Alex Oliveira Says Carlos Condit 'Went to Sleep,' Woke Up, Before Tapping to Choke (gif inside)

Now i may not know anything about body mechanics, kinesiology, physiology, sports science, anatomy, biology, refereeing, top level bjj, or sports analysis, BUT I THINK....

So, despite Carlos' body going limp AND Alex Oliveira, the guy with the best vantage point of what happened during the choke, stating that Carlos went out, you STILL believe Dom?
ya alex had the best view in the house. looking over the back of condits neck. could really see into his eyes and know when he went out. you sir are an idiot lol

Cruz wrong again. Worst commentator we have ever seen

DC called him "Carlos Conduit".

. If it was the principle that refs have no business making that kind of call and if a fighter wants to go out, let them go out I'd be alright with SOME outrage,
That is actually the only thing I was upset about. The way the ref handled the Condit fight last night was perfect. Chokes are one thing you should give the fighter every opportunity to get out of because there is little to no chance of anything bad happening from it. I don't think for a second that Chiesa was going to get out of there. If he did somehow though, that would have been fucking epic.

Cruz wrong again. Worst commentator we have ever seen
well, we dont know that.

superlatives based off assumptions are just as "bad" as his commentating.

cruz is actually a good commentator. hes annoying, sure, but hes good.

That isn't how it works. Rofl. Did Machida wake up in half a second after Bones let go of the guillotine? No. You've obviously never seen someone choked out IRL.
u can absolutely wake up a second later.. hughes vs newton

well, we dont know that.

superlatives based off assumptions are just as "bad" as his commentating.

cruz is actually a good commentator. hes annoying, sure, but hes good.
He is a fuckwit commentor. They call him contrarian cruz for a reason. Never agrees, always disagrees or at the very least try to put his own spin on it. Not an ounce of humour in his dead voice. Cormier schooled him on a grapping exchange in the female fight yesterday, he had no response

There are no assumptions in my assessment of him as an analyst or commentator.

He is a fuckwit commentor. They call him contrarian cruz for a reason. Never agrees, always disagrees or at the very least try to put his own spin on it. Not an ounce of humour in his dead voice. Cormier schooled him on a grapping exchange in the female fight yesterday, he had no response
yea, i saw that. they were both correct, but i THINK cruz didnt see the way she was moving and ended up being wrong and dont think he wanted to explain all that...

annoying? yes. but is he bad? no, might be the best when it comes to technical stuff. and u know what? last night he was the one who attempted to squash things when dc pushed him. hard to stay objective with cruz, but lets not take everything away from him

Another thing I've never got is the Cruz hate wrt his commentating. I find him to be very, very knowledgeable and entertaining (although he can be a touch cruel when he's talkin' that trash). His voice might be a bit nasal, but I'll take him as a colour commentator over Dan "OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!" Hardy and DC any day. If I'm being perfectly honest though, Pat Miletich is the best colour commentator in the business, has been for a long time, and should have been picked up by the UFC years ago.

It's hard to say Condit wasn't out when he just dropped both his hands for no reason when he should be defending his neck at all costs.

This "playing dead" technique seems a lot more going limp than defending. In fact, if a fighter is not out he must make it seem to the referee otherwise he can end up losing. You have to intelligently defend yourself at all times.

What do you think?

Even DC kept saying Condit was out, but Dom kept saying he wasn't

EDIT:

Here's the gif

Condit was not out. Look at his right hand as he is going down. He stretched his hand to brace himself. You can see he even spreads his fingers, showing he was aware of what was happening.

If he was out, his right hand would have been limp, and he would have gone down machida style ( vs Jones)

I don’t know about when he was on he ground though, he was very still for a few seconds, I’m guessing he was buying time to see if the choke would loosen up but he eventually tapped

I don't see how anyone can say for certain Condit goes limp from watching that gif. It doesn't look like he did to me, but the angle makes it impossible to tell for sure when he's up against the fence. To me it seemed like he was just trying to wait the choke out. I've seen plenty of guys not really defend and kinda relax while getting choked - and some of them end up surviving from that tactic. Controlling your breathing while getting choked is probably important. If you panic and thrash about when you're already being depleted of some oxygen, I would imagine you go out quicker.

As for everyone saying "Oliveira" would know more than anyone - I don't agree with that either. Plenty of fighters are wrong about what they think happened in the heat of the moment. That's why you see a lot of guys complaining during legitimate stoppages that they weren't really knocked out, etc.

Meh i call bullshit. Why didn't he just let go of the choke then? The ref would have seen that Carlos was out and have stopped the fight.

Meh i call bullshit. Why didn't he just let go of the choke then? The ref would have seen that Carlos was out and have stopped the fight.

You are supposed to keep going til the ref stops it. Suppose you release the pressure and condit is immediately conscious again?

Smarter move would have been for cowboy to say to the ref "he's out!", take it from there

Back