alot to the noir genre where the lead was a stiff simplistic hard boiled hard punching hard fartin hard drinkin take no guff neanderthal.

Stranger Come Knocking and Zer like this.
  20. LilMountain

LilMountain Section 20 Operative

I just hope they do just cause it improves the chances they do the third book, which I love.(and always thought would make a badass rpg game setting)

Zer likes this.