Al Bernstein destroys Stephen A Smith

Seano

Hands of bone
@plutonium
Reaction score
"I seldom criticize sportscasting colleagues, BUT I cringe when announcers who don’t really follow boxing denigrate fighters for no reason. Perhaps before Stephen A. Smith said that Horn opponents Randall Bailey and Ali Funeka 'give new meaning to the term no names' he might have done 5 minutes of research and realized that Bailey only 5 years ago was a world champion and as recently as 6 years ago Funeka fought twice for a world title," Bernstein stated.

"Are they household names to all sports or boxing fans … no. Were they aging fighters that Horn could build his name with … yes. But within the sport they are not no names. It is awful to read their names and a few others in a mocking tone and suggest they’re some kind of bums. These two men had excellent careers.

"When asked 'what do you have on Jeff Horn?' Smith said, 'gotta admit don’t have much on this dude.' Really? How could you admit that on National TV when you are paid to cover this 'dude.' Then he denigrated Horn’s opponents without knowing anything about them … When I have covered other sports beyond boxing I make it my business to NOT overreach and make statements on no knowledge. Instead I actually prepare, so that I can stay in my lane, be factual, and do the job I’m being paid for."

http://www.boxingscene.com/al-bernstein-rips-stephen-smith-mocking-horns-wins-foes--118125

Bravo.

Stephen A hangs out with Max for 6 months and thinks he all of a sudden knows boxing lol

He doesn't know shit about MMA either

Stephen A Smith is terrible. I've always liked Bernstein.

Stephen A hangs out with Max for 6 months and thinks he all of a sudden knows boxing lol

That and mayweather let him hang out with him for a few days. He's always starts of talking about Floyd by saying "he's a close personal friend ". I'm sure they are besties and hang out all the time

Pretty much how it is with all the people on daytime sports shows. Skip Bayless will talk for hours about Mayweather-McGregor and people will care what he has to say, but I guarantee he couldn't name 10 active fighters.

He's only employed there because he's black lol.. only reason why I ever watched him was because of skip bayless.. glad bayless left because him and Shannon are great.

Pretty much how it is with all the people on daytime sports shows. Skip Bayless will talk for hours about Mayweather-McGregor and people will care what he has to say, but I guarantee he couldn't name 10 active fighters.
Skip however never claimed he's this "genius" with "inside sources" though lol

He's only employed there because he's black lol.. only reason why I ever watched him was because of skip bayless.. glad bayless left because him and Shannon are great.

For as bad as A is Skip is much worse imo

For as bad as A is Skip is much worse imo

Well I mean it's not that far fetched tbh .. Floyd is not knowing to be a ko fighter and Conor is the bigger guy and has power in his hands..would I bet on Conor ko'ing Floyd?? Hell no lol

Skip Bayless is also unbelievably terrible. Perhaps even worse than Smith. Why anyone takes either even remotely seriously is beyond me.

Skip Bayless is also unbelievably terrible. Perhaps even worse than Smith. Why anyone takes either even remotely seriously is beyond me.
Skip is more of an entertainment guy though.. a smith thinks he's some kind of guru and that he's 'best friends' with any star that he gets a a selfie with

Skip is more of an entertainment guy though.. a smith thinks he's some kind of guru and that he's 'best friends' with any star that he gets a a selfie with

Who is entertained by a guy talking complete nonsense?

Totally agree. Stephen A Smith is horrible, just horrible. I found myself marveling at how he is actually paid to be an annoying idiot.

"I seldom criticize sportscasting colleagues, BUT I cringe when announcers who don’t really follow boxing denigrate fighters for no reason. Perhaps before Stephen A. Smith said that Horn opponents Randall Bailey and Ali Funeka 'give new meaning to the term no names' he might have done 5 minutes of research and realized that Bailey only 5 years ago was a world champion and as recently as 6 years ago Funeka fought twice for a world title," Bernstein stated.

On the night you mentioned Funeka and I mentioned Bailey in the same regard. Ridiculous rant by Smith.

That and mayweather let him hang out with him for a few days. He's always starts of talking about Floyd by saying "he's a close personal friend ". I'm sure they are besties and hang out all the time
SNL took the piss out of him for saying he was ' close, personal friends' with all these athletes in a skit. Was quite funny

Bernstein is a pretty good analyst. He knows a lot more about boxing than Smith will ever know and that includes Kellerman too. As bad as Smith is, Bayless is worse. Turn the commentary off unless the analysts are respectable enough to listen to (can certainly depend on their bias as well). Bernstein's been doing this for a very long time, well before Kellerman was even making rap videos and nobody knew who the hell Smith or Bayless were.

Last edited:
Good for him.

Smith is a pathetic joke.

I actually lost money on the Bailey fight. Thought he had it in the bag and I went nuts when he legit dropped Horn but it wasn't enough. I even got that fight set up here so I could lose vcash too.

Is Smith the guy that basically yells and talks pretty ghettoish?

Back