Alexander Gustafsson could take the heavyweight belt

Did he finally get over the Jones fight? It's been a long time since he posted how motivated he is to get "his" belt back? What he's been up to? Does he still fight?

Looks like the Gus fanboys came out from under there rock today. Waiting for DC to retire so Gus can be fake champ 2.0

He went toe to toe against Cormier and Jones. Both who would probably be even against Stipe, Jones might even be the slight favourite. So it's a fair conclusion that Gus would only be a slight underdog versus Stipe.

I like Gus. I'd like to see what he'd look like at HW. Could be good, could be shit

He'd lose his size advantage to Stipe and would be naturally weaker, the worse wrestler, and not as powerful. I see Stipe getting him with a few straight punches and taking him down. R1 KO for Stipe probably. HW Stipe has more power than LHW Rumble IMO. Ngannou looked visibly distraught from Stipe's straights.

But Gustafsson doesn't have the frame to fight at heavy weight, despite being a very tall guy. It's as simple as that.

Stipe might beat Gus by decision or TKO, but WEIGHT DON'T WIN FIGHT.

Fucking Manhoef KO Mark Hunt badly.
Melvin_Manhoef_vs_Mark_Hunt.gif

Stipe is like 20 pounds or 40 pounds lighter than Francis and still beat him. Gus walk weight is probably 220 pounds.
Gus could gain some muscle or weight in a year and can take on Stipe.

Weight is easy to gain once you pass 30 years old.
Rampage just lost to Chael Sonnen who was like 30 to 40 pounds lighter than Rampage. Maia a welterweight beat Chael Sonnen.

Floyd Mayweather said "Weight don't win fight" that's why Mayweather beat a lot of fighters that was bigger than himself.

So your pea brain can't deal with the fact that Jones got outstruck and was far more damaged in the fight?

So your pea brain can't deal with the fact that Jones won at least 3 rounds?

Gus fans live in a fantasy world where he has never lost and would be HW champ as well. Sad.

"Maldonado is a 185er", despite never once fighting at 185 during his career.

Ok.
Let me try one more time, since your brain could apparently blend in among kernels of corn in a bag of steamed veggies...

Some idiot introduced the idea of Stipe vs. Maldanado as proof people who fight at 205 can't hang at 225.
I countered that Maldanado was never a legitimate 205lb fighter, both in terms of ring-success and actual biology, to be considered representative of what the best 205lb fighters are.

Had Maldanado actually been considered or made it to the very top of the UFC like the guys we're discussing, it would be at 185. He is undeniably smaller than every single other person we are having this discussion about. Are you such an MMA noob that you can't grasp the fact that some journeymen fighters choose to avoid cutting weight to eek out a mediocre career? Is Christian M'Pumbu also proof 205ers can't win at heavyweight because he also took a garbage matchup against someone two weightclasses bigger than him?

Once again: no valid argument about top5 205ers can be made using bloated 185ers ranked outside the top 100.

Let me try one more time, since your brain could apparently blend in among kernels of corn in a bag of steamed veggies...

Some idiot introduced the idea of Stipe vs. Maldanado as proof people who fight at 205 can't hang at 225.
I countered that Maldanado was never a legitimate 205lb fighter, both in terms of ring-success and actual biology, to be considered representative of what the best 205lb fighters are.

Had Maldanado actually been considered or made it to the very top of the UFC like the guys we're discussing, it would be at 185. He is undeniably smaller than every single other person we are having this discussion about. Are you such an MMA noob that you can't grasp the fact that some journeymen fighters choose to avoid cutting weight to eek out a mediocre career? Is Christian M'Pumbu also proof 205ers can't win at heavyweight because he also took a garbage matchup against someone two weightclasses bigger than him?

Once again: no valid argument about top5 205ers can be made using bloated 185ers ranked outside the top 100.

Lol.

I think Gus gets hit too much to do that well at HW personally, we saw the problem there when he faced HW level power vs Rumble.

Why is anyone still talking about Jones? Guy has cheated for who knows how long, surprised anyone still has an ounce of respect for him.

I think Gus is actually a terrible matchup for Stipe. He has a rock solid chin (except for the time he got Rumbled), and more technical striking than Stipe. His wrestling is good enough to not get laid on, and he's got a higher work rate than Stipe. I think he could win a five round fight by decision. Stipe's not that much bigger either.

Title fight? Gus gives Stipe the fight of his life in a contender for fight of the year but falls just short of the win.

If he can't even win the manlet LHW belt how is he possibly going to win the HW belt?

Huge Gus fan, but no...

First he needs to stay more active to be a contender at 205, also a big part of his game at LHW is use of his range and distance through elite TDD, and his durability, at HW these factors go out the window. I’m not saying he wouldn’t have some competitive fights at HW, but he’d get murked by the elite big men.

Back