After Smith/Ladd Falls Apart, UFC Pays Smith Her Show/Win Money & Opts Not to Re-Sign Her

Her paycheck and the fact that Leslie is 4-3 are reasons for the UFC not to re sign her. The deal breakers where her union effort and not taking this fight.
mv5a_f-maxage-0.gif

probably had more to do with turning down a fight when you're opponent is only 2 pounds over.

That's what the 20% is for.

what are the chances Leslie Smith ever makes a 62k payday again?

I think by paying her in full, they were able to count that as a fight that occurred, and not have to rebook her in order to end her agreement.

Kajan Johnson is also part of the unionization efforts. I wonder when he's gonna get the boot.

UFC paid her Win/Show money even though Ladd didn't make weight and the fight was cancelled. This fulfilled the final fight of her contract and the UFC is not interested in re-signing her to a new deal.

Do you think the fact that she's outspoken about unionizing through Project Spearhead that they opted not to re-sign her to a new deal?

might have played a part.

the fact that her last couple of fights havnt been great and shes already been fed to cyborg might be part

the fact that shes 35 might play a part

for me though..

its the last fight on your contract.. your opponent misses weight by less than 2lbs because shes on her period..

TAKE THE FUCKING FIGHT...

<{cruzshake}><{nope}>

One does not get rid of a fighter for being a poor fighter if she is exciting enough to get a FOTN victory followed by a TKO victory in her last two outings. Still the UFC would be disappointed? C'mon, that assessment is clearly ludicrous.

shes 35 and just turned down a fight for the sake of 2lb

if they were worried about the union letting her go isnt the answer.. gives her more freedom and leaway to focus on that.

They paid her out so she can't claim retaliation. I don't understand why fighters would get involved in this. This is a job for lawyers. They take on all the risk (expenses) and then if they succeed, you get to pay a shit load of money to the union to make up for it. Smith is probably just not interested in fighting, is what it comes down to. With her record and the shit pay for anyone other than a superstar in the women's division, if you aren't going to be champ, there's no point.

God damn! She had 31/k31k??

Surprised she didn't take the fight honestly

I guess we know the first guest of the MMA Hour already. Ariel can't wait to get her on his show now.

It looks good for business.
It does, but they didn't seem to care much about that when they robbed Dodson of his show money. As well as the other guys from UFC 223. Maybe it's the backlash from that, but I don't think a lot of people would care if Smith didn't get her win money.

Oh you mean the FOTN against Aldana and the Lemos tko

Nothing at all to do with Project Spearhead of course

The FOTN v Aldana just demonstrates how fucking awful that card was. That card didnt deserve anyone getting fight of the night. it sucked.

You are obviously a fan of hers and can't accept the truth... just refused to take a fight because of less than a pound of weight

Should I conclude you are obviously a hater because you discarded the actual truth in order to claim that 1.8 lbs over (weighed in at 137.8 lbs) is less "a pound of weight"?

A low level fighter with a mediocre record... and you think they'll miss her because she won a FOTN once? That is beyond delusional
4-3 in wmma UFC at 62,000 is a good reason to cut her.

If one (properly, I think) discounts the time that she did the UFC a big favor by going up in weight (she's a rather small bantamweight) to fight Cyborg in Brazil when nobody else was eager to do so, then Smith is on a 3 fight win streak, with one of those wins a TKO and another a FOTN victory. One of the other losses was just a doctor stoppage when her cauliflower ear exploded and she was begging to be allowed to continue the fight. Not really a bad UFC record if you know better than to just consider numbers out of context.

That is beyond delusional

giphy.gif

Back