Aldo sold 200K PPV's on the last card he headlined w/o Conor, while Conor sold 1.2 million.

It's sad that supposed hardcore fans are now using the Conor era "fuck actual sporting competition" logic when discussing fights.

I mean, if we are going to accept this idea that lack of marketability should keep some of the best fighters away from the title, then the entire spectacle becomes a joke. Whoever is the champion loses all legitimacy because his competition has been handpicked based on entertainment value.

I've been around, so I realize that this brand of roster pruning has been happening forever, but when hardcore fans start speaking this silly language and wholeheartedly endorsing Dana's BS, it all goes to shit exponentially faster.

It's really not that big of a deal and tons of people in this thread are being overly dramatic. People are still getting title shots who should be getting title shots. Ala Reem and Wonderboy as recent examples. Jones would have got his title shot as well if not for all the screw ups.

02/01/2014 UFC 169 Barao vs Faber II 230,000
05/24/2014 UFC 173 Barao vs Dillashaw 215,000
09/27/2014 UFC 178 Johnson vs Cariaso 205,000

Even Mighty Mouse and Barao beat Aldo in terms of PPV buys - that's pathetic!

Why doesn't Aldo's bitch ass move up to 155 to fight mcgregor if he wants the rematch so bad? It could be the next fight but he a pussy and a cry baby

IF the NFL ran off PPV profits you can bet your damn ass that only the games with popular players would be shown on TV, same with any other sport in the world. Many sports are lucky to have different business models due to their age and entrenchment in American culture but with the PPV model, whatever sells rules the sport. How many times have you seen a boxing champ in a lower division jump up straight into a title fight in a higher division because they're popular. It literally happens ALL THE FUCKING TIME. They don't have to get a few wins to challenge for the title, they get the shot straight away because the promoter knows the fight will sell. I guess that means boxing is a joke sport too with no legitimacy?

You people are deluded about the reality of sports in the 21st century and ignorant of the business models that affect them, who the fuck cares what you idiots think?

And I agree with it wild. People are supposed to have a variety of opinions. What I don't tolerate is people claiming that Aldo legacy is bullshit and that is OK everything the UFC has done, because is not.

It's a joke Bisping defending his belt against Hendo. It's a joke Aldo doesn't have a rematch, it's a joke Khabib is the n1 contender and certainly is a joke that Jones isn't headlining the next PPV.

Meanwhile, everyone has to hear the shit Conor has to say, when his path to the gold was very very created by Dana. Yes, he KO Aldo in seconds and precisely for that a rematch was in need. Why else would he be entitled to one after being choked? And also, that nate rematch is not coming

UFC 207 Aldo vs. McGregor
UFC 209 Nate vs. McGregor for the LW title

but yeah, poor Khabib gotta wait till it all playz out... maybe international fight week 2017.

th

If the Aldo that was tearing up the WEC was still around he would be a lot popular.

He looked good against frankie but I would like that killer instinct to come back.

A ufc press conference with conor probably gets more viewers then a fight night card lol

You groupies care way too much about how much money the UFC makes.

LOLOLOLOLOL

Only on the internet does a fan care about Pay Per View buys

I just want to see them fight again. Conor beat the most dominant champ ever at 145. There is typically a rematch in every case like this since fighting sports have been invented. Aldo beat the number 1 contender very solidly and earned other shot as if being a champ for 6 years wasn't enough.

UFC wants to see Conor hold two belts badly, so bad that they are ruining the rankings and integrity of the " sport ". After Conor lost to Nate this fantasy should have been over, then they made a rematch of a freaking replacement fighter LOL.

This shit is wrong!

I like to watch good fights but I'm pretty much sick of the path this has taken. If this is the new UFC it's going to be a complete circus.

Rumble and Jones for the Interm belt ?

UFC fans are just as embarassing as WWE fans. They act like they're fucking businessmen and put so much merit into who sells more and who draws more when it comes to determining their favorites. The difference is that it's even worse for UFC groupies because MMA is an actual competitive sport where talent matters.

I really dont care if they sell 10 million PPV´s, or 100k, or fight on FS1 for free.....Why would i care? Why would anyone not in the UFC business would care?

All anyone will ever remember is 13 seconds. His career is that forgettable, even though he is the 145 GOAT.

Probably, but just like Cain vs JDS 1, it didnt proved much between them, 2nd and 3rd fight did, lets wait for Conor vs Aldo trilogy (hopefully).

If Fedor can be considered the GOAT without speaking English or fighting in the UFC, then Aldo can as well.

There is no excuse for UFC's blatant favoritism, laziness, and lies.

Fedor was a heavyweight.
Fedor never had even one boring fight.
His finish rate was insane.
Fedor was beloved by all of his peers and was truly a great person.

Aldo hasn't been "exciting" for a looooonnnnngggg time.
Aldo very much keeps to himself (his right by the way)
Aldo always seems to have excuses and often times isn't the most gracious person in defeat.

Can't compare the two AT ALL.

Conor had the full force of the UFC marketing machine pushing him from his first UFC fight. I'm not saying Conor isn't a talented marketer himself, but that cannot be denied. And many people ignore it.

The amount of money and attention The UFC spent marketing Conor is what made the public animal we see today. Where as many of the top elite fighters (like Jose) don't get any "special" push like he did.

You sound like the people who say conor didn't start his act until ufc, when he has done the same talking and weigh in antics since he turned pro. He didn't get any significant backing until after max fight

Probably, but just like Cain vs JDS 1, it didnt proved much between them, 2nd and 3rd fight did, lets wait for Conor vs Aldo trilogy (hopefully).
It proves everything until it proves nothing if you understand my point. Aldo is just terrible at marketing himself. He was given a huge opportunity at 205 and instead cries and wants to retire.

If Fedor can be considered the GOAT without speaking English or fighting in the UFC, then Aldo can as well.

There is no excuse for UFC's blatant favoritism, laziness, and lies.

TL;DR - I've seen the Fedor comparison a few times and there's a lot right with it, but there's also a lot wrong with it.

The ramble:

First off, Pride was as much spectacle as the UFC is now or even more. It was definitely NOT just about the highest calibre athletes fighting one another and anyone who thinks so has revisionist history problems. Pride was a fucking circus and any honest MMA fan that's been around long enough acknowledges that. So don't pretend the UFC is debasing a sport that's always been at least part carnival side show. The UFC was honestly a lot more honest representation of the best fighting the best up until fairly recently. Fedor himself has a resume full of lop-sided matchups and absolute cartoon fights, with the occasional fight of a monster ('sup Kevin) thrown in there to keep everyone's respect of the man's real skills.

Secondly, because of those self-same freak shows, can crushing matches and full knowledge that Pride tested for exactly fucking nothing, there are LOTS of people who question the legitimacy of Fedor's claim to GOAT. I'm not going to get into that, but I will point out the 'can be considered' in the quote above and say that it isn't the same as 'is considered'. Not in terms of unanimous anyway.

Now on the opposite side, Pride DID back the hell out of Fedor. They touted him as the best, they marketed that and they went along with the Russian Mafi...I mean M1 Global and kept that train rolling. That's about the only solid point the comparison has. The UFC couldn't, and never did, give a shake of piss about Aldo. The exposure, or lack of, totally showed that. To be fair, though, I never got the impression that Aldo gave a squirt about them either. He definitely was a man going to work to punch a clock in his later years. There's no love lost on either side that I can see. But he didn't necessarily hand the UFC a ton to work with.

McGregor just made it easy on them. When he was off injured, he somehow managed to spin himself as something to be watched when he got back. The UFC didn't BUILD him up. They just did what anyone wanting to seem like a leader does: see which way the crowd is running and then run to the front.

Back