ALTERED CARBON (Renewed for Season 2 with New Star Anthony Mackie)

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Dragonlordxxxxx, Dec 4, 2017.

1. method115

method115 Steel Belt

Just finished it. First episode starts off good, episode 2 sucks and most of 3 as well. After that it picks up a bit and get interesting and I ended up enjoying the rest of it. Main complaints:

- Story gets really confusing.
    - To many things didn't make much sense. Like they can transfer people's memories from body to body but they can't just read someones memories they need to torture people still? Then again flaws like this are always prevalent in super advanced technology type of shows\movies.
    - Cop girl starts off annoying but becomes less aggravating later on.

I'm interested to see where they go from here. With a few changes they could really turn this into something that's good to great.

2. JaegerIT

JaegerIT GET SOME

finished it yesterday on a binge, pretty good series but i didnt like the ending where everything gets solved and the fact that the super powerful sky dweller is arrested by a street cop after an entire season of saying they are above all and worshipped as gods by some, that was super weak imo, but i liked it hope it gets a second season

3. MadSquabbles500

MadSquabbles500 Gold Belt

If people can live forever, they probably take their sweet time with everything, and never be in a rush. Plus necessity is the mother of invention. With immortality, there really is no necessity. So civilization basically become stagnant.

ObsoleteSoul likes this.
  4. MadSquabbles500

The show and the book are quite different. The screenwriter Laeta Kalogridis put in lots of things from dramatic effect.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Organic Damage and benebox like this.
  5. HereticBD

HereticBD Steel Belt

Fair enough, but I still think we'd evolve technologically for convenience, regardless of immortality. That includes evolving the method of how we maintain immortality.

250 years, and those chips are still the be all end all? Don't buy it.

MadSquabbles500 likes this.
  6. shunyata

shunyata Black Belt

After the concept was brought up in the film The Prestige, I cannot help but think that any technology that copies and transfers consciousness whether a teleportation or mental upload will only be a copy. The original cannot be transferred only copied. Any thing that presupposes this is actually killing the real original person unless their body integrity is preserved with life intact.

Essentially in this series it's clones of clones of clones of clones who think they are immortal but get killed pretty regularly. The original human in each case truly died on the first death.

chickenluver likes this.
  7. James4210

James4210 Blue Belt

Great to see that karate kicks are still a thing in the far future. more effective than forcefield or electric weapons.

8. benebox

benebox Brown Belt

The changes arn't all bad but they made too many 'save the day' moments with the same characters that it comes off as corny on the screen. I much perfer the randomness of the books.

9. LEGS MAHONEY

LEGS MAHONEY genetically modified man shark

on episode 5 and still loving it

dont care for the mexican cops acting but she got naked that episode and <20>

10. some random guy

some random guy Yellow Belt

I haven't watched this at all yet but in the novel it's explained in detail as part of the characters background, as in why he can adapt, almost right at the start.

11. method115

method115 Steel Belt

She actually becomes more tolerable from that episode on.

12. PoundMeToo

PoundMeToo Gold Belt

I agree. The first 6 episodes I was like this is the best show ever. Then the flashback episode felt really cheap and the actors were pretty awful. Then I got really annoyed how everything ended up relating back to the main character. IMO it would have been much better if he was just a dude from the past solving a crime.

Crimson Glory likes this.
  13. HereticBD

HereticBD Steel Belt

Checked out Ep2.

Okay, I'm pretty much convinced this show is a complete dud. It's just so poorly structured. There is no focus on anything. It just shoves shit in your face, hoping the Blade Runner vibe will distract you from just how poorly its all put together. It's not complex. It's just a fucking mess. Perhaps that's a little harsh for only being two episodes in, but based on what it's given me so far, I have no reason to believe it will get much better.

I've also got a bit of a minor nitpick, in that it's just so very try hard, in attempting to appear "adult". Here's some completely pointless gratuitous nudity. Here's every character throwing "fucking" in all their sentences. I'm no prude either, and have defended that criticism levied against other shows(like the one represented in my avatar), but there's just something about how nudity and profanity is used in this show, that feels so forced.

Don't know if I'll make it through at this point. I'll probably give it to Ep5 to hook me in the slightest. None too impressed so far.

14. Pugilistic

Pugilistic Red Belt

It was alright. my friends were raving on about how amazing it is but I wouldn't go far as to say it was amazing. I enjoyed it. The action and special effects were on point for the most part but the story is way too convoluted and the acting for the most part is meh. Kinnerman is alright as the lead. My favorite character was the AI guy. I didn't find the Latina detective as annoying as some of you but I felt both the actress' performance and the way the character was written to be flat. Not particularly excited for a second season.

15. Hogey

Hogey Black Belt

Aye that blonde chick that was going to be tourtered/killed had amazing tits. Perfect nipple/Arola proportion

MadSquabbles500 likes this.
  16. MadSquabbles500

I dont know what they will do with the second season. There is two other books, but what I mean is it will be strictly a Sci-Fi action show going forward. They cant go back to the whole immortality angle, and switching bodies, and not knowing who is in that body because that gets old.

But the other books take place in space in a corporate war with long gone Martians and leftover tech. So I just hope the action scenes will be awesome. But Kovacs is giving that body back, so I dont know who they will cast next.

Organic Damage likes this.
  17. HereticBD

HereticBD Steel Belt

I pictured your avatar saying this.

Hogey likes this.
  18. rj144

rj144 Black Belt

Way to spoil it. ;)

I just finished it tonight and thought it was ok. I'd give it 7/10. It was nothing mind blowing.

19. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

Finished it earlier. Cool premise. The visuals are awesome. Finally got to see the chick cop naked.

20. MMA since 1993

MMA since 1993 ____________

Finished it yesterday. Liked it, 8/10

Visuals were great.